9th symphony recordings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9th symphony recordings

Can anyone give me some advice on a great recording of the 9th symphony. I already have a few( more than a few) but would like to know what you think is good or great. I am taking my sister to a concert of the 9th (she had never heard it preformed live) and would like to give her a CD of the symphony as a gift for going with me. So I guess a recent and accessible recording would be nice. Thanks.

Originally posted by heidi:
    Can anyone give me some advice on a great recording of the 9th symphony. I already have a few( more than a few) but would like to know what you think is good or great. I am taking my sister to a concert of the 9th (she had never heard it preformed live) and would like to give her a CD of the symphony as a gift for going with me. So I guess a recent and accessible recording would be nice. Thanks.

My personal favorite is the Toscanini.

Comment

Heidi,
      I have 12 recordings that I rotate around so I don't get burned out on just 1, and for ones that would satisfy your requirements for recent and available, and also MY requirements for quality and accuracy of performance, I recommend;

Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique / John Eliot Gardiner

Chamber Orchestra of Europe / Nikolas Harnoncourt

Or for a "classic" (post-Romantic) type performance with excellent sound and singing, Vienna Philharmonic / Leonard Bernstein. This one is on Deutsche Grammophon, and I only bought it a couple years ago, so I think it is still available.

Another of that type that I KNOW is still available is Berlin Philharmonic/ Karajan 1962 (3?). This is a all time great.

Enjoy, and enjoy the performance too!

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
        Heidi,
        I have 12 recordings that I rotate around so I don't get burned out on just 1, and for ones that would satisfy your requirements for recent and available, and also MY requirements for quality and accuracy of performance, I recommend;

Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique / John Eliot Gardiner

Chamber Orchestra of Europe / Nikolas Harnoncourt

Or for a "classic" (post-Romantic) type performance with excellent sound and singing, Vienna Philharmonic / Leonard Bernstein. This one is on Deutsche Grammophon, and I only bought it a couple years ago, so I think it is still available.

Another of that type that I KNOW is still available is Berlin Philharmonic/ Karajan 1962 (3?). This is a all time great.

Enjoy, and enjoy the performance too!

Is the Bernstein the same as the one he conducted at the fall of the Berlin Wall? If so, it is available on DVD as well; I have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

Is the Bernstein the same as the one he conducted at the fall of the Berlin Wall? If so, it is available on DVD as well; I have it.
          Sorrano,
          No, that one was from 1989 or so, and also one of the last pieces he conducted before his death. This one is earlier, from 1982 I think, and is not "Live" but from Vienna in any case. I have heard that other, it is very nice for a live performance.

------------------
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment