Beethoven or Bust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven or Bust

A BIZARRE appeal was launched today by musicmakers in Norwich — they want people to lend them busts of Beethoven.

It is reputed that more busts exist of Beethoven than of any other person and Norfolk and Norwich Chamber Music group is keen to get its hands on as many of them as possible.

Roger Rowe, Hon Secretary of the chamber music group, explained: "In March this year the world famous Borodin String Quartet from Moscow will be playing the complete cycle of Beethoven Quartets at the John Innes Centre in Norwich.

"This will be a major occasion for both Norwich and the Quartet itself.

"It will be the first occasion in its long history that it will achieve the long held ambition of its veteran cellist Valentin Berlinsky, to perform all Beethoven's quartets within a week.

"To mark the occasion, a special exhibition will be held devoted to portraits and images of the great composer.

"We are therefore looking for anyone in Norwich or Norfolk who might be prepared to loan a Beethoven bust for the one week duration. We are looking for particularly large exhibits.

"We are going to have an exhibition in the foyer of the John Innes Centre but we really want a bust to put on a pedestal during the performances."

The Borodin String Quartet will perform the cycle from Saturday, March 20 until Sunday, March 28.

Norwich is one of only four venues which will hear the complete cycle of Beethoven works, along with Amsterdam, Vienna and London.

Anyone who can help with Beethoven busts should contact Mr Rowe on (01603) 621169 or e-mail rrowe@paston.co.uk

Tickets to the concerts are available by telephoning Prelude Records in St Giles Street on (01603) 620170.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

They're not having mine!

On the subject of concerts, the OAE is playing the complete fp concertos with the at the Queen Elizabeth Hall in London at the moment. With the fortepianist Robert Levin they performed 1 and 3 last Wednesday (using an original 1802 Viennese model by Rosenberger) and it got a very good review in the London Evening Standard. Pity I can't make any of these events.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited January 23, 2004).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

They wouldn't get mine either. They would have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers first.

Comment

The same here!
        My beautiful bust of Beethoven is staying put, right here in my living room, I wouldn't even entrust it to the Duke of Edinburgh!!

He that goes a-borrowing, goes a-sorrowing.

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited January 25, 2004).]
        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

I'm afraid they can't have my marble bust of Beethoven either although I have several others. When I attended the Beethoven Festival among the many personal memorabilia items that you could view such as his manuscripts, pictures, scores, engravings, autographed letters, and a lock of his hair, they had on display a huge bronze bust carved by Peter Rubino, an international artist, he was also presenting a sculpture demonstration at the Festival.

------------------
          'Truth and beauty joined'
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

am I the only one without a Beethoven bust????

------------------
            v russo
            v russo

Comment

I don't have a Beethoven bust either, YET!....although Mr Onslow, my piano teacher and sometime Assistant Organist at Rochester cathedral, did have a pretty huge one looking at me!

Comment

Originally posted by v russo:
                am I the only one without a Beethoven bust????

Don't worry, you are not...
                one time, I will make my own one!

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited January 23, 2004).]

Comment

Yes...i too am without a Beethoven Bust. But I did see a nice pewter Mozart Bust a while back.

Comment

Working...
                  X