Problems with fifth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Quote
    I am reminded of that wonderful quote of Orwell's , I think it was, when talking about T.S. Eliot's poetry that it achieved the extremely difficult feat of making modern life seem even worse that it really was!

Here is another Orwell quote"If you want a picture of the future,imagine a boot stamping on the human face-forever....and remember that it is forever."
    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by Steppenwolf:

As for the fourth and last, although the triumphant theme is uplifting and grand, I feel the piece is spoiled by the rather over-done ending ... Beethoven reaches a climax but seems unable and unwilling to let it go, he hangs onto it for too long and it becomes a bit of a charicature.
      I disagree. I could listen to the 4th mm over and over again. Beethoven is taking you from the dark into the light with this entire piece and it is triumphant music, sublime, powerful and overcoming all sorts of adversities. Also when the 3rd mm goes into the 4th it is a monumental moment in musical history.

------------------
      'Truth and beauty joined'
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Steppenwolf:
        Whenever I listen to the fifth, I skip the first movement and go straight to the second. I am sick of the first movement - although as a piece of music it is wonderful it is spoiled by having become a cliche. It features excessively in the media, and, as noted on a previous thread, the theme of it has even been incorporated into a rap song.

For me, the third movement is my favourite. I think it is a perfect, texbook example of 'Sturm und Drang'.

As for the fourth and last, although the triumphant theme is uplifting and grand, I feel the piece is spoiled by the rather over-done ending ... Beethoven reaches a climax but seems unable and unwilling to let it go, he hangs onto it for too long and it becomes a bit of a charicature.

That climax balances the tremendous energetic and troubled first movement especially with that elaborate and prolonged tonic at the end. With the other three movements in mind it is the most dramatic conclusion to any of Beethoven's works.

Comment

Working...
        X