The Beethoven Reference Site Forums  

Go Back   The Beethoven Reference Site Forums > General > Beethoven and Classical Music Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 03:20 AM   #121
Chris
Administrator

Copying and pasting is going to get old fast, so I added some custom BB codes to do subscripts and superscripts.

See the code list for how to use them:

http://www.gyrix.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode#sub

So now you can make text like this.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:32 AM   #122
Chris
Administrator

Update: I've added icons to automatically place these new BB codes. When you reply to a post, they show up next to the YouTube icon. They look like this:

Subscript: X2
Superscript: X2
Old 09-12-2017, 08:47 AM   #123
Quijote

Just checking to see how it works...
E = MC2
H20
Old 09-12-2017, 08:47 AM   #124
Quijote

Perfect, thanks.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:02 PM   #125
Quijote

Here's a link to what's coming up soon in my neck of the woods:
http://www.festivalmusica.org/

Click on the various tabs (such as "programme") for more details.

I've been attending this festival since 1989 or thereabouts, and have had the chance to meet up and exchange blows with Cage and Stockhausen!! (Well, not really to that extent, but certainly to exchange a few words!)
Old 09-19-2017, 07:29 AM   #126
Peter
Administrator

Mozart Laudate Dominum
Old 09-20-2017, 06:53 PM   #127
Quijote

Well here's a great piece for two drummers with incredible cross-rhythms !!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY4sPFD-iBk
Absolute virtuosi, these two are!!
Old 09-21-2017, 02:40 PM   #128
Sorrano

Schumann's 2nd Symphony (his own orchestration).
Palestrina: Sicut Servis (this followed at then end of the Bruckner Christus Factus from the link provided by our good Don.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:50 PM   #129
Sorrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quijote View Post
That was totally groovy! It was curious to me that they even had the scores there as seldom as they looked at them. Nice total coherence, too; it all fit together very nicely.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:26 PM   #130
Quijote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrano View Post
That was totally groovy! It was curious to me that they even had the scores there as seldom as they looked at them. Nice total coherence, too; it all fit together very nicely.
Hi Sorrano, thanks for replying. They kept that pulse going very well, it must be said. Such great musicianship there!
Actually, I watched them closely and they did often look up at the score. Whatever.
I'll be following up on your Schumann suggestions later...
All the best!
Old 09-24-2017, 10:42 AM   #131
Megan

Good Boccherini with coffee morning.
Listening to Cello Sonata in Bb major.

Last edited by Megan; 09-24-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:27 PM   #132
hal9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quijote View Post
This is really cool.

I've had this on the brain for a couple of days now.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:38 PM   #133
Sorrano

Mendelssohn: Symphony No. 5. This is perhaps my favorite of his symphonies.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:15 PM   #134
Fidelio

Beethoven Complete Works for Cello & Piano
Frank Braley and Gautier Capuçon

Must it be.....it must be
Old 10-08-2017, 09:34 AM   #135
Quijote

John Dowland, "Flow, my tears"
https://youtu.be/y3REIVlo2Ss
Old 10-08-2017, 03:05 PM   #136
Decrepit Poster

A rare appearance for me here, my hearing being what it now is. Searching for interesting videos of various sorts at YouTube I noticed a link entitled "Brazilian pianist, Eliane Rodrigues, LITERALLY taking the performance below the stage!" The title and thumbnail of the rather attractive performer who, so far as I know, I'd not heard of before, intrigued me enough to follow the link. The lady is a real trooper in how she copes with the discovery of a faulty piano at the beginning of a concert recital. I got a big kick out of it. What's more, I enjoyed her playing so much I decided to search out other of her filmed performances. I've only just begun that journey, but already unearthed Ms. Rodrigues performing one of her own compositions, Da "Momentos Musicais." I quite like it.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:39 PM   #137
Sorrano

Been listening to a bit of Dowland, thanks to Quijote.

Also, Messiaen: Eclairs Sur L'au-dela... and Quatuor pour la fin du temps

Any Messiaen fans out there?
Old 10-12-2017, 02:20 PM   #138
Michael

"The Battle of Prague" by Frantisek Kotzwara.
Frantisek who?
I am merely listening out of curiosity because this gentleman has been described as the worst classical composer of all time. (Actually he sounds like one of the younger Bachs on a bad day.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3CJRaj_gvo
Old 10-12-2017, 02:35 PM   #139
Sorrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
"The Battle of Prague" by Frantisek Kotzwara.
Frantisek who?
I am merely listening out of curiosity because this gentleman has been described as the worst classical composer of all time. (Actually he sounds like one of the younger Bachs on a bad day.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3CJRaj_gvo
Did you check out his manner of demise? It wasn't from listening to this piece, either.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:47 AM   #140
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrano View Post
Did you check out his manner of demise? It wasn't from listening to this piece, either.
I didn't, Sorrano, but thanks for alerting me. (I think.)

