The Beethoven Reference Site Forums  

Go Back   The Beethoven Reference Site Forums > General > Beethoven and Classical Music Discussion

Old 02-11-2018, 08:37 PM   #1
Jacred

Op. 119 Bagatelles

Op. 126 has always been my go-to set of bagatelles. Op. 119, though, is delightfully curious as well.

The first five bagatelles were composed two decades before the other six, which came from the same time period as his last three piano sonatas. From my listening experience, I notice that the mood shifts noticeably during the sixth bagatelle. Nos. 7 - 11 are more pensive and spacious than nos. 1 - 5... excluding the A minor eruption of the 9th bagatelle, I guess.

Interestingly enough, it's debated whether or not the bagatelles were intended to have been published as two sets instead of one.

So... what are your thoughts on op. 119 as a whole?
Old 02-11-2018, 09:29 PM   #2
Chris
Administrator

I really enjoy both listening to and playing these pieces. They are not very difficult, and as you say, there is a definite difference between the two halves, so playing through these pieces is a way to experience both earlier and later Beethoven without having to have the time or talent of a concert pianist.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:50 PM   #3
Sorrano

In looking at Beethoven's bagatelles, overall, I feel that each of these is a masterpiece in miniature. Each play through I am always amazed at the economy of notes and the depth of what is being expressed.
Sorrano is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
119, bagatelles, piano

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: