Favourites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourites

My personal favourite is Fur Elise as it is the first real piece i learnt to play.
    I havent actually heard many Beethoven pieces so if anyone could offer advice towards better pieces then please tell me them.

P.S
    Sorry if this has been up before but i only found this page today

You can hear some less well known pieces of music at this site if you go to the 'Rare Beethoven' page. Here's the link:
    http://www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/rare.html

Soon this page will offer the better known works performed on period instruments, so stick around!

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony:
      My personal favourite is Fur Elise as it is the first real piece i learnt to play.
      I havent actually heard many Beethoven pieces so if anyone could offer advice towards better pieces then please tell me them.

P.S
      Well, in the meantime if you're just starting out with Beethoven, try any of his symphonies, the Piano Concertos 3, 4 and 5, and the Violin Concerto. These are all masterpieces of the standard reperory. For solo piano the most popular sonatas are probably the Moonlight, Pathetique, Appassionata, Waldstein and Hammerklavier.
      I also really love no. 26, Les Adiuex. If you like opera, Fidelio. You probably can't go wrong with any of these while waiting for Rod's period instrument postings.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited April 01, 2003).]
      See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony:

P.S
        That's one of the first pieces I learned to play a long time ago when I was first practicing. There's also some Sonatinas that might interest you for playing and the Minuet in G. For listening the 9th Symphony is nearly everyone's favourite. For Piano Sonatas there's always The Moonlight, and The Waldstein as Chaszz mentioned and The Pathetique.

Joy
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Thanks For your Advice i will have to get a music book from the music shop unless anyone knows any websites to get them of

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
            Well, in the meantime if you're just starting out with Beethoven, try any of his symphonies, the Piano Concertos 3, 4 and 5, and the Violin Concerto. These are all masterpieces of the standard reperory. For solo piano the most popular sonatas are probably the Moonlight, Pathetique, Appassionata, Waldstein and Hammerklavier.
            I also really love no. 26, Les Adiuex. If you like opera, Fidelio. You probably can't go wrong with any of these while waiting for Rod's period instrument postings.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited April 01, 2003).]

Good heavens! Don't forget the overtures!

Comment

Of the better-known piano sonatas, my personal favorite is the Appasionata, No. 23. No one before, and few since, have packed such sheer intensity into piano music.

Comment

Originally posted by John Rasmussen:
                Of the better-known piano sonatas, my personal favorite is the Appasionata, No. 23. No one before, and few since, have packed such sheer intensity into piano music.

That is also my personal favorite. If I ever could master the technical side of this I don't think I have the physical stamina to master the emotional side.

Comment

Originally posted by John Rasmussen:
                  I agree about the intensity of the music. It is indeed very passionate, a good nickname for the piece. I love it every time I hear it. It must be exhausting to play!

Joy
                  'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                    I agree about the intensity of the music. It is indeed very passionate, a good nickname for the piece. I love it every time I hear it. It must be exhausting to play!

Joy

I was just looking at the final movement to this sonata last night. While it doesn't seem all that difficult, as I had imagined, from a technical side the emotional impact as well as the sheer, driving intensity would be very exhausting.

Comment

Working...
                    X