Cleaning Piano Keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning Piano Keys

What is recommended for cleaning piano keys? I don't fancy using alcohol wipes.
    My keys are wood with synthetic ebony and ivory keytops
    Thanks.
    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Originally posted by Megan View Post
    What is recommended for cleaning piano keys? I don't fancy using alcohol wipes.
    My keys are wood with synthetic ebony and ivory keytops
    Thanks.

For normal cleaning I simply use a slightly damp cloth and possibly a few drops of white vinegar. However if you wish to disinfect the keys here are recommendations from Steinway:

To disinfect your piano — the keys are the most important part. Over-the-counter hydrogen peroxide available from any pharmacy, is safe for piano keys.

Dampen a cotton pad with hydrogen peroxide and use the pad to wipe down the piano keytops (back to front) between players.

Use diluted alcohol-based disinfectants, do not use bleach-based disinfectants or any product containing citrus.

If using a spray or liquid bottle, use a disposable pads or soft cloths. Put the disinfectant on the towel and not the piano.

Always follow up with a dry towel and never leave any liquids on the piano or keys.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thank you, Peter.
      ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Working...
      X