String Quartets arranged for piano?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

String Quartets arranged for piano?

Has anyone here ever encountered any recordings of the String Quartets played on the piano?

I've seen books with the String Quartets arranged for piano duet, but I can't find one single recording.

Originally posted by Nightklavier:
    Has anyone here ever encountered any recordings of the String Quartets played on the piano?

I've seen books with the String Quartets arranged for piano duet, but I can't find one single recording.
    Sorry....no.

------------------
    Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be
    Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

If you mean 1 piano, 4 hands, of course there is the most famous (yet least known!) one - Beethoven's arrangement of his Grosse Fuge for this format. I have a recording of it.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Without wishing to appear backward, I would suggest Beethoven's own transcription of his piano sonata, Opus 14, No. 1 for string quartet. You could pretend he wrote the quartet version first!

Michael

Comment

Tchaikovsky used to play through the Beethoven and Mozart quartets but I haven't come across recordings or music for solo piano arrangements.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
            Without wishing to appear backward, I would suggest Beethoven's own transcription of his piano sonata, Opus 14, No. 1 for string quartet. You could pretend he wrote the quartet version first!

Michael
            I thought of this myself, because there are some who have suggested on stylistic grounds that perhaps the quartet came first, Beethoven put it aside, and then the piano version after. So Beethoven was being a bit crafty here. I have some sympathy for this idea but there is no hard evidence for it, only conjecture. It is not really an important issue in the scheme of things, so I never dwell on it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 09-22-2006).]

Comment

Thanks for the responses. It's actually surprising that no one has had the guts to record this. I mean here it is, the sheet music: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Strin.../dp/0486239756

Just about every pianist in the world is churning out their own disc with the usual rehashed Beethoven PS No. 8, 21, and 23. Why can't they try something different and perhaps get together to make a "world premiere" recording of these?

By the way, Rod, you wouldn't perhaps be capable and/or in the mood to upload your Grosse Fuge piano arrangement here?

Comment

Thanks for the responses. It's actually surprising that no one has had the guts to record this. I mean here it is, the sheet music: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Strin.../dp/0486239756

Just about every pianist in the world is churning out their own disc with the usual rehashed Beethoven PS No. 8, 21, and 23. Why can't they try something different and perhaps get together to make a "world premiere" recording of these?

By the way, Rod, you wouldn't perhaps be capable and/or in the mood to upload your Grosse Fuge piano arrangement here?
                Hearing a good performance of a Beethoven original is too a rare enough commodity in itself to justify diverting resources to some third party set of lack-lustre arrangements.

By the way NK, I am not in the mood...

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                  Hearing a good performance of a Beethoven original is too a rare enough commodity in itself to justify diverting resources to some third party set of lack-lustre arrangements.
                  Well, that's the thing. How do we know they are "lack-lustre" until we've heard them? As for "diverting resources," I think all labels succumb to that; they waste enough time recycling the same compositions by different pianists/orchestras/ensembles. The idea of recording something different and something never recorded before should be embraced.

Comment

By the way NK, I am not in the mood...

Spoilsport.....

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:

Michael
                      Hey Michael, did you get my email a while back??

Comment

Well, that's the thing. How do we know they are "lack-lustre" until we've heard them? As for "diverting resources," I think all labels succumb to that; they waste enough time recycling the same compositions by different pianists/orchestras/ensembles. The idea of recording something different and something never recorded before should be embraced.
                        Fair enough, if the labels cancel somthing from their Schubert schedule I'd be all for it.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                          Spoilsport.....

It took me years to find a recording of this piece, why should I just give it away like that? Why not look around and buy it yourself? Why don't you treat us to something from your ample Beethoven CD collection?

------------------

Comment

It took me years to find a recording of this piece, why should I just give it away like that? Why not look around and buy it yourself? Why don't you treat us to something from your ample Beethoven CD collection?

Someone has definitely upset Rod tonight. Come on, who will own up??...

Comment

It was actually a fair comment.....Okay, give me till Monday and I'll load the Four-handed piano version of the Fugue, Op.134.

Comment

Working...
                              X