Clara Schumann: The troubled career of the pianist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clara Schumann: The troubled career of the pianist

Clara Schumann: The troubled career of the pianist.

Clara Schumann resumed her piano career even as her husband Robert lay dying in an asylum. Devoted wife or damaged prodigy? Jessica Duchen investigates.

Robert Schumann, who died 150 years ago this year, would not have written much of his music without his wife, Clara. Muse to Brahms and Schumann, and mother of seven, she is revered as a musician and woman of historical significance. But does this image mask a darker truth about her personality?

Born in 1819, Clara was the daughter of Friedrich Wieck, an ambitious piano teacher who groomed her to be a child prodigy. Schumann, one of Wieck's pupils, lodged in their house and first met Clara when she was a small girl. Later, her father, trying to protect his daughter from this thoroughly unsuitable young man, kept them apart until they took him to court and won the right to marry in 1840. Until then, Schumann filled his works with ciphers and sent them as coded love letters.

Thirteen years of domestic life followed: they settled in Düsseldorf and began to raise their family. But Schumann's dissolute lifestyle in his youth had landed him with syphilis; he was probably also schizophrenic, manic depressive or both; and five months after Johannes Brahms blazed into their house, Schumann tried to drown himself in the Rhine. He died two years later in a mental asylum.

That, though, is not the full story. It appears that Clara - who did not see her husband again until he was on his deathbed - could have brought him home when his condition improved, but chose not to. The writer Bettina von Arnim visited him in Endenich and found him in good health, but in the care of doctors who verged on the sadistic. Effectively imprisoned, Schumann lost the will to live; his death was the result of self-starvation.
    Read on:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...st-468981.html
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Rather unfair on Clara - she tried to visit him but was advised by the doctors not to have contact and that there was no hope of recovery. Schumann's condition fluctuated considerably and when Bettina Von Arnim visited it was during a good phase. Dr.Richarz at Endenich was known to be particularly humane and progressive, his patients were treated with respect and were rarely put under constraint. Clara wrote in her diary after having seen him on the last few days of his life "It was as if his magnificent spirit hovered above me, oh - if he had only taken me with him! I saw him today for the last time - I placed some flowers on his brow - he has taken my love with him."
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Rather unfair on Clara - she tried to visit him but was advised by the doctors not to have contact and that there was no hope of recovery. Schumann's condition fluctuated considerably and when Bettina Von Arnim visited it was during a good phase. Dr.Richarz at Endenich was known to be particularly humane and progressive, his patients were treated with respect and were rarely put under constraint. Clara wrote in her diary after having seen him on the last few days of his life "It was as if his magnificent spirit hovered above me, oh - if he had only taken me with him! I saw him today for the last time - I placed some flowers on his brow - he has taken my love with him."
      Yes, some of the "asylums" back then were not bad at all! John Clare was also in a rather good one for the times. The article does also address how Clara is seen unfairly- I think the article was trying to show different ways of looking at the situation of poor Robert. I'm still not convinced he had syphilis either- after all no mention is made of Clara being ill, nor their children having congenital problems.
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
        Yes, some of the "asylums" back then were not bad at all! John Clare was also in a rather good one for the times. The article does also address how Clara is seen unfairly- I think the article was trying to show different ways of looking at the situation of poor Robert. I'm still not convinced he had syphilis either- after all no mention is made of Clara being ill, nor their children having congenital problems.
        Well the article still implies a cold-heartedness even when trying to defend her! Clearly the comments in her diary reveal this to be untrue. She suffered a great deal in her life, her son Ludwig was also committed to an asylum. I agree it is strange that she could have escaped syphilis had Robert been infected, but clearly mental instability was in the family, his mother too suffered from it.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Well the article still implies a cold-heartedness even when trying to defend her! Clearly the comments in her diary reveal this to be untrue. She suffered a great deal in her life, her son Ludwig was also committed to an asylum. I agree it is strange that she could have escaped syphilis had Robert been infected, but clearly mental instability was in the family, his mother too suffered from it.
          Well, at times it does, but then the writer goes on to say that Clara was living in an age when one had to put on a stoic face ( in public) and points out that she needed to earn money ( by her concerts). Clara was a tough woman- she walked through a group of soldiers with her children once! It's sad about her son Ludwig- though it is known she didn't visit him hardly at all. One could infer coldness on her part, or one could infer she couldn't face seeing him like that and doctors telling her it was "for the best."

It seems that poor Robert may have had bipolar disorder. I am not convinced it was syphilis that caused his mental illness- but maybe he,or his doctors believed he had it and they gave him Mercury treatments, which we know today causes damage to the nervous system.
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
            Well, at times it does, but then the writer goes on to say that Clara was living in an age when one had to put on a stoic face ( in public) and points out that she needed to earn money ( by her concerts). Clara was a tough woman- she walked through a group of soldiers with her children once! It's sad about her son Ludwig- though it is known she didn't visit him hardly at all. One could infer coldness on her part, or one could infer she couldn't face seeing him like that and doctors telling her it was "for the best."

It seems that poor Robert may have had bipolar disorder. I am not convinced it was syphilis that caused his mental illness- but maybe he,or his doctors believed he had it and they gave him Mercury treatments, which we know today causes damage to the nervous system.
            Clara was certainly a remarkable woman. I have a particular soft spot for her as my teacher was a pupil of one of Clara's pupils - Adelina de Lara.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Clara was certainly a remarkable woman. I have a particular soft spot for her as my teacher was a pupil of one of Clara's pupils - Adelina de Lara.
              There is a nice pedigree!

Comment

Working...
              X