No announcement yet.

Authentic Instrument mp3s - String Quartet Op.135

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am ready with my Furtwangler Ninth, movement one. Apropos in that it was recently the subject of discussion. How shall we structure this, Peter?
    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
      I am ready with my Furtwangler Ninth, movement one. Apropos in that it was recently the subject of discussion. How shall we structure this, Peter?

I wouldn't hope for too much discussion if that's what you are looking for. Excluding my own 'by default' remarks there are only 4 comments posted so far about op135. If I wait another week it may amount to 5 or 6 if I'm lucky. You'd get more joy here uploading something by Mozart or Berlioz.

Talking of Mozart on BBCTV 4 there is, as I type, a discussion of M's apparent arrangement of Handel's Judas Maccabaeus, to be followed by a performance. It is interesting, but wholely typical, that it takes the discovery of a reproduction by Mozart for the BBC to contemplate airing a performance of Handel's most lucrative English work. Why not play the superior original? As the ultimate 'victory oratorio' (you will be aware of Beethoven's arrangement of 'See the conqu'ring hero comes' from this piece) it would be perfect for the World Cup!

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 06-10-2006).]
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:

I wouldn't hope for too much discussion if that's what you are looking for. Excluding my own 'by default' remarks there are only 4 comments posted so far about op135. If I wait another week it may amount to 5 or 6 if I'm lucky. You'd get more joy here uploading something by Mozart or Berlioz...!

I am sure that at the least I can expect a comment from you when I upload a performance from the standard, pre-authentic instruments period. I am not greedy. One or two comments will do.

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

I'm not sure - simply post the topic with link? I don't think there is a need for a special page. I can edit your topic to include a standard heading inviting members to upload their favourite tracks on a regular basis and see what happens!

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

I am sure that at the least I can expect a comment from you when I upload a performance from the standard, pre-authentic instruments period. I am not greedy. One or two comments will do.

Try to keep the files as small as you can. Use no more than 64kbpm resolution, that's good enough.

The web site I use will delete the files if they are not used for 30 days. So for example you can still access the last Bagatelles even though the links are no longer at this site:
            http://www.mysharefile.com/v/4271168/op126iv.wma.html http://www.mysharefile.com/v/3230691/op126vi.wma.html http://www.mysharefile.com/v/1286065/op126iii.wma.html

------------------

Comment

Try to keep the files as small as you can. Use no more than 64kbpm resolution, that's good enough.

The web site I use will delete the files if they are not used for 30 days. So for example you can still access the last Bagatelles even though the links are no longer at this site:
              http://www.mysharefile.com/v/4271168/op126iv.wma.html http://www.mysharefile.com/v/3230691/op126vi.wma.html http://www.mysharefile.com/v/1286065/op126iii.wma.html

I'm busy for the next two days but will try to upload the Furtwangler on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Comment

I'm busy for the next two days but will try to upload the Furtwangler on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Fair enough. Now back to the quartet, I've read before that this was originally conceived as a three movement piece and the fourth added as an afterthought, for whatever reason. The text I 'borrowed' for the mp3 page states the same and that the Lento is the afterthought. I'd like to know what evidence there is for this, especially considering Beethoven never before went below four movements in a string quartet.

------------------

Comment

I cannot believe that Beethoven would ever have contemplated a three movement string quartet. Perhaps by "afterthought", our writer means "later that same afternoon", or whatever....Opus 135 without the Lento seems ludicrous to me.

I've said before that this joyful work anticipates, enjoys and bids farewell. The Master's (thank you and farewell) "Lebewoll" leaving of this earthly world in the same way that both the Op.96 Violin Sonata and Op.97 Piano Trio do. Also, the final few bars of the phenomenal last Piano Sonata, Op.111. A trip to a postureless, more human, acceptably serene state. We are in the presence of something very special here with this super-human, magical music.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                    I cannot believe that Beethoven would ever have contemplated a three movement string quartet. Perhaps by "afterthought", our writer means "later that same afternoon", or whatever....Opus 135 without the Lento seems ludicrous to me.

