hello. i'm new.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hello. i'm new.

Hi. I'm Mary. I'm 17 years old and no one my age really realizes good music. As for me I don't think, I know Beethoven was and still is the best composer of all time. My interest of this man started when I was just a little girl. Everyone on my dad's side of the family were pianists and I couldn't wait til they could teach me how to play. I thought my father was the best pianist there was and I told him so. He just smiled at me and told me all about beethoven and he even played a few of his songs. My eyes lit up wondering how a blind man could compose such beautiful and unique music. Til this day, everytime I sit by a piano and perform i truly wish I was him. He is my inspiration and I hope some day I can be just as good as he was.

Welcome, Mary. When I was 17 (not too long ago ) I too found it difficult to find people who loved the world's great music. You are fortunate to have had such a musical father - my father couldn't even manage to sit through five minutes of Beethoven without complaining! Fortunately not so with my mother.

In college ("University" for you Europeans) I met a fellow who was a big Mozart lover, and so we were able to endlessly debate who was the superior composer (with me taking the side of Beethoven, of course!). So, don't worry - as you get older and meet more people, I'm sure you find others with tastes simlar to your own. In the mean time, enjoy the forum here.

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited May 17, 2003).]

Comment

Originally posted by future_beethoveness:
      My eyes lit up wondering how a blind man could compose such beautiful and unique music.
      Hello and welcome to the forum.

I didn't know that Beethoven was blind as well as deaf.

Incidently, blind people are often very musical.

Melvyn.

Comment

Originally posted by melvyn:
        Hello and welcome to the forum.

I didn't know that Beethoven was blind as well as deaf.

Incidently, blind people are often very musical.

Melvyn.

Hello!

I think he was not blind, only deaf, the only blind one I know of was Bach.
        "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Welcome Mary,

How very fortunate your are to have a family with a musical background. I am afraid I gave up classical guitar lessons years back.

Beethoven was definately not blind, but became increasingly deaf, I think from about 1796.
          It was Handel and Bach who sadly became blind.

Lysander.

[This message has been edited by lysander (edited May 17, 2003).]

Comment

Hello, Mary! I understand very well what you're going through. Growing up in rural Nebraska, I also met almost nobody who really appreciated great music till I went to college. Fortunately my mother is a very cultured and intelligent person who loved not only great music but also poetry, literature, painting and sculpture. She has said that my father, who died when I was very young, married her partly because she was the only woman who would go to performances of Bach cantatas with him! He was a violinist and a physicist, and he must have been good on the violin because we had such things as all the Beethoven violin/piano sonatas and all the Bach unaccompanied sonatas in our music library.

As I trust you are discovering, there are many of us out there who love great music. Keep playing the masters' music! Maybe you will be the next Artur Schnabel.

Comment

hi mary:
              welcome to the forum.
              i hope we will find good friends to let you know more and love music through understanding there meanings while playing it and that will be the best performance.
              i want to tell you that you were lucky to have a musical family,not business ones who won't let you play in order not to get drifted by music from the real world.

Comment

Music is the real world.
                "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

No one my age really realizes good music.
                  --------------------------------------------
                  Hi Mary ..Welcome to the forum!

I think it's not always a matter of age to realize good music ..It's -from my point of view- a matter of being a sensetive person or not...It's that sensitivity wich makes you being interested in good music,poetry,painting and all these great arts ..
                  I think you're lucky to have a family interested in music...Actually I don't..I 've been learning the piano since one year only ..although it's so late..I'm 22!

[This message has been edited by Ahmad (edited May 20, 2003).]

Comment

Ha !too late eh! I've just completed my first year of piano at the age of fifty!
                    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Welcome!
                      I know how you feel. I'm 23 and find it virtually impossible to find anyone even close to my own age who has any interest in classical music. They are all brainwashed into the MTV, disposable pop culture that tells you anything old is rubbish.
                      I think potentially young people are the BEST equiped to enjoy classical music (no offence intended to older people), as they have all the love of beauty and thirst for idealism characteristic of youth, which classical music can provide better than anything else.
                      "It is only as an aesthetic experience that existence is eternally justified" - Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                        Ha !too late eh! I've just completed my first year of piano at the age of fifty!
                        Hi Spaceray..
                        You'r raelly a great man ..What's the level you've reached now..(ie :the hardest piece you perform well on the piano?)..

Comment

Bach minuet in G, a grade four arrangment I understand. I am female.
                          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Working...
                          X