Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Pilgrimage to Beethoven

http://users.belgacom.net/wagnerlibr...se/wagpilg.htm

I cannot work out if this is true, or some kind of fantasy on Wagner's part...but it is interesting to read nevertheless!
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
    http://users.belgacom.net/wagnerlibr...se/wagpilg.htm

I cannot work out if this is true, or some kind of fantasy on Wagner's part...but it is interesting to read nevertheless!
    It's a work of fiction, though very entertaining and well-written (and why not - from a man who wrote his own libretti). He would have been about 14 when Beethoven died.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      It's a work of fiction, though very entertaining and well-written (and why not - from a man who wrote his own libretti). He would have been about 14 when Beethoven died.
      Yes, I thought it might well have been invented. You know what made me think that was the account of the Englishman- he did not seem real, no mention is made of him in Beethoven's letters, nor do any of his friends mention such an Englishman and Beethoven was rather fond of us Brits, judging by his letters and desire to come to London.
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
        Yes, I thought it might well have been invented. You know what made me think that was the account of the Englishman- he did not seem real, no mention is made of him in Beethoven's letters, nor do any of his friends mention such an Englishman and Beethoven was rather fond of us Brits, judging by his letters and desire to come to London.
        Yes it's interesting Beethoven's love of all things English, and though he came close, he never visited - in fact he was actually considering at one time settling in Paris rather than London! I suspect had it not been for his nephew Karl we would have had the honour of a Beethoven visit and who knows, possibly he would have settled?
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          Yes it's interesting Beethoven's love of all things English, and though he came close, he never visited - in fact he was actually considering at one time settling in Paris rather than London! I suspect had it not been for his nephew Karl we would have had the honour of a Beethoven visit and who knows, possibly he would have settled?

Yes maybe if he hadn't been caring for Karl and had been in better health- he did want to come to London for a visit. It would indeed have been an honour to have him here!
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
          X