I've said before that this joyful work anticipates, enjoys and bids farewell. The Master's (thank you and farewell) "Lebewoll" leaving of this earthly world in the same way that both the Op.96 Violin Sonata and Op.97 Piano Trio do. Also, the final few bars of the phenomenal last Piano Sonata, Op.111. A trip to a postureless, more human, acceptably serene state. We are in the presence of something very special here with this super-human, magical music.
                    'Afterthought' is to be taken literally, that is his original conception was just the other three movements. The article (which I edited quite a bit) cited the 'circumcised quartet' anecdote but that on its own does not say his concept was only for three movments. Personally I think the quartet would sound odd without the Lento. I think it is required to add structural and musical contrast, Beethoven would surely have realised this at an early stage, which probably explains its inclusion!

The valedictory tone of the quartet should not be taken too literally. It may have been his last quartet, but he was working on a string quintet when he died.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 06-12-2006).]

Comment

...Why not play the superior original? As the ultimate 'victory oratorio' (you will be aware of Beethoven's arrangement of 'See the conqu'ring hero comes' from this piece) it would be perfect for the World Cup!

Would you believe it, as I type the BBC are using 'See the conqu'ring hero comes' as intro music to their TV broadcast of a World Cup match! Or rather the BBC's arrangement of it

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 06-13-2006).]

Comment

Would you believe it, as I type the BBC are using 'See the conqu'ring hero comes' as intro music to their TV broadcast of a World Cup match! Or rather the BBC's arrangement of it

I've been watching the matches as well. Congrats on the English winning. We Americans lost but then Soccer never was our 'cup of tea'. Too bad! It is catching on more and more over here though. It's a great game!

------------------
                        'Truth and beauty joined'
                        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                          I've been watching the matches as well. Congrats on the English winning. We Americans lost but then Soccer never was our 'cup of tea'. Too bad! It is catching on more and more over here though. It's a great game!

And the arrangement is truly awful too, I could have done better myself. Even Mozart's version must be better than this. Soccer is a great game, unless your a fan of my beloved team, Newcastle United, in which case it's a stress-inducing nightmare.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 06-14-2006).]

Comment

I was hoping that at least this site would be a haven from football, alas!

I imagine Nessun Dorma was never your cup of tea anyway, but now it is totally unbearable, hopefully Handel's theme won't go the same way as Puccini and Faure. I've just about recovered from the 70's adverts and now can listen to the Pastoral without thinking of Tweed perfume or wanting a cup of coffee whenever I hear Grieg's 'morning'.

Back to the quartet - not only would the quartet have been unbalanced without the lento, but we would have been deprived of a supremely beautiful piece.

------------------
                            'Man know thyself'
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                              I was hoping that at least this site would be a haven from football, alas!

I imagine Nessun Dorma was never your cup of tea anyway, but now it is totally unbearable, hopefully Handel's theme won't go the same way as Puccini and Faure. I've just about recovered from the 70's adverts and now can listen to the Pastoral without thinking of Tweed perfume or wanting a cup of coffee whenever I hear Grieg's 'morning'.

Back to the quartet - not only would the quartet have been unbalanced without the lento, but we would have been deprived of a supremely beautiful piece.

I'm surprised the BBC even knew of 'See..' Perhaps the Mozart discovery alerted them to it! But I say again what a mess they have made of it.

About Op135 if one movement was a 'late entry' it surely could have only been the Scherzo, but even then... Anyway have you guys got any other version you can recommend?

PS I have some new music available at may Handel site to those who are interested (see my profile link for the url).

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 06-14-2006).]

Comment

I'm surprised the BBC even knew of 'See..' Perhaps the Mozart discovery alerted them to it! But I say again what a mess they have made of it.

About Op135 if one movement was a 'late entry' it surely could have only been the Scherzo, but even then... Anyway have you guys got any other version you can recommend?

PS I have some new music available at may Handel site to those who are interested (see my profile link for the url).

Not that you'd approve of Rod, but I think the Quartetto Italiano do a fantastic job with these late quartets.

As to an original 3 movement conception, I've not come across this idea before. After all, most of the work on Op.135 was done a few months prior to Beethoven's final confinement and just before the new finale for op.130, so one wonders when there was time for such a rethink?

------------------
                                'Man know thyself'
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X