Student Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Student Project

I am a freshman in college and plan on doing a powerpoint presentation on the life of Beethoven. Can anyone recommend one or two of his works that would be good for background music. It will last around 8-10 minutes.

Thanks

The first movement of the Moonlight Sonata is soft, gentle music. If you want to mix in some excitement, the fourth movement of Symphony #7 is fast and exhilerating.

If you want to mix it up: if I were doing a presentation about Beethoven, I would start AND end with the first 7 notes of Symphony 9, second movement.

------------------
    Fate banging on the door with a jackhammer
    To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
    susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.

Comment

For "background" music, I would recommend these:

-Piano Sonata No. 8 "Grave" first movement

-Symphony No. 3 "Allegro con brio" first movement

-Piano Concerto No. 1 "Largo" first movement

-Romance No. 2 in F (Op. 50)

I don't know if you're familiar with those, but I think it depends on what mood or feeling you want. As you give the presentation, are you mostly talking about the biographical events or fiery passions of Beethoven? Or are you calmly talking about stastistical information, or the details of his music?

I do agree with sjwenger on his choices too; moonlight is always excellent and is something the class would recognize for sure. But you just have to listen to different pieces and make up your own mind. If you're confident about giving this presentation and you want the class to be excited and serious, then the "Eroica" symphony ('Allegro con brio' movement) is just that. If you want this to be a calm overview of Beethoven, "moonlight sonata" or the Piano Concerto No. 1 'Largo' movement is perfect.

Following sjwenger's example, if *I* were doing a presentation on Beethoven, I would start with the first movement of the "Fifth" symphony. You would only be feeding the cliche that as soon as anyone hears that "duh-duh-duh-duhhhh" they think of Beethoven, but it will at least get the audience's attention. As the presentation goes on, though, I would try and play pieces according to the mood of the slide.

If you're talking biographical info, use an early work of a piano concerto or something. If you veer into discussing his piano compositions and how lets say for example, the "Pathetique" sonata really jumpstarted the "Romantic" period of music, then play it so the audience can hear.

Well, that's just my take on it. I actually wish I was doing a powerpoint presentation on Beethoven. The only presentations I do in college are for some dumb psychological disorder, biological genes, or Alexander the Great. If I could, I would give a 45(!) minute presentation on Beethoven and brainwash the students: "Eminem = weak. Britney Spears = untalented. Beethoven = God of Music. Abandon rap for the "Tempest" sonata. Go forth and spread the word"

Comment

Working...
      X