It seems there is hope after all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems there is hope after all

I teach 8th Grade Religious Education at my parish, and we just started up classes again after the summer break. The first lesson is about signs and symbols in the Catholic Church. Art and music are a large part of this lesson. So I like to take the opportunity to expose the kids to some kinds of sacred music that they have probably never heard before.

So we compared three different kinds of music. First was the music we have in our parish right now. If you are a Catholic who lives in the USA, you probably know what this is like. I'm not going to say it's bad, exactly, but so much of it it just not very...appropriate to the liturgy. It does not serve the function that sacred music is supposed to serve, in my opinion.

So I played them some Gregorian Chant. And lastly I played them the Kyrie from Beethoven's Mass in C. When they had heard it all, I took a poll to see which was the favorite. Having grown up with the kind of music we have in our parish now, and apparently being conditioned to find all music without electric guitars lame, I was expecting them not to like the new music I played for them at all.

But there was only one who prefered the music in our parish. About 1/3 liked the Gregorian Chant best, and the other 2/3 liked the Beethoven best. Some of them seemed quite captivated by it while it was playing. I even had a request to hear some sacred music by Mozart.

It was so nice to get this kind of reaction from 13-year-olds.

Nice indeed, Chris. Does your church play mostly contemporary music? Our church just announced yesterday that it will begin playing the more contemporary music after more wonderful traditional songs much to our dismay. Luckily some of the other Masses will still be held in the traditional fashion. Good luck to you with your teachings.

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Yes, a lot of contemporary music. We do have a great Music Minister, and since he was hired 5 or 6 years ago, he has really improved the choir. He has also introduced a greater variety of the kinds of music. Before him, it was almost all contemporary. There was the occational traditional hymn or something, but even they were played in a contemporary way.

So it's definately improving, and he does a wonderful job, but I still question the appropriateness of some of the music. It is also unfortunate that we do no Gregorian Chant at all. It is very practical and beautiful, and it is supposed to be officially prefered to other kinds of music for the liturgy.

Some of this contemporary music causes problems because the range of notes the people are expected to be able to sing is ridiculous, and that limits participation.

No, I can't complain too much. I was on vacation two weeks ago, and the music in the Mass I attended there...well, I have never felt so uncomfortable in church in my life. It was like a hoedown or something. So I am grateful for what we have at home!

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 09-19-2005).]

Comment

Well, appease the request for Mozart by playing his Mass in C minor for them; at least the Kyrie part.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:

It is also unfortunate that we do no Gregorian Chant at all. It is very practical and beautiful, and it is supposed to be officially prefered to other kinds of music for the liturgy.

No, I can't complain too much. I was on vacation two weeks ago, and the music in the Mass I attended there...well, I have never felt so uncomfortable in church in my life. It was like a hoedown or something. So I am grateful for what we have at home!

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 09-19-2005).]
          They don't perform the chants in our church either, however, for 'special' occassions like day long adorations at holiday time they do which is very nice. Also at one church in town they do the old fashioned complete Latin Mass on Sunday afternoons where the choir does all chants and traditional music, very difficult to sing but it's such a success that the Bishop is going to add more Latin Masses to the churches here. In response to your vacation comment, I think it's very interesting to visit other Catholic churches on vacation some do things quite differently and others seem to do things the same. It is good to get back to the place you're most comfortable.

------------------

Comment

Interesting. Is this "Latin Mass" a Tridentine Mass or is it the Novus Ordo said in Latin?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
              Interesting. Is this "Latin Mass" a Tridentine Mass or is it the Novus Ordo said in Latin?
              It's the Tridentine Mass.

------------------

Comment

Working...
              X