Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Search of Beethoven (Phil Grabsky's blog)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Search of Beethoven (Phil Grabsky's blog)

Phil Grabsky who is the head man working on the film, "In Search of Beethoven", recently and finally made an update on his blog talking about Beethoven. Here is most of it:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    July 7th 2008
    Apologies to those of you who read the blog - and, from emails, I know there are one or two of you out there! - it's been ages since I updated and I can only offer the moderately acceptable excuse that I have been madly busy... The film project IN SEARCH OF BEETHOVEN has been filming since January and has been a roller-coaster of preparation, travelling and filming. But, as of last weekend, I can now safely say we've pretty much covered 90% -and it's been a great treat. I have been able to film fabulous musicians such as Ronald Brautigam, Paul Lewis, Manny Ax, Janine Jansen, Frans Bruggen and the Orchestra of the 18th Century, Riccardo Chailly and the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra, Fabio Luisi at the Musikverien in Vienna, the Endellion String Quartet, Roger Norrington, Jonathan Biss and the Salzburg Camerata, Gianandrea Noseda, Claudio Abbado conducting Fidelio - and many more (all listed soon on the insearchofbeethoven.com website). It's always a struggle gaining access and then getting to the locations with HD cameras, etc- but once the music starts....I was asked last night if I have any favourites but the problem with Beethoven - even more than Mozart perhaps - is that there are simply too many extraordinary pieces to select favourites. The symphonies, the piano sonatas, the string quartets, Missa Solemnis, Fidelio, the piano concertos - how can you leave any out? I feel genuinely privileged to have filmed them all and to have a record of them - and to at least be able to put some extracts in a film. Maybe if we can raise some funds, I can put longer extracts (of some) of the website - or at least the interviews (which have been so interesting). And Beethoven - what kind of man is emerging? Well, certainly someone far different from the caricature of a miserable, unhygienic, loveless, wild man in an attic banging furiously at the piano...he's far more 'rounded' than that - the letters alone reveal also his loves, his humours, his friendships, his optimisms. It's a wonderful story that produces some of history's greatest examples of what we, as humans, are capable of, so I hope the film adequately can pay some little tribute to him.

I know there are quite a few of you who read this blog who want to know when the film is coming to your local cinemas - especially in Australia, New Zealand and North America. Well, honestly I haven't had time to pinpoint that but I would expect next Summer or Autumn - and I'll certainly be hoping to attend as many opening nights as possible.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

I just hope that the person who plays Beethoven doesn't look like the Stieler portrait, as they did in the BBC production Beethoven! Yes, the Stieler isn't my favorite, .

Besides that it seems that he realizes that Beethoven was a touching soul and not some brute, beast like, jerk. Which is great, because that will make the movie much much more accurate, which I hope it is, accurate. Although, I know that Beethoven would get obsessive at times about hygiene, Thayer states several times, in the chapters that I have read, that Beethoven's living quarters could be quite messy, such as in Copying Beethoven. So my point is that when Phil Grabsky talks about Beethoven being well rounded, I hope he doesn't try to make him to well rounded because he was most certainly not, to my understanding! I hope that he realizes that Beethoven was a man who was pretty eccentric.
    Last edited by Preston; 07-17-2008, 09:42 PM.
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Thanks for that Preston - let us know if you find out a release date! Grabsky comes from Brighton UK, very near me! Did you see his 'In search of Mozart'?
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Thanks for that Preston - let us know if you find out a release date! Grabsky comes from Brighton UK, very near me! Did you see his 'In search of Mozart'?
      No problem Peter, will do as far as the release date.

I really wanted to see In Search of Mozart, and still do! I should have bought it by now, just haven't gotten around to it. It sounds like In Search of Mozart is quite good. I will probably order them both at the same time. Have you seen In Search of Mozart, if so, what did you make of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post

I really wanted to see In Search of Mozart, and still do! I should have bought it by now, just haven't gotten around to it. It sounds like In Search of Mozart is quite good. I will probably order them both at the same time. Have you seen In Search of Mozart, if so, what did you make of it?
        I'm not sure I have - I saw a 3 part Mozart documentary in 2004 but I don't think that can be the same as In search of Mozart was 2006.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          I'm not sure I have - I saw a 3 part Mozart documentary in 2004 but I don't think that can be the same as In search of Mozart was 2006.
          I know the 3 part documentary you are talking about, The Genius of Mozart (BBC). I have seen the first part of it on the internet but I wasn't able to find the others. They also did the Beethoven (BBC) which I know you know of, but they took out "The Genius of" part and just put "Beethoven". Unfortunately, you can't buy these.

Comment

Hi Preston, I can't seem to find the website on 'in search of beethoven'. When I put that in nothing comes up? Is there another website address? Thanks!
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I can't find it either, Joy. I don't think it's up and running yet. Put "Grabsky" and "Beethoven" into Google and you'll find some sites.

