Elgar's 150th Birthday!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elgar's 150th Birthday!

Happy birthday to Sir Edward Elgar! The local classical music radio station is favoring us all day today and tomorrow with his music. Tonight the violin concerto is being showcased. How does Elgar compare among the Britains with other major British composers such as Vaughn Williams, Britten, and Walton?

Well so much do we value our composers here that Elgar in his 150th celebration year was removed from the £20 note and replaced with the boring economist Adam Smith!

Elgar is seen as a traditionalist figure from the Edwardian era, but he probably ranks in the public mind as the no.1 British composer - that's not saying much as they probably only know 2 pieces - Nimrod and Land of hope and Glory (incidentally words which appalled Elgar). Vaughan-Williams I rate highly but I think Britten was the finer composer. However our finest composers come from another era, William Byrd and especially the greatest of all British composers (in my view) Henry Purcell.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      ........the greatest of all British composers (in my view) Henry Purcell.
      Ah, brings back memories of me in the school choir in 1956 or 57 singing "Nymphs and Shepherds" - the first piece of "classical" music I ever knew well.........
      My favourite Elgar would be the "Introduction and Allegro for Strings."

Comment

Land of Hope and Glory, was part of the very first Classical music Concert I attended along with the rest of the class of 56' and many more schoolchildren at the Free Trade Hall Manchest UK.

The Halle Orchestra also played, "The Dambuster's March", a favourite at the time because of the movie.

I'm afraid we were all into "Rock Around the Clock" by Bill Haley and his Comets at the time. The innocence of youth.
        http://irelandtoo.blogspot.com

Comment

My introduction with Elgar were the Pomp and Circumstance marches, but the work that really caught my ear was The Dream of Gerontius. I've been enjoying the music that's been played on the local radio with respect to the anniversary.

Peter, I have to agree with you about Purcell. He is my favorite Baroque composer, anyway.

Comment

Working...
          X