Your "Good mood pieces"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ahmad:
    Actually I have no idea about Goethe's appreciation of Beethoven's music..would you please give me a brief explanation of that?
    Felix Mendelsson visited Goethe in 1830 and played for him. As he played also of the 5th, Goethe said: "That is moving nothing at all, does not make only a being astonished, that is grandios! That is very largely, completely terrific, one would like to be afraid the house would fall, and if now all this humans play together!"

That is to have been the very last time that he listened to Beethoven's music... hope the quote is not alienated too much

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
      It's grey and cold out there. I don't hope you have it with Schubert, as he said: "Is there actually cheerful music? I know from none."

What is your antidote to keep bad mood far away?

Nothing like listening to some of Beethoven's lighter symphonies (such as the opening of No. 1)!

Comment

I took the whole "Missa" three times today as medicine. I feel fine!
        Three times?! WOW.

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
          Three times?! WOW.
          Yep, your posting brought me back to this work, I wasn't very close to. Today already twice again, so it seems to be the right thing to keep me alive thru a lot of html stuff.

Comment

Yep, your posting brought me back to this work, I wasn't very close to. Today already twice again, so it seems to be the right thing to keep me alive thru a lot of html stuff.
            Well, then I'm glad for bringing this supreme work close to somebody. This is nearly the best you can get from listening music! And let's praise LVB too!

Comment

My choice - the marvelous overture to Wagner's 'Meistersinger von Nurnberg'. There is much music that expresses cheerfulness and serenity, but this piece expresses a joy of such depth, such a whole-hearted, profound happiness, that the best poety could express it only superficially. The feeling it presents seems to be this - the feeling of resignation, of a great soul who has suffered deeply, who has nevertheless returned to life, like a recovering convalescent, with joyful resignation - a feeling that life, despite all its unpleasantness, is, after all, worth living even on these terms. To give it a picture, I would suggest a glorious, sunny afternoon in early autumn ... it is a piece which sucessfully combines detachment with acceptance, youthful vigour and delight (the 'evanescent scent of youth') with aged wisdom and serenity. A music of such profound, touching humanity that ones faith in human nature is restored, if only temporarily. I pity anyone who lives without experiencing the feelings expressed in this piece.

[This message has been edited by Steppenwolf (edited December 16, 2003).]
              "It is only as an aesthetic experience that existence is eternally justified" - Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Steppenwolf:
                My choice - the marvelous overture to Wagner's 'Meistersinger von Nurnberg'. There is much music that expresses cheerfulness and serenity, but this piece expresses a joy of such depth, such a whole-hearted, profound happiness, that the best poety could express it only superficially. The feeling it presents seems to be this - the feeling of resignation, of a great soul who has suffered deeply, who has nevertheless returned to life, like a recovering convalescent, with joyful resignation - a feeling that life, despite all its unpleasantness, is, after all, worth living even on these terms. To give it a picture, I would suggest a glorious, sunny afternoon in early autumn ... it is a piece which sucessfully combines detachment with acceptance, youthful vigour and delight (the 'evanescent scent of youth') with aged wisdom and serenity. A music of such profound, touching humanity that ones faith in human nature is restored, if only temporarily. I pity anyone who lives without experiencing the feelings expressed in this piece.

[This message has been edited by Steppenwolf (edited December 16, 2003).]

Comment

Originally posted by heidi:
                  Oops. I hit the return button. But still on this subject, for the past few weeks I have been listening to the 1st piano concerto, 3rd movement. Very lively. I have just introduced 'Rage over a Lost Penny' to my youngest daughter. She calls it 'Donald's Dollar'. Evedintly Disney has a cartoon that has this music where Donald is trying catch a loss dollar. I have to see it. I think my all time favorite is the 4th piano conterto, 3rd movement. It works on me all the time.

On the opposite of this suject, what music can bring you to tears. A few of Beethoven's would be the 2nd movement of the 5th piano concerto, the 3rd movement of the 9th symphony and the 'Shepard's Song' (last movement in the Pastoral symphony). Others would be Samual Baber's Adagio for Strings and Bach 'Air'. So beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by heidi:
                    Oops. I hit the return button. But still on this subject, for the past few weeks I have been listening to the 1st piano concerto, 3rd movement. Very lively. I have just introduced 'Rage over a Lost Penny' to my youngest daughter. She calls it 'Donald's Dollar'. Evedintly Disney has a cartoon that has this music where Donald is trying catch a loss dollar. I have to see it. I think my all time favorite is the 4th piano conterto, 3rd movement. It works on me all the time.

On the opposite of this suject, what music can bring you to tears. A few of Beethoven's would be the 2nd movement of the 5th piano concerto, the 3rd movement of the 9th symphony and the 'Shepard's Song' (last movement in the Pastoral symphony). Others would be Samual Baber's Adagio for Strings and Bach 'Air'. So beautiful.
                    3rd mvmnt of the 4th piano concerto is in every case one of my favorites too! As short it is, it has an unbelievably depht. I think this is highest quality of composing art, as just a genius like B. was able to create.

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited December 17, 2003).]

Comment

Vivaldi "English Concerto"

Comment

Opus 13 "Moonlight" first mvmnt could be endless for my taste...

Comment

Working...
                        X