X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Musical Argument

How about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEhF-7suDsM

If this link doesn't work, try putting "Argument to Beethoven's 5th" into Google or Youtube - include the quotation marks.
    Last edited by Michael; 06-06-2007, 10:28 AM.

That is ignorant, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Preston; 06-05-2007, 02:17 PM.
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

I would certainly not describe it as the best interpretation of this work, omitting, as it does, the exposition repeat, but does it not, in some weird fashion, convey the male/female conflict implicit in the first movement of Opus 67? Is it not a visual interpretation of sonata form, cunningly representing the gradual disintegration of the thematic material until the recapitulation is augmented visually by Sid Caesar’s index finger? Nanette’s wonderfully spiritual expression during the little oboe cadenza brought tears to my eyes, and the final resolution in the coda was extremely satisfying.
      I am convinced that Simon Rattle based his conducting technique on this video.
      Last edited by Michael; 06-05-2007, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Sid Caesar and Nanette Fabray

Sid Caesar and Nanette Fabray did an absolutely brilliant piece of comedy using the 5th as background.

In this bit of comedic history, the 5th is serving only as background and not as the front and centre performance.

The action is entirely in the hands of Sid Caesar and Nanette Fabray who are mimicking, ever so brilliantly, a domestic spat synchronized to the 5th.

The result is hilarious and representative of the artistic genius that drove both Sid Caesar and Nanette Fabray.

This video clip is an awesome historical record of some of television's finest moments.

Must it be? It must be!

Comment

All I see is the little arrow going around, denoting the clip loading, taking forever. Those lucky enough to have seen it, how long does it take to load??

However, I am old enough to remember having seen it on TV when I was a child! Great comedy!
          See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz View Post
            All I see is the little arrow going around, denoting the clip loading, taking forever. Those lucky enough to have seen it, how long does it take to load??

However, I am old enough to remember having seen it on TV when I was a child! Great comedy!
            Something has happened to the link. I have edited the first message to include an alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Something has happened to the link. I have edited the first message to include an alternative.
              Yes, that works great. Thanks.

Relic of the days when a comedy audience was familiar enough with real music to sit through a movement. Not likely in today's environment of sound bites and dumbed-down audiences.

As a child I watched Sid Caesar and his colleagues do great comedy on "Your Show of Shows" every week. A nice remembrance from childhood.

Not a bad interpretation, either, no? I wonder who it is. As Caesar's network was NBC, and Toscanini was resident during that era with the NBC Symphony Orchestra, I would think it might be a recording of him with that ensemble. Sounds like him, also.

Imagine a TV organization today having a resident symphony orchestra!! Sooner would penguins go on vacation in St. Thomas.
              Last edited by Chaszz; 06-05-2007, 05:08 PM.
              See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Working...
              X