Linguistic doubt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linguistic doubt.

Some author speaks about the concerto grosso and composition in blocks. As by the context it is likely that you understand the meaning of "composition in blocks", I ask: What would be a way of expressing this concept, composition in blocks, in a form more congenial with the English language?

Groups - there are two groups that share the music - a small combination of soloists (concertino) which are contrasted with the orchestra.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Groups - there are two groups that share the music - a small combination of soloists (concertino) which are contrasted with the orchestra.
      The orchestral "intermissions" are called ripieno.

A concerto grosso consists thus of a concertino-"block", the music played by the soloist(s) and a ripieno-"block", consisting of the "orchestral intermissions" (where the solist(s) don't play) and extended with the passages of the usually sparse orchestral accompaniment. So there are two groups or "blocks", most of the time opposed to each other, sometimes collaborating.

Please note that the orchestral opening/introduction of the first mvt of a "classical" concerto, say Mozart's or Beethoven's concerti, sometimes is called a ripieno as well, then opposed to the solo or concertante part following that orchestral opening, without any "blocks" as in the concerto grosso obviously.

Comment

Thank you very much, guys. I know many of you think I speak English. Actually, I do not. And the fact that you did not understand the question proves it. When I said "more congenial with the English language" I was really asking for a translation from Spanish into English. The original text is in Spanish, "composiciĆ³n en bloques", and I want to translate it into English. But as you have perfectly understood the words, I think I will directly translate as "composition in blocks".

That is to say, this question was not about music but about grammar. If I say "composition in blocks" in the middle of a conversation about music, what would a native English speaker understand?

The words (equivalent spanish words) were employed in a remark about Mozart's sinfonia concertante K.364.

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post

If I say "composition in blocks" in the middle of a conversation about music, what would a native English speaker understand?
          Very little probably! It has to be used in the context you provided us with.
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

So, it belongs to the character and style of the English language, does it not?

Comment

So, it belongs to the character and style of the English language, does it not?
              I'm not sure what you mean Enrique
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

I can say "The teacher is giving a lesson to the pupils". Perhaps this is grammatically correct. But Englishmen would rather say "The teacher is giving the pupils a lesson". The same with "North Atlantic Treaty Organization" and "Organization of the treaty of the North Atlantic". The former is more English, to say that way. This is what I mean by "belonging to the character and style of the English language. If I can make up a new word, I could ask "Is 'composition in blocks' anti idiomatic?"

Comment

I can say "The teacher is giving a lesson to the pupils". Perhaps this is grammatically correct. But Englishmen would rather say "The teacher is giving the pupils a lesson". The same with "North Atlantic Treaty Organization" and "Organization of the treaty of the North Atlantic". The former is more English, to say that way. This is what I mean by "belonging to the character and style of the English language. If I can make up a new word, I could ask "Is 'composition in blocks' anti idiomatic?"
                  I would say that in the context you used (Concerto Grosso) it isn't the normal way of expressing the meaning. We are more likely to say opposing groups in this context.
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                  X