Ugh! Even if he was "the world's worst composer".
Old 10-13-2017, 02:26 PM   #141
Michael

Beethoven's String Quartet Opus 18 No. 1 (Original "Amenda" version).

Beethoven famously told his friend Amenda not to show his copy to anyone as B had substantially revised it having, in his own words, "just learned how to write string quartets."

However, I find the original version has its own charms. It does lack some forward momentum in the development section of the first movement where Beethoven's engine cuts out here and there and he has to restart, but maybe I'm only looking for faults and I wouldn't rely too much on my musical knowledge!
Most of the other "improvements" are quite subtle. Still, the more I hear this version, the more it occurs to me that if Beethoven had left it like that we might have been none the wiser and quite happy.

He was always revising up to the last minute. Who knows what he would have done with other works if he was left alone in the room with them and if they hadn't been published and paid for. We might think his greatest works need no improvement but we're not Beethoven.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #142
Chris
Administrator

I had similar thoughts upon first hearing the "Amenda" version of Op. 18 No. 1, Michael. I love that we have access to this and other earlier/alternate works of Beethoven and other composers. It gives a fascinating peak into their creative processes.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:13 PM   #143
Chris
Administrator

Viadana - Exsultate justi

I'm looking for something for my schola cantorum to sing for All Saints Day, and this is a wonderful piece. Probably not enough time for us to pull this together by then, but maybe next year...
Old 10-13-2017, 11:15 PM   #144
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I had similar thoughts upon first hearing the "Amenda" version of Op. 18 No. 1, Michael. I love that we have access to this and other earlier/alternate works of Beethoven and other composers. It gives a fascinating peak into their creative processes.
The "Leonora/Fidelio" saga is particularly interesting. I have two versions of the Leonoras which are substantially different but I get bogged down between the 1805 and the 1806 ones, particularly as there are disagreements among experts as to what was actually performed back then.
It's still fascinating to compare them with the "finished" item. Who knows what he would have done if he had one more go at it?
Old 10-14-2017, 01:42 AM   #145
Chris
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
The "Leonora/Fidelio" saga is particularly interesting. I have two versions of the Leonoras which are substantially different but I get bogged down between the 1805 and the 1806 ones, particularly as there are disagreements among experts as to what was actually performed back then.
It's still fascinating to compare them with the "finished" item. Who knows what he would have done if he had one more go at it?
Yes, I have the 1805 version conducted by Blomstedt and the 1806 version conducted by Soustrot, and I love both of these recordings. The final version is the best I think, in terms of the whole opera, but I do love the music that was cut from the earlier versions (and not just the overtures).
Old 10-14-2017, 01:02 PM   #146
Fidelio

An die ferne Geliebte, Brendel & Goerne
Christus am Ölberge, Placido Domingo, Deutsches Symphonie Orchester Berlin and Kent Nagano

Must it be.....it must be
Old 10-15-2017, 06:23 AM   #147
Harvey

I am listening to Anna Bolena featuring Joan Sutherland as Anna and conducted by Bonynge.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:20 PM   #148
Chris
Administrator

Mozart - Symphony No. 38

I was stuck in traffic this morning, and this made the wait rather enjoyable!
Old 10-17-2017, 06:04 PM   #149
Zevy

Quote:
Mozart - Symphony No. 38

I was stuck in traffic this morning, and this made the wait rather enjoyable!
Did you miss the "missing" Minuet?
Old 10-17-2017, 07:54 PM   #150
Chris
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevy View Post
Did you miss the "missing" Minuet?
The slow introduction to the first movement made up for it!
Old 10-18-2017, 05:06 PM   #151
Zevy

Quote:
The slow introduction to the first movement made up for it!
True. The symphony is long enough; just perfect the way it is.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:57 AM   #152
Decrepit Poster

During a periodic visit to YouTube to listen to Natalie Stutzmann perform Schubert's Death and the Maiden I noticed links to a few other Stutzmann Schubert renditions. One thing led to another until I found myself ordering a 3-CD set of Stutzmann singing Schubert lieder cycles and a few non cycle lieder off Amazon. I surprised myself doing so, as I fully expected my physical discs buying days were over due to hearing loss. Be that as it may, the set arrived this past Wednesday. I listened to two discs that day, the remaining disc yesterday evening.

Of the three cycles, I was well acquainted with only the last, Schwanengesang, mostly in its Liszt piano transcription. (I have of course heard bits and pieces from them all.) Another surprise, I find myself most drawn to the earliest of them, Die Schone Mullerin.

Sticking with Ms Stutzmann, I watched her conduct an impressive performance of Mozart's Symphony No.35.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:06 PM   #153
Peter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decrepit Poster View Post
During a periodic visit to YouTube to listen to Natalie Stutzmann perform Schubert's Death and the Maiden I noticed links to a few other Stutzmann Schubert renditions. One thing led to another until I found myself ordering a 3-CD set of Stutzmann singing Schubert lieder cycles and a few non cycle lieder off Amazon. I surprised myself doing so, as I fully expected my physical discs buying days were over due to hearing loss. Be that as it may, the set arrived this past Wednesday. I listened to two discs that day, the remaining disc yesterday evening.

