Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wanting to get started in music theory...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wanting to get started in music theory...

I was wanting to ask some questions about how to get started in music theory, other than attending college. It really means a lot to me to have a thorough understanding of music theory.

I was hoping that y'all knew of some places to get started? For instance, are there DVD videos that you can purchase, that give you the same education as if you were majoring in music? Are there any colleges that have produced videos of classes on music being taught, etc.? I imagine that would be a lot of DVD's but I feel that the cost is highly worth it. Or very thorough websites, documents, books, etc.?

Anything that is very lecture like that can give me a good foundation in music theory.

Thanks,
    Preston
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

There are plenty of books available - this one on Amazon Uk for example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Steps-...6517433&sr=1-1
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
      I was wanting to ask some questions about how to get started in music theory, other than attending college. It really means a lot to me to have a thorough understanding of music theory.

I was hoping that y'all knew of some places to get started? For instance, are there DVD videos that you can purchase, that give you the same education as if you were majoring in music? Are there any colleges that have produced videos of classes on music being taught, etc.? I imagine that would be a lot of DVD's but I feel that the cost is highly worth it. Or very thorough websites, documents, books, etc.?

Anything that is very lecture like that can give me a good foundation in music theory.

Thanks,
      Preston

Preston,
      The book recommended by Peter is excellent and the one I have, Grade 1-5, It is very clear and easy to understand.I purchased in my local classical music shop , which we are very fortunate to have. They have a wonderful selection of books, classical music and instruments. Another book that was recommended to me was 'The Inner Game of Music', by Barry Green. It explains how to overcome obstacles, improve concentration and reduce nervousness - something I have discovered is how to relax and don't get uptight if you make a mistake. I was actually amazed to find this book in 'Waterstone's'.

As far as finding a music tutor, your local college or classical music store can provide you with info and a list of music tutors, as they did for me.

Last edited by Megan; 03-26-2008, 04:35 PM.
      🎹

Comment

Preston, there's are several marvelous courses taught by Robert Greenberg where you can obtain DVD's and/or CD's and they are all college level courses. He's a professor at the University of California at Berkeley . I have several of his tapes and they are all very educational and entertaining. I've learned a lot from him. Here's the site.

http://www.teach12.com/teach12.asp?ai=16281

Just click on 'Fine Arts and Music' on the left hand side.
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Thank you all for the help! Joy, those videos look great and I was wanting something just like that. They are rather pricey but it seems they have some pretty good sales. Megan I plan on taking piano lessons in the future just not quite yet, it is something that I really want to do, .

Thanks,
          Preston

Comment

Thank you all for the help! Joy, those videos look great and I was wanting something just like that. They are rather pricey but it seems they have some pretty good sales. Megan I plan on taking piano lessons in the future just not quite yet, it is something that I really want to do, .

Thanks,
            Preston
            If you get their catalog there is almost always a great sale. Sometimes 50% off or more! I have the 'How to Listen to and Understand Great Music' and 'The Symphony; and 'The Concerto' and all of the Beethoven series. I have learned a tremendous amount from them. I highly recommend them!
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Preston;

OS-Software has a music course on CD that is available on eBay at a very pocket-friendly price.
              "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Thank you Hofrat, would you mind posting a link? Do you know anything about this software?

Many Thanks,
                Preston

Comment

Preston;

I actually bought the software. For my purposes, it is pretty good. The problem is that you caught me away from my home computer so I can not give you a link. Remind me next week.
                  Last edited by Hofrat; 04-16-2008, 06:37 AM. Reason: correcting a typo.

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
                    Preston;

I actually bought the software. For my purposes, it is pretty good. The problem is that you caught me away from my home computer so I can not give you a link. Remind me next week.
                    What does the software do? If it is recording software () and stuff like that then I don't need it.

Speaking of recording software Linux is great for making and recording music, so y'all know. They really have some excellent programs that are free, money wise and free to change. Also www.garritan.com has some reasonably priced orchestral software, does anyone use this? I have GOS for Gigastudio or Linux Sampler, and a lot of other software and samples. I hook my midi keyboard up and play my $50 Steinway, lol, software piano. Maybe this should be a different thread.

Preston
                    Last edited by Preston; 04-16-2008, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Preston;

It is a course on music theory in PDF format, ear training, and a music notation program.

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
                        Preston;

It is a course on music theory in PDF format, ear training, and a music notation program.
                        Thank you Hofrat. Try to remember to give me the link, or the homepage to the software, or I will remind you, your choice.

Best Regards,
                        Preston
                        Last edited by Preston; 04-17-2008, 04:29 AM.

Comment

Preston;

Try the link below. If that does not help, this will have to wait till I return home.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LEARN-KEYBOARD-P...742.m153.l1262

Good luck.

Comment

Also www.garritan.com has some reasonably priced orchestral software, does anyone use this?
                            Some versions of Finale come with the Garritan SoundFonts, but I was never all that impressed with it. Vienna Symphonic Library is the best, to my ears, but is quite expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                              Some versions of Finale come with the Garritan SoundFonts, but I was never all that impressed with it. Vienna Symphonic Library is the best, to my ears, but is quite expensive.
                              Yes, VSL has some very high quality programs and samples, really quality stuff. I agree, Garritan just doesn't compare. They are expensive though, although they do offer the Special Edition and what not, which is a good deal. GPO always sounds slow and slurred to my ears when compared with VSL's crisp, clear, lush, etc., articulations.

Comment

Working...
                              X