X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop,Repair,Prepare

I realise that music is meant to be moving, but this is ridiculous:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/30/ar...oo29M5nPUqqeLA

Well I agree but I think I know someone who won't - step forward sir!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Waving a red rag in front of a bull, or throwing juicy rotting morsels in front of a Great White shark's maw, I suppose?
      Well, it's the weekend, why not? Before I take the bait, or gore the foolish "picador" who gets too close, we require a little context. Michael needs to make his position clearer (only then, surely, can Peter agree).
      Last edited by Quijote; 01-30-2009, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Nobody going to enter the Plaza de Toros? Nobody fancies taking a dip into shark-invested waters?

The bull wanders off out into la Sierra, the Great White swims off seeking other prey ...

Comment

Wearing such a tutu, it would make an interesting ballet.

Or how about 'on ice'?...

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
            Wearing such a tutu, it would make an interesting ballet.

Or how about 'on ice'?...
            Great White shark hesitates, then senses a mere plankton, and continues his hunt for bigger, juicier prey ...

Bull continues on regardless, shirking off an irksome mosquito on his thick skin ...

Comment

Shark, suddenly hungry for even the slightest morsel, turns. It scents something - let's say something provocative. Will he bite?
              Last edited by Quijote; 02-01-2009, 10:30 AM. Reason: Second thoughts

Comment

Young Philip, me lad, I have no interest whatsoever in this sudden pretentious fashion of wearing a piano through your trousers instead of a belt.

You see yourself as a shark? Maybe, but less like Jaws, and more like Gums, I respectfully suggest......
                Last edited by PDG; 02-01-2009, 11:04 PM. Reason: Fine-tuning my acidity...

Comment

Shark smells blood, turns, swims faster now...
                  Bull sees someone bending over with red rag attached to derrière ...
                  Last edited by Quijote; 02-02-2009, 07:32 AM. Reason: Preparing "milk of magnesia" for PDG's stomach burn

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                    Shark smells blood, turns, swims faster now...
                    Bull sees someone bending over with red rag attached to derrière ...
                    I wonder if we're actually going to get a response to the article?
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                      I wonder if we're actually going to get a response to the article?
                      A response to the article? Very well : I found the article slightly interesting, and mildly thought-provoking. Perhaps we can go further when you (plural form) clarify what you find ridiculous. Contemporary art in general? This "mobile installation" in particular, etc etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                        A response to the article? Very well : I found the article slightly interesting, and mildly thought-provoking. Perhaps we can go further when you (plural form) clarify what you find ridiculous. Contemporary art in general? This "mobile installation" in particular, etc etc...
                        Well I do find much contemporary art ridiculous yes (and we have been down this road before) but this isn't the forum to discuss that. I'm responding as Michael was to the article - I find the idea of pushing a piano around a room whilst strumming out the theme of Beethoven's 9th ridiculously amusing and pointless.
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Well I do find much contemporary art ridiculous yes (and we have been down this road before) but this isn't the forum to discuss that. I'm responding as Michael was to the article - I find the idea of pushing a piano around a room whilst strumming out the theme of Beethoven's 9th ridiculously amusing and pointless.
                          That this forum is not the place to discuss issues relating to contemporary art is clear. The fact that it is hard to maintain Beethoven hermetically enclosed in a vacuum less so. If this is not the place to discuss contemporary art (or indeed, to poke fun at it), why did Michael post the article in the first place? And why did you see fit to join in? Was it simply because the "Ode to Joy" gets a mention?

I have given you my initial response to the article above, as requested. If you want me to go further I will be happy to do so.

Comment

Another point : you find the idea (pushing a piano around etc etc ) ridiculous. Once again, I imagine you post such comments expecting to find consensus and validation of your position. Well, don't look to me for that. Have you actually looked into what the artists are trying to "say" (whether or not it finally has any merit)?
                            Would your apoplexy have been so great had the artists chosen a theme by another composer?
                            Last edited by Quijote; 02-03-2009, 06:49 AM.

Comment

What exactly is ridiculous about the piece? If you actually read the article you would probably better understand it. I find this piece to really speak and to have a great political and social significance. Although some modern art may be unattainable, it still can be powerful. I mean, we ARE all talking about it right now. And, obviously, the music was chosen specifically; not because it is just a popular tune. Is anyone thinking?

Comment

Working...
                              X