Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Books on Beethoven's Life? - Recommendations Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter:
    Yes sorry I couldn't think of the title! Thanks for that - I've heard it is more interesting than Cooper, so I may go for it.

Peter, this is the next book I'm getting from the library. I found a summary of what it includes, "Youth, Maturity, Old Age: Three Letters -- 1787: The Death of Beethoven's Mother -- 1812: Letter to a Child -- 1826: The Old Child -- Life and Works -- The Early Years 1770-1792 -- Beginnings -- Bonn as a Musical Center -- Bach from the Hands of Neefe -- Kant, Schiller, and the Enlightenment -- Max Franz and the Mozart Legacy -- Family, Friends, and Patrons -- To Vienna in Search of Mozart -- The Last Years in Bonn -- Waldstein's Prophecy -- Music of the Bonn Years -- Early Keyboard Music -- "This passage has been stolen from Mozart" -- Composing and Sketching -- Cantatas for Two Emperors -- The First Maturity 1792-1802 -- The First Years in Vienna -- The Political Atmosphere -- Vienna as a Musical Center -- Confronting the Viennese Aristocracy -- Haydn -- Playing for an Elector and a King -- Entering the Publishing World -- Music of the First Vienna Years -- Revising Earlier Works -- Chamber Music and Piano Sonatas -- Years of Crisis -- Deafness -- The Heiligenstadt Testament." It goes on explaining much of his music. Here's a summary of the book, "In this brilliant portrayal of the world's most famous composer, eminent Beethoven scholar Lockwood interweaves his subject's musical and biographical dimensions and places them in their historical and artistic contexts. 50 illustrations. 8 music examples."
    Perhaps you could look into the library copy, if you're looking to save some bucks! Hope this helps!

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
      Peter, this is the next book I'm getting from the library. I found a summary of what it includes, "Youth, Maturity, Old Age: Three Letters -- 1787: The Death of Beethoven's Mother -- 1812: Letter to a Child -- 1826: The Old Child -- Life and Works -- The Early Years 1770-1792 -- Beginnings -- Bonn as a Musical Center -- Bach from the Hands of Neefe -- Kant, Schiller, and the Enlightenment -- Max Franz and the Mozart Legacy -- Family,
      Friends, and Patrons -- To Vienna in Search of Mozart -- The Last Years in Bonn -- Waldstein's Prophecy -- Music of the Bonn Years -- Early Keyboard Music -- "This passage has been stolen from Mozart" -- Composing and Sketching -- Cantatas for Two Emperors -- The First Maturity 1792-1802 -- The First Years in Vienna -- The Political Atmosphere -- Vienna as a Musical Center -- Confronting the Viennese Aristocracy -- Haydn -- Playing for an Elector and a King -- Entering the Publishing World -- Music of the First Vienna Years -- Revising Earlier Works -- Chamber Music and Piano Sonatas -- Years of Crisis -- Deafness -- The Heiligenstadt Testament." It goes on explaining much of his music. Here's a summary of the book, "In this brilliant portrayal of the world's most famous composer, eminent Beethoven scholar Lockwood interweaves his subject's musical and biographical dimensions and places them in their historical and artistic contexts. 50 illustrations. 8 music examples."
      Perhaps you could look into the library copy, if you're looking to save some bucks! Hope this helps!

Thankyou Joy,
      Well if this doesn't convince Peter, I don't know what will. I am waiting for Peter to write a Book about Beethoven, and we shall be the first to get our signed copies!.
      I have a feeling that he might just do that one day.

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited January 30, 2004).]
      ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

Thankyou Joy,
        Well if this doesn't convince Peter, I don't know what will. I am waiting for Peter to write a Book about Beethoven, and we shall be the first to get our signed copies!.
        I have a feeling that he might just do that one day.

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited January 30, 2004).]
        Tempting Amalie and with the wealth of information and ideas posted on this forum over the years, I might just be able to put a different perspective on things - in the meantime I'll try to get hold of this Lockwood book.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Well, I haven't read the replies to this topic, but I'm currently enjoying "Beethoven the music and the life" by Lewis Lockwood. I've only begun it. It's very interesting and entertaining, but that's coming from a guy who only likes PBS (Educational programs for those who arent yanks). It's not dry though, a good read. I've also read "Beethven's Hair" which is great.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob:
            Well, I haven't read the replies to this topic, but I'm currently enjoying "Beethoven the music and the life" by Lewis Lockwood. I've only begun it. It's very interesting and entertaining, but that's coming from a guy who only likes PBS (Educational programs for those who arent yanks). It's not dry though, a good read. I've also read "Beethven's Hair" which is great.
            I mostly watch PBS also. Anyway, I'm starting to read Lockwood's book now. So far it has my interest. Also I've read Beethoven's Hair, another very informative book. Ira Brillant who is included in the book for buying a lock of Beethoven's hair and who is also founder of the Beethoven Museum in San Jose, Califronia, lives here in Phoenix and I have an autographed copy that he gave me. A very learned man.

------------------

Comment

I find Lockwood to be in many ways most informitave and readable, along with insightful commentary of the music. He does the best job of setting Beethoven into the social, cultural, and especially the musical context of the period. I think we find more of Beehoven in his music.
              As you probably know, Lockwood is also a distinguished cellist who plays Beethoven's chamber music for pleasure.
              I always get so much more out of a book when I read it for a second time.

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited January 29, 2004).][/B]
              Hi Amalie, you might be interested in this. I found this website while reading Lockwood's book over the weekend. It lists musical examples in score.
              http://www.wwnorton.com/trade/lockwood/

Regards, Joy

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
                I am delighted to hear that this book is still available. I bought a 1931 edition of it about 25 years ago and it still remains my favourite book about Beethoven.
                It is actually called "Beethoven" by J.W.N. Sullivan and is divided into two sections: "The Nature of Music" and "Beethoven's Spiritual Development". I would urge anyone to read it, if possible.
                I don't agree with everything in it, of course. Sullivan's description of the third movement of the Hammerlavier as so full of woe that "it seems as inimical to human existance as the icy heart of some remote mountain lake" is a rather off-putting description of what is, perhaps, the greatest slow movement B ever wrote.

Michael
                I also bought this book back in 1963 and was mesmerized by the writing of Sullivan. I still have it, although being a paperback edition it is a little battered from frequent use over the years. Very good description Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                  Hi Amalie, you might be interested in this. I found this website while reading Lockwood's book over the weekend. It lists musical examples in score.
                  http://www.wwnorton.com/trade/lockwood/

Regards, Joy

Thanks for that fascinating link Joy! I have only just caught up with it. Sorry.

Comment

For loads of books on Beethoven and other composers try this link which is now on the links page
                    http://musicshot.com/books/classical/beethoven.htm

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter:
                      [B]For loads of books on Beethoven and other composers try this link which is now on the links page
                      http://musicshot.com/books/classical/beethoven.htm

Thankyou for the link Peter!

What a LOVELY feast of BEETHOVEN books!

I am very fortunate if I am after out of print books as the book search company I use always come up trumps.

------------------
                      ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

Comment

Thanks for that fascinating link Joy! I have only just caught up with it. Sorry.
                        That's OK Amalie, I have some 'catching up' to do myself lately! Glad you enjoyed the link!!

------------------

Comment

Working...
                        X