Looking for reference to find commercials with Beethoven's music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for reference to find commercials with Beethoven's music

I am desperate...this is my last resort. I need help; I am working on a speech for my speech class and Beethoven is my topic. My thesis is as follows: "Beethoven's music continues to stand the test of time." I am looking for a reference on commercials that use Beethoven's music today. Anybody?

------------------
    <3SELF<3
    <3SELF<3

Originally posted by eleihcar:
    I am desperate...this is my last resort. I need help; I am working on a speech for my speech class and Beethoven is my topic. My thesis is as follows: "Beethoven's music continues to stand the test of time." I am looking for a reference on commercials that use Beethoven's music today. Anybody?

Well, this may not be of any help, but all I can think of at the moment is how some big named financial investment company (Smith-Barney???) used the choral theme of the Choral Fantasy(!) in commercials for quite a while up until the recent past. Or maybe they still do, I don't know.

I just can't think of the details of other B music on teevee...except that I know that there IS some, that I can't recall.

But...some Japanese(?) figure skater used the 'Moonlight' sonata for her routine in the olympics tonight, cutting between the first and third movements. Music was better than the skating, from what I could tell.

[This message has been edited by NickB (edited 02-22-2002).]

Comment

PDG pointed out that the latest TV ad for Kit Kat chocolate features as backing music, LvB's Op.50 Romance in F - I haven't seen it!

The finale of the 6th Symphony was used in the 70's to advertise Tweed perfume - it took me a long time to get over that!

------------------
      'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 02-22-2002).]
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        PDG pointed out that the latest TV ad for Kit Kat chocolate features as backing music, LvB's Op.50 Romance in F - I haven't seen it!

Thank you, Peter, although I'm still registering a big, fat '0' in the responses column!

Other uses of Beethoven music in TV commercials which come to mind are: About 3 years ago, the slow mvt of the 7th Symphony to promote Nike trainers/sneakers (strange; you'd have thought they'd use "fast" music!), and about 15 years ago, when the Natonal Electricity Board went public, the opening of the Eroica.

In the recent series of Alistair McGowan's Big Impression, in a sketch howing how clever David Beckham really is, "Becks" was seen playing a snatch of Fur Elise for "Victoria".

In the marvellous Frasier, Beethoven crops up all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by NickB:
          Well, this may not be of any help, but all I can think of at the moment is how some big named financial investment company (Smith-Barney???) used the choral theme of the Choral Fantasy(!) in commercials for quite a while up until the recent past. Or maybe they still do, I don't know.

I just can't think of the details of other B music on teevee...except that I know that there IS some, that I can't recall.

But...some Japanese(?) figure skater used the 'Moonlight' sonata for her routine in the olympics tonight, cutting between the first and third movements. Music was better than the skating, from what I could tell.

You're right, it was a Japanese figure skater performing her routine to Beethoven. Also on the Olympics the other day during the cross country skiing they played Beethoven's 5th, I think to urge them on as it was a long race and, of course, during the opening ceremonies they played 'Ode to Joy' as they always do at the Olympic ceremonies. It's always been kind of the unofficial Olympic theme song.

Joy

[This message has been edited by NickB (edited 02-22-2002).]
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

There is a new commercial out by Singular Wireless, which features B's 9th Symphony, bluegrass style! At the end, I believe the words on the screen say, "Oh Joy!"

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
              [The finale of the 6th Symphony was used in the 70's to advertise Tweed perfume - it took me a long time to get over that!

[/B]
              Long before that it was used as the signature tune of a BBC rural-roundup type of programme called "Down the Country" which is where I first heard it.

Michael

Comment

The "STARZ" movie channel uses Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" and a commercial for a sleeping aid called "Sonata" used his "Moonlight." How original, eh? Also in PRINT ad, Bose sound systems has an ad that remarks on Beethoven's stature...meaning that small things can produce big sounds.

Comment

After the closing ceremonies of the Olympics NBC TV did a really nice job of montaging pictures of the past two weeks of the Olympic Games to the tune of 'Ode to Joy'. Very enjoyable and well done.
                  They also stated that 'Ode to Joy' is the greatest uplifting song ever written. Quite a statement!!

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 02-26-2002).]

Comment

I live in Brazil and Continental tires were grewing because of recent Mercedes big investiment on factories, the ad had a good recording of the Freunde Schöener Götterfunken part before Ihr, Sturtz nieder in the last mov. of the 9th, the ad said about german excellence, the music really was. :-)
                    "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
                      I live in Brazil and Continental tires were grewing because of recent Mercedes big investiment on factories, the ad had a good recording of the Freunde Schöener Götterfunken part before Ihr, Sturtz nieder in the last mov. of the 9th, the ad said about german excellence, the music really was. :-)
                      Fair enough, but I wouldn't rate all the German composers in Beethoven's class, only Handel and that's about it...

------------------
                      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by eleihcar:
                        I just saw a new commercial for Chuck E. Cheese(pizza joint) with a kid playing a rock version of the 9th on several keyboards.
                        Suz

<font color = green>I edited this so the quoted text would be right. You have to leave the closing tags in for it to work.

Chris</font>

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 03-01-2002).]

Comment

The Dairy Board of Canada (or of Ontario, not sure which) used B's Ode to Joy to advertise milk for a couple of years. The lyrics went: Drink milk, love life. God help us. At least they've moved on, now.

Comment

Oh, you guys are going to love this one. A new commercial here advertising Cingular Wireless phone with the motto 'Oh, Joy'! accompanied by two guitars, and one fiddle. Real country & western 'twang'. Hope that one doesn't last too long.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                              Oh, you guys are going to love this one. A new commercial here advertising Cingular Wireless phone with the motto 'Oh, Joy'! accompanied by two guitars, and one fiddle. Real country & western 'twang'. Hope that one doesn't last too long.

Sort of "Ode to Billy Joy", Joy?

Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X