Flute trio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flute trio

I have been enjoying B's major works for many years, and am now getting into the lesser known pieces. I am particularly fond of chamber music, so I picked up the VoxBox of JP Rampal "Complete CM for Flute". They were very negligent in giving pieces a catalog number(except for Opus's, and we know those anyway), but I have been able to track all of them down except the "Trio in G for 3 Flutes". I was able to find a "Bia" listing, but never heard of that before. Would anyone care to enlighten me? Thanks in advance,
    Gurn
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
    I have been enjoying B's major works for many years, and am now getting into the lesser known pieces. I am particularly fond of chamber music, so I picked up the VoxBox of JP Rampal "Complete CM for Flute". They were very negligent in giving pieces a catalog number(except for Opus's, and we know those anyway), but I have been able to track all of them down except the "Trio in G for 3 Flutes". I was able to find a "Bia" listing, but never heard of that before. Would anyone care to enlighten me? Thanks in advance,
    Gurn
    I possess this Vox box set. I must say that a large proportion of the music in the set is not Beethovens. The arrangement of op25 for flute and piano is not Beethoven's, I think he only corrected the work of someone else. Also there is a sonata that is of very uncertain origin, and this trio you mention - which I think also does not sound very Beethovenian to me. I suggest the sonata and the trio are not Beethoven's, and perhaps this is why they are not catalogued.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      I possess this Vox box set. I must say that a large proportion of the music in the set is not Beethovens. The arrangement of op25 for flute and piano is not Beethoven's, I think he only corrected the work of someone else.
      Also there is a sonata that is of very uncertain origin, and this trio you mention -which I think also does not sound very Beethovenian to me. I suggest the sonata and the trio are not Beethoven's, and perhaps this is why they are not catalogued.

Yes, I read that somewhere about the flute and piano arrangement,(that would be "Opus 41", eh?). There actually seemed to be a lot of that going on at the time. In the CPO Complete CM for Winds there is a pretty good discussion of that, indicating that the practice generally had B's approval and even cooperation to some extent. As far as not sounding 'Beethovenian', I guess I would agree with that, but then much of the early music, esp. for small ensembles, is in no way reminiscent of the later works, when B devised a way to get orchestral power out of a string quartet! I am really not knowledgable enough to comment with any authority, but I do find most of these works to be at least pleasant (for flute music ;-)), and at best the work of a promising composer who hadn't quite figured everything out yet, be it B or some other. Thanks for you reply. Now, if someone can just tell me something about "Bia" and where I can get a listing...
      Gurn
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        I possess this Vox box set. I must say that a large proportion of the music in the set is not Beethovens. The arrangement of op25 for flute and piano is not Beethoven's, I think he only corrected the work of someone else. Also there is a sonata that is of very uncertain origin, and this trio you mention - which I think also does not sound very Beethovenian to me. I suggest the sonata and the trio are not Beethoven's, and perhaps this is why they are not catalogued.

Oh! I hope the Trio WoO37 is not included amongst the doubtful and not-so-beethovenian early flute pieces mentioned above, because I have always thought the adagio from this trio is one of Beethoven's most beautiful ones(although it's not so beethovenian).

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
          Oh! I hope the Trio WoO37 is not included amongst the doubtful and not-so-beethovenian early flute pieces mentioned above, because I have always thought the adagio from this trio is one of Beethoven's most beautiful ones(although it's not so beethovenian).
          Don't worry, WoO37 is Beethoven's.

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston View Post
            I have been enjoying B's major works for many years, and am now getting into the lesser known pieces. I am particularly fond of chamber music, so I picked up the VoxBox of JP Rampal "Complete CM for Flute". They were very negligent in giving pieces a catalog number(except for Opus's, and we know those anyway), but I have been able to track all of them down except the "Trio in G for 3 Flutes". I was able to find a "Bia" listing, but never heard of that before. Would anyone care to enlighten me? Thanks in advance, Gurn
            This trio (Biamonti Catalogo [1968 edition] p.1059) only does exist in a copy in possession of Rampal who in the "Supplement" to the Kinsky-Halm (Kurt Dorfmüller [ed] Beträge zur Beethoven-bibliographie. Studien und Materialien zum Werkverzeichnis von Kinky-Halm, München 1978) p.403 states that there isn't any clue whatsoever that this manuscript has any relationship to Beethoven whatsoever. Rampal's manuscript has got at least three previous owners, but a relationship with Beethoven or members of his circle cannot be proven.
            Biamonti's remark that the original might be from Bohemian origin so far couldn't be confirmed by Czech or Slowak libraries or archives.

Comment

Working...
            X