Rachmanninoff vs. Chopin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rachmanninoff vs. Chopin

I like Chopin alot better than Rachmanninoff. What do you think?

Originally posted by Pianoprodigy:
    Depends for what. Chopin is wonderful,and can be very emotionally intense in a precise, controlled and interior way (rather like Jane Austen), but though masterly in his use of the range of the piano, is not so versatile in being able to write for the orchestra, for other instruments or for vocal, choral and operatic forces. Rachmaninov apart from being a virtuoso piano player and composer - there are are few concerti more testing than his Third - was also a superb composer in a variety of other genre and could vary his style considerably (listen to his Vespers for instance). He is also superbly emotionally engaging if in a rather more obvious let it all hang out, Bronte sort of way. I couldn't do without either. Each reaches me at different levels at different times for different reasons. But if pushed for Desert Island purposes I would probably choose Rachmaninov for the same reason that, if forced to make a Sophie's Choice between Mozart and Beethoven, I would choose LVB as more life-sustaining for me regardless of any technical issues. Isn't it great we don't have to choose!

------------------
    Beethoven the Man!
    Beethoven the Man!

Comment

If we're talking about a desert island situation, I would NEVER ever give up Mozart for LVB. I couldn't bring myself to do that...

As for Chopin and Rachmaninov...I am not familiar enough with either of them

Comment

Chopin. I don't actually care much for Rach.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
          Chopin. I don't actually care much for Rach.
          I regard Chopin as a superior composer to Rachmaninov - for one thing there wouldn't have been a Rachmaninov without a Chopin! Chopin's revolutionary approach to the piano combined with his exquisite poetic sense in my mind produced the greatest piano music of the romantic era.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Regarding the desert island scenery I would rather be stranded with Beethoven any day. I couldn't go too many days in a row without
            listening to Beethoven's music.
            And Chopin over Rach any day! His music is just beautiful to listen to and so melodic and I think he showed that the piano could be much more than a vituoso instrument even in virtuoso music with such musical meaning! I read where the only masters who meant anything to him were Bach and Mozart and in one of my books his title is "Apotheosis of the Piano".

------------------
            'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 10-18-2005).]

Comment

Chopin is not a composer I've been able to get very close to. Rachmaninoff has some stuff I like, mostly orchestral stuff, such as The Rock, Isle of the Dead, The Bells, etc. And his vocal-choral works are very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                Regarding the desert island scenery I would rather be stranded with Beethoven any day. I couldn't go too many days in a row without listening to Beethoven's music.

It can be done, Joy. I managed three days last year and felt absolutely fine.

Michael

Comment

I don't understand all the hype around Rachmanninoff. For me Chopin, especially with certain works performed by Pollini (etudes, scherzi, ballades, polonaises); Argerich(preludes); and Pires(nocturnes) there is no bases for comparison. I, like Joy, would be satisfied with all my Beethoven discs on a desert island getaway. They are never tiresome.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                    I regard Chopin as a superior composer to Rachmaninov - for one thing there wouldn't have been a Rachmaninov without a Chopin! Chopin's revolutionary approach to the piano combined with his exquisite poetic sense in my mind produced the greatest piano music of the romantic era.

Agreed, Peter. And let's not forget his curiously long fingers which any contortionist would have been proud of! Chopin always works best in intimate surroundings; leave the big concert-hall stuff for Liszt. Regarding the "Romantic Era", one should not forget of course that Chopin died only 22 years after Beethoven, their musical paths running nearly parallel!!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
                      It can be done, Joy. I managed three days last year and felt absolutely fine.

Michael

He says that, but I bet he took up smoking or something!

Comment

Originally posted by Pianoprodigy:
                        It has to be Chopin for no other reason than their respective comments about Schubert's piano sonatas. Chopin, when asked why he hadn't written more sonatas, cited Beethoven's legacy and the "heavenly length" of Schubert's similar works. Rachmaninov on the other hand confessed as recently as 1928 to being "unaware that Schubert had written any piano sonatas".

Comment

Regarding the desert island scenery I would rather be stranded with Beethoven any day.

But, Joy, what would your husband say?!

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                            Regarding the desert island scenery I would rather be stranded with Beethoven any day.

"Joy!"

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:

Peter, where have you been hiding?

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X