Hummel and the 7th symphony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hummel and the 7th symphony

Hummel arranged Beethoven's 7th for flute, violin, cello and piano, anyone heard this?

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Peter,
    No, but it is fair to say that I would like to hear it. Where did you run across that little nugget of information?

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      Hummel arranged Beethoven's 7th for flute, violin, cello and piano, anyone heard this?

Peter, I not only heard it, I have a copy of the work. It was sent to me last year from a friend in France. And yes, it is a very intesting arrangment. Hummel seems to know the in and outs of Beethoven and it shows in the allegretto. One of the better arrangments of a Beethoven work by another composer. Hummel also arranged Mozart's Symphonies No.38 and no.41 for fortepiano, flute, violin and cello. It is another wonderful arrangment of another composers work by Hummel. Personally, I think Hummel is one of many neglected composers.I also have an arrangement of the 7th for winds, brass and timpani, unfortunately I do not know who arranged it.

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited March 16, 2004).]

Comment

King,
        If this is a commercial CD, would you be so kind as to post the necessary info so I may attempt to purchase it? I already know Arkiv doesn't have it, but perhaps one of the overseas places will. Sounds intriguing.
        Thanks,

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
          Peter,
          No, but it is fair to say that I would like to hear it. Where did you run across that little nugget of information?

Can't recall but King Stephen has been very helpful!

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Peter
            I unfortumately don't know it. But I'm in principle a fan of such transcriptions. What is your meaning about it, so I know you are sceptically about any changes to the original score?

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
              Peter
              I unfortumately don't know it. But I'm in principle a fan of such transcriptions. What is your meaning about it, so I know you are sceptically about any changes to the original score?
              I don't know it which is why I asked the question!

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

I don't know it which is why I asked the question!

Let me say this otherwise. I was wondering, why you are making this post, cause I thought you don't like in principle such transcriptions, or any changes to the original works. Also this mentioned piece goes away of B's original. Am I wrong?

Comment

Can't recall but King Stephen has been very helpful!

All of a sudden Hummel is comming out of oblivion. The Hummel arrangement of the LvB 7th Symphony for flute, vioin, cello and piano is being performed at a concert at Wake Forest University in North Carolina on March 28th it is a free concert and it is being called "The Unheard Beethoven". This piece of music may make it to the top of the charts yet......Other works on the program are Beethoven's Scottish, Welsh and Irish folk songs arranged for voice, violin, cello and piano. Finally the concert will also have on it's program "Horn Sonata," an early work by Beethoven.(Anyone ever heard this piece?)
                  Here is the web site. WWW.wfu.edu/wfunews/2004/031504b.html
                  Steve

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited March 20, 2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                    Let me say this otherwise. I was wondering, why you are making this post, cause I thought you don't like in principle such transcriptions, or any changes to the original works. Also this mentioned piece goes away of B's original. Am I wrong?

At that time arrangements were common because they were essential if music was to reach a wide audience - Beethoven himself made arrangements. I have no problem with these arrangements particularly if they were made by a composer of such skill as Hummel - I don't know this arrangement which is why I asked the question to hear other people's views of it!

The Liszt transcriptions of Beethoven's symphonies for piano are an example of how brilliantly and tastefully it should be done - however there is no real need with cds, radio etc in today's world for arrangements, especially if they do not respect the style and integrity of the composer.

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

At that time arrangements were common because they were essential if music was to reach a wide audience - Beethoven himself made arrangements. I have no problem with these arrangements particularly if they were made by a composer of such skill as Hummel - I don't know this arrangement which is why I asked the question to hear other people's views of it!

The Liszt transcriptions of Beethoven's symphonies for piano are an example of how brilliantly and tastefully it should be done - however there is no real need with cds, radio etc in today's world for arrangements, especially if they do not respect the style and integrity of the composer.

Thanks for explaining. This is also my view of it.

Comment

Working...
                      X