Life of Beethoven by Ignaz Moscheles 1841

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life of Beethoven by Ignaz Moscheles 1841

On eBay I found an auction for a 2-volume set of "Life of Beethoven" by Ignaz Moscheles (1841 published in England). Anyone know anything about this biography?
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Hofrat, sorry to interrupt your post but I can't help but wonder who your avatar picture is of?

Best Regards,
    Preston
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

It is a charcoal drawing of the Swedish composer Joachim Eggert.

Comment

A quick Google search implies that this may be a translation of Schindler's biography by Moscheles--he did one at about this period. But I can't say I have any independent knowledge of it.

Comment

Thank you Gardibolt for the clarification.

Comment

According to the "Beethoven Compendium", Schindler's biography was translated into English by Ignaz Moscheles in 1841, so that would appear to be the book referred to.

Comment

Thanks to one and all for the clarifications. I will not be bidding for the book on eBay.

Comment

OK, since you're not bidding I've placed one myself.

Comment

Good luck, Gardibolt. By the way, Moscheles' great-grandson lives in London. I have had a nice correspondense with him about his great-grandfather.

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
                    Good luck, Gardibolt. By the way, Moscheles' great-grandson lives in London. I have had a nice correspondense with him about his great-grandfather.
                    Hofrat, did Moscheles' great-grandson have some interesting things to say?
                    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

I had received a copy of Joachim Eggert's sextets for editing towards possible publication. Eggert has a nice concise handwriting, but the dedication was scribbled very badly. It seemed to me that he dedicated one of the sextets to Moscheles. I wrote to the great-grandson, who himself is an expert on Moscheles, about this. We came to the conclusion that the name in the dedication was not Moscheles.

Comment

If you are interested in early Beethoven biography, I can recommend Gerhard von Breuning, Memories of Beethoven (original title in German was 'from the house of the black-robed Spaniards), Cambridge University Press 1992 ./ Canto edition 1995.

I found it fascinating.

Comment

I was the winning bidder (at the minimum). Poor Moscheles, they couldn't even spell his first name right....

Comment

Gardibolt, that is outstanding. I am happy to have directed your attention to the item.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                              If you are interested in early Beethoven biography, I can recommend Gerhard von Breuning, Memories of Beethoven (original title in German was 'from the house of the black-robed Spaniards), Cambridge University Press 1992 ./ Canto edition 1995.

I found it fascinating.
                              Philip, I'm reading that right now -- I mean literally right now. (I set it down to reply to you.) I have the Canto edition you mention, the translation by Maynard Solomon. What I'm wondering is whether Solomon's translation is reliable. A few of you on this forum have criticized Solomon's English translations of Beethoven letters, &c., so I'd like to know what you guys think of his work translating the von Breuning book.

Comment

Working...
                              X