Comment

Hi Joy and Michael. The website for Beethoven is not up and running yet, as Michael said. Try the links listed below, and they will take you to the company's website. There you can read his blog and what not. The company is called Seventh Art Productions.

http://www.seventh-art.com/
                http://www.insearchofbeethoven.com/

Comment

Thanks Preston, that worked!
                  'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I recently purchased In Search of Mozart from www.seventh-art.com and would really recommend buying it. There is a trailer on youtube and a couple of interviews with Phil Grabsky talking about the documentary. I'm really looking forward to the Beeethoven film.

Dan

Comment

new post of his blog...

--------------------------------------------------------------------
                      September 20th 2008
                      A month into the editing now and the beast that is the film IN SEARCH OF BEETHOVEN makes slow but steady process. I remember the rough-cut of IN SEARCH OF MOZART once topped 11 hours - or maybe even more than that - and now Beethoven has hit double figures, edging over ten hours yesterday. It's not my fault! He just wrote so much great music which I have been fortunate enough, after a lot of hard work, to gain access to film - and I have also been lucky enough to have done 40 or 50 interviews with world experts on him and his music. So the challenge is whittling it down, and down again, until it is more like 2 or 3 hours. So far we've had no really tough decisions to make - except for cutting one world famous violinist who simply felt unnecessary. But I tremble at facing choices between symphonies or not being able to keep in all five piano concertos, etc. And I really don't want to only have 20 second clips - ah well, time will tell.
                      It's Saturday today so the office is quiet and I can spend the day snipping away. I shouldn't take the great Michelangelo's name in vain but it feels like his wonderful unfinished slave sculpture- you know there is a work of art in there somewhere but it involves extraordinary precision in working through the marble until the form is fully realised. We'll see...
                      Meanwhile, my days are accompanied by the performance of, among others, Helene Grimaud, Ronald Brautigam, Vadim Repin, Claudio Abbado, Paul Lewis - and so, so many more. Somebody asked me the other day what is my favourite piece and it's impossible to answer - it's the piece I'm working on at that moment. Yesterday we were editing the Missa Solemnis that I filmed in the Musikverrein in Vienna and we were laying the violin solo over an extract of interview from the conductor Fabio Luisi in which he was explaining how the violin playing over the orchestra was written by Beethoven like that to illustrate the Holy Ghost hanging over mankind. I love that kind of insight, explaining what I am seeing and what it means.
                      The World Premiere is now set for 30th March in the Concert Hall in London's Barbican so I have a tight schedule to keep to now. US, Australian, Dutch theatrical releases are also being sorted out so one can feel the pressure ramping up. No-one has tried to make anything as comprehensive as this (just as no-one has made a film as comprehensive about Mozart as IN SEARCH OF MOZART) and I really feel a responsibility to do a good job not just for the screenings and broadcasts we'll have next year but the screenings and broadcasts we'll be having in 10 years. Mind you, one has to wonder what kind of media environment we'll be living in over the next decade: I went to a UK channel's Commissioning Briefing a few days ago and their Editor of Factual announced how delighted she was with a recent production (that had got just under 3 million viewers) - the title? 'The Woman with Giant Legs'. You can see why I can never raise the money to make films like Beethoven! I don't know what's worse - the broadcaster commissioning something like that or 3 million people deciding that was the best way they could spend an hour of their time. Or, indeed, the fact that, in a public forum, you would declare great pride in having shown such a film. Maybe it was ever thus: poor old Ludwig had to put up with the knowledge that the most popular symphony during his life time was his so-called Battle Symphony - all cannons and rousing patriotic tunes. Maybe human nature simply doesn't change and artists just have to deal with that fact and work around it. Anyway, my edit suite awaits - this morning, it's the fantastic Endellion String Quartet and the late quartets...
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------

I still don't know if there is an actor playing Beethoven? It doesn't seem like it. It seems more like a documentary.

Comment

In search of Beethoven

-------------

You will enjoy "In Search of Mozart", Preston. I can recommend it.

Agnes.

Comment

Thank you Agnes. I do want to watch it, very much so.

Comment

In search of Beethoven

Thank you Agnes. I do want to watch it, very much so.
                            -------------

The film created quite a sensation in Sydney. It was scheduled
                            to be shown only for a period of two weeks but to the amazement
                            of the presenters the film, by popular demand, was shown for
                            an extended period. It seems, that Mozart has lost none of his
                            popularity. I expect the same from the Beethoven film.

Agnes.

Comment

Hi everyone,

Just to let you know Phil is currently editing In Search of Beethoven and it will premiere at London's Barbican Hall on March 30th 2009 at 7:30pm. Tickets are priced at £10/£15 and are available to purchase from the Barbican website. Director Phil Grabsky will be attending the premiere. Not one to miss, grab your tickets before they go.

www.barbican.org.uk - To book your tickets for In Search of Beethoven

www.seventh-art.com - For further information on the documentary, Phil Grabsky's blog and other work.

Emma

Comment

Working...
                              X