Playing the "Moonlight"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing the "Moonlight"

In the first movement, I find it very difficult to play pianissimmo. (I have a Yamaha and it tends to be a bit bright.) Does anyone depress the left(soft) pedal for this movement? I know Beethoven didn't instruct to use the left pedal.

Yes, the first movement of this piece is a lot more challenging that it sounds. Playing softly enough and keeping those triplets even requires a steady hand and good concentration.

I don't use the una corda pedal. I just do my best to make sure that my fortes are loud and my pianos are soft. Remember, dynamics are reletive. Beethoven's indication of pp tells you he wants this noticibly and obviously soft, but you shouldn't be trying to make it just barely audible. Also, don't forget that pianos were different in Beethoven's day, so we have to make some adjustments.

That's my take on it, anyway. Perhaps Peter, the real expert around here, can give you something more useful!

Comment

Originally posted by Beethoven1:
      In the first movement, I find it very difficult to play pianissimmo. (I have a Yamaha and it tends to be a bit bright.) Does anyone depress the left(soft) pedal for this movement? I know Beethoven didn't instruct to use the left pedal.
      If I am not mistaken it is easier to control the dynamics if your playing with your weight in your arms as opposed to just using your arms or hands (I'm not sure quite how to word this). When I sit at a keyboard that is high to me I have much less control than if I can sit above the keyboard.

Comment

Thanks for your responses!

Comment

Get a $50,000 Steinway, and your problem'll be away!

Comment

Working...
          X