CD Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chopithoven:

I see that my reply caused a debate here!
    Good for you!

I personally have only one complete set of the sonatas: The Jeno Jando recordings on Naxos, which are quite economically priced. The recordings are digital and pretty well done. Not being a pianist, these performances suit my interests pretty well now, for a non-period recording. Others have suggested his Op. 109/110/111 disc (8.550151) is quite good.

I will listen to Op. 111 with "mechanical" in mind ASAP.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chopithoven:
      For Peter and Rod who contradicted me (you can see that I don't know how to post areply to a single message)

At the top of each post are 4 icons - just click on the far right hand one (with an arrow sticking out) and bingo, you can attack directly!

I didn't say that the 32nd was the only perfect sonata beethoven wrote, I said it is a perfect sonata, and of course that many other beethoven sonatas are perfect, but my favourite is the 32nd. I still think it sounds well even played by a sequencer, especially the first movement, since it is quite a mechanical piece.

That may be how Ashkenazy plays it - but no Beethoven is mechanical or should be played as such. Indeed no music, not even scales should be played mechanically. I'm not totally against midi files (indeed there are some on this site - but only because it would be impossible to host so many mp3's) as they can give a rough idea of a piece - the unheard Beethoven site is a good example of this.

PS: I would like you two to recommend me a version of the opus 111 that you enjoy

We already have! Rod: Paul Badura-Skoda and myself Brendel.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

To finish with this subject about the op.111 sonata I want to answer Peter about the midi files: I'm really don't like midis so much as music, the thing I said about them was just to make a comparation and tell you my thoughts about this (I insist) mechanical sonata.

Comment

Originally posted by NickB:

I will listen to Op. 111 with "mechanical" in mind ASAP.
          Please tell me waht does "ASAP" mean. I'm an argentinian student so I don't know that type of vocabulary. Please reply to these doubt here.

Comment

It means, 'as soon as possible'. You've made me wonder if other languages use short-cuts like this, or are English speaking people just a bit lazy?

Susan

Comment

Originally posted by Susan:
              It means, 'as soon as possible'. You've made me wonder if other languages use short-cuts like this, or are English speaking people just a bit lazy?
              Susan, you are right: At least in spanish, my native language, this type of shorcuts don't exist. I thank you for your help and would like your opinion about op.111 sonata if possible.

Comment

Susan
                Don't blame the English! This is an American trend and I don't understand most of these abbreviations either.

------------------
                'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 10-05-2001).]
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                  Don't blame the English! This is an American trend and I don't understand most of these abbreviations either.

I think Susan is not blaming the english. What she says is true for the american, but not for the english, so don't feel blamed.
                  This is the humble opinion of a foreign english student, I don't hope it to be taken into account by anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
                    I think Susan is not blaming the english. What she says is true for the american, but not for the english, so don't feel blamed.
                    This is the humble opinion of a foreign english student, I don't hope it to be taken into account by anybody.

Don't worry! I wasn't being that serious!
                    It's quite true though!

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 10-06-2001).]
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I've been experimenting with midis recently myself. Peter is right in saying that midis can give a rough idea of what a non-electronic work sounds like, (and, I think, would be an interesting way to show the benefits of taking faster tempos with the music because of the lack of readily available faster recordings). When I am writing midi files, I do not write them with accousic performance in mind, they are meant to be electronic pieces. Likewise, when I write accoustic music, I certainly don't intend for it to be performed electronically. It should always be the right instrument for the right piece!

Also, if anyone is interested in hearing these compositions, I would be willing to send some to you by e-mail.

<font color="green">Bob

------------------
                      I'm finally back!

[This message has been edited by Bob-composer (edited 10-06-2001).]
                      I love Piccardy Thirds!

Comment

Originally posted by NickB:
                        Good for you!

I personally have only one complete set of the sonatas: The Jeno Jando recordings on Naxos, which are quite economically priced. The recordings are digital and pretty well done. Not being a pianist, these performances suit my interests pretty well now, for a non-period recording. Others have suggested his Op. 109/110/111 disc (8.550151) is quite good.

Nick, The Jando disc of the last 3 sonatas is very fine, but do you find an annoying recording "click" around 8 minutes into the variation finale of Op.109. Or is it just my copy?

Bernard Roberts on this piece: "One goes through death and resurrection in this piece."

Comment

Susan
                          In France or Germany we do not use short-cuts either.... But it will come with the use of e-mails and internet !

------------------
                          Claudie
                          Claudie

Comment

Originally posted by Claudie MICAULT:
                            In France or Germany we do not use short-cuts either.... But it will come with the use of e-mails and internet !

In British central government departments, especially the military, such short-cuts are an all encompassing way of life!

------------------
                            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:

Nick, The Jando disc of the last 3 sonatas is very fine, but do you find an annoying recording "click" around 8 minutes into the variation finale of Op.109. Or is it just my copy?

Bernard Roberts on this piece: "One goes through death and resurrection in this piece."
                              Intriguing quote.

Sorry, it must be your disc. I've listened now with & without headphones, and I can't discern any extraneous noises during any part of the latter track (track 1 is 6:00, track 2 is 12:58) of the piece.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                                In British central government departments, especially the military, such short-cuts are an all encompassing way of life!

Of course also in France military camp is using short-cuts.... But we do not use them in writing (and I am far to become a militar !).... We have a good "R.A.S" for "Rien à signaler" (Nothing to point out).

I find a pity that in his correspondances B. sometines used short-cuts for the names (only writing an initial...) : it is not always easy to know exactly about whom he spoke (naturally for him it was very clear and also for his correspondants).

------------------
                                Claudie
                                Claudie

Comment

Working...
                                X