beethoven geneology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

beethoven geneology

I recently visited a small exhibit on African-American Inventors at a local college. There was a depiction of Beethoven as a 'dark skinned man with frizzy hair',indicating that he was a Mulatto. The article indicated that this was a little known fact about Beethoven. Any truth to this or just somebody's 'wish it were true'?

No, there is no reason to think there is any truth to this, and a lot of reasons to think it is complete nonsense. Search the forum - we have had a few threads about this before.

Comment

Originally posted by bigciti:
      I recently visited a small exhibit on African-American Inventors at a local college. There was a depiction of Beethoven as a 'dark skinned man with frizzy hair',indicating that he was a Mulatto. The article indicated that this was a little known fact about Beethoven. Any truth to this or just somebody's 'wish it were true'?
      I'm afraid it's 100% 'wish it were true' inspired no doubt by the PC propagandists in the US whose obsession with race overrides their interest in basic truths. I only wish they were as interested promoting his music!

Go back to these guys and tell them to forget Beethoven's race altogether for Christ's sake, because we get this question all the time. There are millions of blacks and millions of whites, but there is only ONE Beethoven!

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited October 14, 2002).]
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
      X