On This Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On This Day!

In 1805 Beethoven's 3rd Symphony, The Eroica, has it's first performance in Vienna. Here's a quote to ponder:
    "I'd give another kreutzer if they would stop!" That was the reported response of one weary listener at the 1805 premiere of Beethoven's Third Symphony. It was not, apparently, a comment upon the work's quality, but rather upon its length and perhaps its power, which took many people by surprise, for this composition was highly unusual in both conception and execution. Three years earlier, the composer had declared, "I am not contented with my works so far. Henceforth I shall take a new path," and here, for the first time, he kept his promise. He broke from the mold of Mozart and Haydn to produce a grand symphony, a daring and dramatic work, stunning in its epic scope and emotional impact. Audiences which had become accustomed to the image of music being purely for entertainment suddenly faced a radical new idea, that like a literary masterpiece, a symphony could present its creator's image of the world."

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

The first known private rehearsal/performance was on June 9th 1804 at the Lobkowitz palace. There were several others prior to the first public performance.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      The first known private rehearsal/performance was on June 9th 1804 at the Lobkowitz palace. There were several others prior to the first public performance.

On this day (8th), 1966, Rod came into the world!

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:

So you see, it is nature's way, everything balances out!!
        Happy Birthday, Rod, many more.

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
          So you see, it is nature's way, everything balances out!!

The alpha and the omega!

------------------

Comment

Yea,'66 was a good year.Happy Birthday Rod.
            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
              Yea,'66 was a good year.Happy Birthday Rod.
              That was the last (and only) time England won the World Cup!

PS: where are all my lovely presents??

------------------

Comment

Happy Birthday, Rod!! Hope you have a great birthday!

------------------

Comment

~ Many Happy Returns Rod ~

I believe that Beethoven's brother Casper Anton Carl was Baptized on Apirl 8th. 1774

Also on April 8th, 1820. The Court of Appeal rules in Beethoven's favour concerning his nephew Karl's gaurdianship;
                  Beethoven and Karl Peters are appointed co-gaurdians. Johanna subsequently appeals unsuccessfully to the Emperor.
                  Poor Johanna!
                  ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Rod
                    I got the same 'year of construction'. Many happy returns of the day!!! All the best!

Comment

lol, fantastic! Happy Birthday Rod! (Maybe this day should be made an international Holiday?!)

Shane

Comment

Rod, were you by any chance born a little premature? In that your mother may have felt a tug to get you out in time to celebrate the anniversay of the premiere of the Eroica, or Beethoven's winning of his court case against his sister-in-law? Or maybe combination of both dates produced an irresistable magnetic pull?

And maybe I gave you a small birthday gift yesterday (or day before?) by complimenting Handel's organ concertos so much, probably a surprise coming from me.
                        See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Sorry I'm a bit late with this but I hope you had a great birthday, Rod. Sending you many belated birthday vibes from Vienna.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                            Rod, were you by any chance born a little premature? In that your mother may have felt a tug to get you out in time to celebrate the anniversay of the premiere of the Eroica, or Beethoven's winning of his court case against his sister-in-law? Or maybe combination of both dates produced an irresistable magnetic pull?

And maybe I gave you a small birthday gift yesterday (or day before?) by complimenting Handel's organ concertos so much, probably a surprise coming from me.
                            On the contrary I was a reluctant birth, I need to be literally pulled out into the world - I think I was in the womb already aware of things to come!

I was not surprised you complimented the concertos, you would have looked foolish is you had said the opposite.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
                              Sorry I'm a bit late with this but I hope you had a great birthday, Rod. Sending you many belated birthday vibes from Vienna.
                              Thanks, and thanks everybody else, I had a good time. I've just got back from Paris, my second home these days.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited April 12, 2004).]

Comment

Working...
                              X