Gustav Mahler and Beethoven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gustav Mahler and Beethoven

Today I say a performance of Mahler's 3rd symphony under Claudio Abbado. What strange work. In the first movements to me there is so much triviality - and then a like revealation from heaven the awesome Adagio as the final movement. What a wonderful work! Besides the Adagio from Beethoven's 9th I can't think of any symphonic Adagio that reaches such a spiritual greatness. One impression I got was that this Adagio is the symphonic enlargement of the the slow movement of Beethoven's F Major Quartett op. 135. Do you see the similiarity in the theme and expression?
    I will listen also to the other slow movements from Mahler now, especially from the 5th, 6th, 9th and last mov. from the 10th. They are so great. Too bad that his faster movements do not reach me ...

I will have to check that out. The Bruckner 9th is probably the closest for me among the non-Beethoven symphonies. With respect to his impending death I sense that in the adagio he addresses those feelings in a most poignant way.

Comment

Originally posted by gprengel View Post
      Today I say a performance of Mahler's 3rd symphony under Claudio Abbado. What strange work. In the first movements to me there is so much triviality - and then a like revealation from heaven the awesome Adagio as the final movement. What a wonderful work! Besides the Adagio from Beethoven's 9th I can't think of any symphonic Adagio that reaches such a spiritual greatness. One impression I got was that this Adagio is the symphonic enlargement of the the slow movement of Beethoven's F Major Quartett op. 135. Do you see the similiarity in the theme and expression?
      I will listen also to the other slow movements from Mahler now, especially from the 5th, 6th, 9th and last mov. from the 10th. They are so great. Too bad that his faster movements do not reach me ...
      I agree with you about the Adagio - certainly Beethoven late quartets must have been the inspiration here. I think Mahler subtitled it 'What love tells me', a very moving piece. I don't find much triviality in the opening funeral march!
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
      X