Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
    King,
    Well, I am really looking forward to receiving the CD, hopefully by Monday next.

Gurn, let us know what you think!

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
      I would love his cd! Sounds like a good one!

Joy, the Muller-Bruhl I believe is out of print for I don't see it listed in any of my cd catalogs. The Harnoncourt is still available and there is a very nice performance on Naxos with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra. The total time of the ballet runs between 65:00 and 69:00 depending on the performance.

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
        Joy, the Muller-Bruhl I believe is out of print for I don't see it listed in any of my cd catalogs. The Harnoncourt is still available and there is a very nice performance on Naxos with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra. The total time of the ballet runs between 65:00 and 69:00 depending on the performance.
        Thanks King!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston View Post
          We rarely, if ever, talk about this ballet suite beyond the obvious overture and also the theme that was incorporated into the Eroica Variations and other things. I have at present a few pieces, including a gorgeous Adagio that ranks with B's finest, but I have just ordered, and not yet received, the complete ballet music.

Does anyone have any ideas in particular about what to listen for especially in this work?

Prometheus contains two passages which we don't find anywhere else in Beethoven's output. The first is a glimpse of how a slow movement of a Beethovenian cello concerto might have sounded.
          The other one is the passage in which Beethoven for the first and only time uses the harp as orchestral instrument, in a combination with flute which together looks strangely forward to Bizet.

Btw, the Müller-Brühl recording of Prometheus was the very first complete recording of the work, on 3 sides of a Schwann 2LP set. The fourth side was filled with the Ritterballet WoO 1.
          Therefore this set was the first to contain all beethovenian ballet music together.

Comment

Prometheus is also the only time that Beethoven scored a basset horn.
            "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

To my understanding, Prometheus is also Beethoven's most profound writing for the harp, which apparently he used very rarely. His use of the harp seems to my ears to be simple yet beautiful.

Anyone have more information on his scoring of the harp for Prometheus?

Also, I have never read anything about Beethoven making comments about the harp, though, am wondering if he ever commented on the instrument? It seems it must not have been his instrument of choice by any means, so to say.
              - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Philip
                The 'movement' you refer to is indeed a joy to 'cellists desperate for something other than the piano/cello sonatas. That said, the opening passage of the slow movement to the Triple Concerto offers a similar glimpse, though in general I am less than enthusiastic about this work. For me, part of the problem with the 'Triple' is that Beethoven simply gives "piano left-hand" passages to the 'cello. Bruckner is also a supreme (infamous) example. What is surprising is that Beethoven was a string player and his writing for 'cello is normally very idiomatic (much less so in certain passages in the Triple). As to Bruckner, well sometimes it's just a chore. Bloody organist!
                I wonder if Beethoven was in a hurry to complete the Triple Concerto. He may have had other works in mind that were more critical to him. Your comment on Bruckner gave me reason to smile. While I do play organ I understand too well your commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post

Also, I have never read anything about Beethoven making comments about the harp, though, am wondering if he ever commented on the instrument? It seems it must not have been his instrument of choice by any means, so to say.
                  I am aware of only two other works in which Beethoven employs the harp: an early set of variations on a Swiss song (which can also be played on the piano) and a beautiful song for soprano and harp - one of four pieces which he wrote for "Leonora Prohaska".

Comment

Michael, thank you for the reply, I was beginning to think that I wasn't going to get one. I guess it has not been that long though. I remember you telling me that Beethoven used a harp in Leonora Prohaska- so, I still want to get a cd of it.

Anyone know if Beethoven ever expressed any thoughts on the harp or not?
                    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

I didn't realize that the Swiss song variations was scored first for the harp. Next time I play that I will remember that.

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      I am aware of only two other works in which Beethoven employs the harp: an early set of variations on a Swiss song (which can also be played on the piano) and a beautiful song for soprano and harp - one of four pieces which he wrote for "Leonora Prohaska".

Comment

Originally posted by Philip
                        Oops, sorry about the organist comment. I meant to say that they are the finest breed that ever walked the earth ... after 'cellists, other string players, oboists, flautists, clarinetists, bassoonists, brass players, banjo players, harpists, guitarists ...
                        No, but seriously, Bruckner was a bit of a naughty boy when it came to scoring certain passages for the 'cellos in his symphonies and masses. I think a suitable revenge would be to write a 'cello part to be played by his feet up there in his organ loft!
                        You omitted the harmonica and accordion players. But if it's any consolation to you, Bruckner undoubtedly played many similar passages (as the cello parts in his symphonies) with his feet. And these passage were probably more interesting to his feet than to the cellists.

Comment

Working...
                        X