Of the three cycles, I was well acquainted with only the last, Schwanengesang, mostly in its Liszt piano transcription. (I have of course heard bits and pieces from them all.) Another surprise, I find myself most drawn to the earliest of them, Die Schone Mullerin.

Sticking with Ms Stutzmann, I watched her conduct an impressive performance of Mozart's Symphony No.35.
The Liszt song transcriptions are wonderful and 'Die Schone Mullerin' was the first song cycle by any composer I became familiar with as it was set for my Music GCE back in the 70s.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:29 PM   #154
Quijote

Quote:
[...] I find myself most drawn to the earliest of them, Die Schone Mullerin.
It's a wonderful song cycle, Decrepit, and a great teaching resource for me as an obscure harmony pedagogue in a backwater music faculty in France! For what it's worth, I use the song Der Müller und der Bach to introduce 2nd year undergraduates to the N6 (the Neapolitan 6th chord) and it always goes down well ... until they hand in their homework.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:23 AM   #155
Decrepit Poster

I've been on something of a Chopin kick these past several days, listening to a variety of his more "showy" pieces. (I must confess I've never been able to drum up much enthusiasm for either of his two piano concertos.) In the process I chanced upon a rather respectable rendition of the Revolutionary Etude performed by Umi Garrett. Her combination of youth and talent led me to seek out more of her performances. Among what I heard is a performance of the final movement of Beethoven's Piano Trio Op.1 No.1 in which she, at circa 9yrs, does a very commendable job and looks to be enjoying herself in the process. Just while ago I found a video of Her, age 10, performing a Liszt work totally unknown to me as an orchestra concert encore. (Would someone please tell me what it is?)

Listening to these, then looking back at my own long ago feeble attempts at musicianship, drives home just how pathetic I truly was. Even back then I knew myself to be a flawed mediocrity at best. Now that we have easy access to a wealth of truly talented musicians I realize I was, in comparison, even worse than I gave myself credit for. Yeesh...here I go getting nostalgic. =P
Old 10-31-2017, 03:52 PM   #156
Peter
Administrator

Lightbulb

Quote:
I've been on something of a Chopin kick these past several days, listening to a variety of his more "showy" pieces. (I must confess I've never been able to drum up much enthusiasm for either of his two piano concertos.) In the process I chanced upon a rather respectable rendition of the Revolutionary Etude performed by Umi Garrett. Her combination of youth and talent led me to seek out more of her performances. Among what I heard is a performance of the final movement of Beethoven's Piano Trio Op.1 No.1 in which she, at circa 9yrs, does a very commendable job and looks to be enjoying herself in the process. Just while ago I found a video of Her, age 10, performing a Liszt work totally unknown to me as an orchestra concert encore. (Would someone please tell me what it is?)

Listening to these, then looking back at my own long ago feeble attempts at musicianship, drives home just how pathetic I truly was. Even back then I knew myself to be a flawed mediocrity at best. Now that we have easy access to a wealth of truly talented musicians I realize I was, in comparison, even worse than I gave myself credit for. Yeesh...here I go getting nostalgic. =P
Hello Decrepit, the Liszt piece is the second of two concert studies 'Gnomenreigen' written in Rome c.1862.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:28 PM   #157
Peter
Administrator

Morten Lauridsen - O Magnum Mysterium
Old 11-03-2017, 11:44 AM   #158
gprengel

I'm listening to a very epic work which I just discovered recently - the 1st Trio from C. Frank with an awesome first movement! Especially I love the second theme at 4:12, so beautiful in its simplicity, and the climax at 7:30
I can't beleive it's from 1840 ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izzXp0aOL2I&t=802s

Last edited by gprengel; 11-03-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:32 AM   #159
hal9000

That's a great piece grpengel. But from the description:

"With its budding genius, this trio (Op.1 No.1) marks an epoch in the history of musical evolution... alone at this period, the young composer ventured to plan his first important work according to ideas which Beethoven did little more than touch on in the last years of his life."

What are these ideas?
Old 11-04-2017, 08:14 AM   #160
Peter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprengel View Post
I'm listening to a very epic work which I just discovered recently - the 1st Trio from C. Frank with an awesome first movement! Especially I love the second theme at 4:12, so beautiful in its simplicity, and the climax at 7:30
I can't beleive it's from 1840 ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izzXp0aOL2I&t=802s
Wonderful, thank you, it was also unknown to me. I love all the interesting links there are between musicians truly showing what a small world it is. Franck was a pupil of Anton Reicha who had been a close friend of Beethoven as they both had played in the court orchestra and studied at the university of Bonn. Like Beethoven and Schubert he studied with Salieri and Albrechtsberger and also met Haydn. Amongst his other famous pupils were Berlioz, Liszt, Gounod, Pauline Viardot, and the female composer Louise Farrenc.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: