ever noticed the similarity...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ever noticed the similarity...

I was just listening to the Beethoven overture, "Consecration of the House",
    and I noticed there is a part which is VERY similar to the 4th movement of Haydn's symphony number 95.
    I haven't compared them back to back, but it sounds to me like they are even in the same key.
    Has anyone else noticed this?

Originally posted by cosplusisin:
    I was just listening to the Beethoven overture, "Consecration of the House",
    and I noticed there is a part which is VERY similar to the 4th movement of Haydn's symphony number 95.
    I haven't compared them back to back, but it sounds to me like they are even in the same key.
    Has anyone else noticed this?
    I don't know about this Haydn music, but the overture is a conscious tribute to Handel, the principle dance-like theme that Beethoven gives the fugal treatment (after the intro 'group') is one Handel used himself on various occasions, virtually note for note.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

well I am pretty sure that is the part I am talking about. It starts after about 5 minutes. Yes, it is the fugal part.
      In the Haydn thing, the part I am thinking of is also done in the same way with the fugue.
      You should give it a listen. Maybe Haydn was also paying tribute to Handel, and by transitivity, the Beethoven things sounds like Haydn.

Comment

Working...
      X