Cherubini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cherubini

In reading about Beethoven I've found that he liked and admired Cherubini very much. Any recommendations on this composer's works?

Regards,
    Teresa

The "Requiem" that Cherubini wrote was a work that Beethoven had as a master piece.

Comment

For the HIP lover there is his marvelous Requiem in C with Christoph Spering and the opera that inspired B., Les Doux Journées, also with Spering.
      For the sacred music lover there is also the Requiem in D with Markevitch and almost every (or is it indeed every?) mass with Muti (one of Muti's finest) on Decca and also the same Requiem in C with Toscanini (comes with B. Missa Solemnis), with Fasolis (on Naxos, cheap and excellent) and with Best (he brings the Beethovenian man from Cherubini into the open).
      For the opera lover, one cannot go without the above mentioned with Spering and Medée with an astonishing Callas on the title rôle.

I find everything I've heard from him amazing. I really love his Requiem in C and the Marche Funébre with often comes with it (most recordings bring them both, again my vote is for Spering).

Can I hear an Amen? _o/

------------------
      "Wer ein holdes weib errungen..."

[This message has been edited by Rutradelusasa (edited 12-08-2005).]
      "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

His string quartets are very good. They are available on CPO, for one. Worthwhile choice.

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I love the c-minor Requiem (from 1816) to the uttermost. It has such a deep simplicity and spirituality! Moments of most heavenly tenderness and then again outbreaks of awesome power (Dies Irae and "quam olim Abrahae" Fugue!). After Beethoven's Missa solemnis and besides Mozarts Requiem it is my favourite Mass. Unfortuneately
          his second Requiem in d minor is rather boring. His stringquartetts and symphony to me also are not very convincing. But what is very very good is his Anacreon overture!!

Comment

Working...
          X