A cool Beethoven link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A cool Beethoven link

I am sure most of you have seen this but I will post for those who have not. http://www.sjsu.edu/depts/beethoven/...irexhibit.html

------------------
    "To play without passion is inexcusable!" - Ludwig van Beethoven
    "To play without passion is inexcusable!" - Ludwig van Beethoven

I'm pleased this site has sorted itself out - it used to take an age to download! Excellent source of info and it ought to be on my links page, though it is easily found in the search engines! I'm currently reading the Russell Martin book on Beethoven's hair and it is very interesting - I didn't know for example that B's nephew's son (also called Ludwig) was something of a disreputable figure setting himself up as a dealer in bogus Beethoven memorabilia, ending up in prison in 1872 - and B thought Karl was a problem!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      I'm pleased this site has sorted itself out - it used to take an age to download! Excellent source of info and it ought to be on my links page, though it is easily found in the search engines! I'm currently reading the Russell Martin book on Beethoven's hair and it is very interesting - I didn't know for example that B's nephew's son (also called Ludwig) was something of a disreputable figure setting himself up as a dealer in bogus Beethoven memorabilia, ending up in prison in 1872 - and B thought Karl was a problem!

A very interesting book indeed! I learned a lot of new facts myself. I believe Karl's Ludwig also ended up in America for a time. I believe New York City. Don't know what became of him though. Don't think he had any children (males) as that was the end of the Beethoven name.
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
        A very interesting book indeed! I learned a lot of new facts myself. I believe Karl's Ludwig also ended up in America for a time. I believe New York City. Don't know what became of him though. Don't think he had any children (males) as that was the end of the Beethoven name.
        I'm about half way through and it is interesting though much of it not surprisingly is biographical padding. It's certainly been very interesting to learn more about Ferdinand Hiller who played such a large role in the early Romantic movement but is largely forgotten.

Karl's Ludwig married Maria Anna Nitsche in 1865 and had 6 children. He was a journalist in Munich and later lived in the USA, where he was involved with the south pacific railway. He died in Vienna. It was his son
        Karl Julius Maria (1870 - 1917) who was the last of the Beethoven line - for more info see the family tree page on this site which traces Beethoven's Karl's descendants to this day!

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          I'm about half way through and it is interesting though much of it not surprisingly is biographical padding. It's certainly been very interesting to learn more about Ferdinand Hiller who played such a large role in the early Romantic movement but is largely forgotten.

I am also in the book.... Have you read the memories of Ferdinand HILLER ? Very very interesting indeed too.

------------------
          Claudie
          Claudie

Comment

Originally posted by Claudie MICAULT:

I am also in the book.... Have you read the memories of Ferdinand HILLER ? Very very interesting indeed too.

No - is it available in English? So many excellent books and sources including many of B's conversation books I believe haven't been translated. Aren't you translating B's letters into French Claudie?

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
            X