Poetry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poetry

I've been into growing roses this year and recently came across this rather beautiful poem. Jane Montgomery Campbell was a writer and a music teacher.

At the silence of twilight's contemplative hour,
    I have mused in a sorrowful mood,
    On the wind-shaken weeds that embosom the bower,
    Where the home of my forefathers stood.
    All ruin'd and wild is their roofless abode;
    And lonely the dark raven's sheltering tree;
    And travell'd by few is the grass-cover'd road,
    Where the hunter of deer and the warrior trode,
    To his hills that encircle the sea.

Wandering I found, in my ruinous walk,
    By the dial-stone aged and green,
    A rose of the wilderness, left on its stalk
    To mark where a garden had been.
    Like a brotherless hermit, the last of his race
    All wild in the silence of nature, it drew
    from each wandering sunbeam a lonely embrace
    For the night-shade and thorn had overshadowed the place
    Where the flowers of my forefathers grew.

Jane Montgomery Campbell (1817-1878)

🎹

Lovely poem Megan - I've quite a few Rose bushes in my garden, alas after a very wet start to the summer, a lot of blackspot to go with them.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Lovely poem Megan - I've quite a few Rose bushes in my garden, alas after a very wet start to the summer, a lot of blackspot to go with them.
      Yes, the unseasonal amount of rainfall early summer onwards did ruin some beautiful blooms that turned mildewy. I just nip off any leaves that have blackspot to prevent it spreading. I haven't bothered with sprays as yet.
      Next year I will look to purchasing roses that are viturally disease resitant.
      🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
        Yes, the unseasonal amount of rainfall early summer onwards did ruin some beautiful blooms that turned mildewy. I just nip off any leaves that have blackspot to prevent it spreading. I haven't bothered with sprays as yet.
        Next year I will look to purchasing roses that are viturally disease resitant.
        From what other gardeners tell me, all roses eventually succumb no matter how 'disease-resistant' they're meant to be! I agree about not spraying as I garden organically, but there is no really effective organic treatment - I've tried the lot. No I just live with it and enjoy the blooms - I still have plenty in flower even now.

If you do want to go down the so called disease resistant route, then I'd personally avoid the David Austin roses which are marketed as that - I have several that have black spot quite badly. I'd look out for Mattocks Kordes roses - http://www.mattocks.co.uk/RVE692af37...b719afc,,.aspx

I'd dig most of mine up and replant with those, but you can't do that with roses unfortunately unless you take out all the soil as well!
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          From what other gardeners tell me, all roses eventually succumb no matter how 'disease-resistant' they're meant to be! I agree about not spraying as I garden organically, but there is no really effective organic treatment - I've tried the lot. No I just live with it and enjoy the blooms - I still have plenty in flower even now.

If you do want to go down the so called disease resistant route, then I'd personally avoid the David Austin roses which are marketed as that - I have several that have black spot quite badly. I'd look out for Mattocks Kordes roses - http://www.mattocks.co.uk/RVE692af37...b719afc,,.aspx

I'd dig most of mine up and replant with those, but you can't do that with roses unfortunately unless you take out all the soil as well!

David Austin Roses, Thanks for the warning, I received their catalogue just a week ago.
          Thank you for the lovely link to Mattocks. Which I shall browse a leisure.

I seemed to have kept blackspot under control by nipping off the affected leaves, it doesn't spread , or didn't seem to spread so rapidly. I would hate to denude my poor roses though.
          Although I am a bit of a novice, I really want to avoid using sprays.
          🎹

Comment

Working...
          X