The Beethoven Reference Site Forums  

Go Back   The Beethoven Reference Site Forums > General > Beethoven and Classical Music Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2018, 07:37 AM   #41
Peter
Administrator
 
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 9,604
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique View Post
I once heard on TV some music for chorus and piano from Bramhs, and liked it a lot. Did he write much music for singing by a chorus, with or without accompaniment, Peter?
Yes indeed, here's a link listing them - http://www1.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/...f_choral_works

The German Requiem, Schicksalslied op. 54 and the Alto Rhapsody are particularly fine - this cd might also be a good place to start, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brahms-Chor.../dp/B0000037HQ
__________________
'Man know thyself'
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:09 PM   #42
Megan
Senior Member
 
Megan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Land of Hope and Glory
Posts: 1,799
Peteris Vasks, Cantable. Birmingham Symphony Orchestra.

Gorgeous music!
__________________
🎹

Last edited by Megan; 01-16-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Megan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:25 PM   #43
Megan
Senior Member
 
Megan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Land of Hope and Glory
Posts: 1,799
Pēteris Vasks Vientulais Engelis (Lonely Angel), Meditation for Violin & String Orchestra

This is a must listen to.



__________________
🎹

Last edited by Megan; 01-16-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Megan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:30 PM   #44
Peter
Administrator
 
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 9,604
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan View Post
Pēteris Vasks – Vientulais Engelis (Lonely Angel), Meditation for Violin & String Orchestra

This is a must listen to.

Nice find, enjoyed this.
__________________
'Man know thyself'
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:41 AM   #45
Enrique
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Yes indeed, here's a link listing them - http://www1.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/...f_choral_works

The German Requiem, Schicksalslied op. 54 and the Alto Rhapsody are particularly fine - this cd might also be a good place to start, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brahms-Chor.../dp/B0000037HQ
Thanks a lot. Well I think I have listened to the Requiem over a hundred times already. First time I heard it, on the wireless set, I took the phone and called to know what the thing they were radiating was. The speaker told me it was the German Requiem. Next day they were radiating it again. But again , I called and I got the same answer, to my astonishment at not recognizing the work (which is very long) I had beeing listening to the day before.
Enrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:35 AM   #46
Enrique
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 1,292
Mozart: The piano concerto in C minor no.24.

The ashtonishing and, if only I knew some of the history of music would dare say revolutianary first movement, ends with the upper voices doing C-Db-C-B-C (flutes for instance). Such an energetic piece of music ending with those measures with that slight sadness! In that time feelings like that (sadness) cuold not, and should not be seen from the outside. Perhaps it's the delicacy in the expression of feelings that makes 18th century music so wonderful that it deserved the name of classisism. You just presiente the feeling is there but it will never be visible. I remember somebody once spoke about the depths of Mozart's heart.
Enrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:34 PM   #47
Peter
Administrator
 
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 9,604
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique View Post
Mozart: The piano concerto in C minor no.24.

The ashtonishing and, if only I knew some of the history of music would dare say revolutianary first movement, ends with the upper voices doing C-Db-C-B-C (flutes for instance). Such an energetic piece of music ending with those measures with that slight sadness! In that time feelings like that (sadness) cuold not, and should not be seen from the outside. Perhaps it's the delicacy in the expression of feelings that makes 18th century music so wonderful that it deserved the name of classisism. You just presiente the feeling is there but it will never be visible. I remember somebody once spoke about the depths of Mozart's heart.
Yes this work is quite wonderful - Beethoven himself was in awe of it.
__________________
'Man know thyself'
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:20 PM   #48
Zevy
Senior Member
 
Zevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Lakewood, NJ USA
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Yes this work is quite wonderful - Beethoven himself was in awe of it.
And so was Mozart
__________________
Zevy
Zevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:40 PM   #49
Sorrano
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Posts: 4,383
Speaking of Mozart, I've been listening to his Great Mass in C Minor. Another wonderful creation.
Sorrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:31 PM   #50
Chris
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 3,331
I'm looking into pieces for my schola cantorum to sing. Byrd's Gradualia are truly wonderful! I'm listening to this right now:

William Byrd - Mass Propers for Easter Day: Introit - Resurrexi
Choir of The Queen's College Oxford - Owen Rees

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:40 AM   #51
Megan
Senior Member
 
Megan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Land of Hope and Glory
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I'm looking into pieces for my schola cantorum to sing. Byrd's Gradualia are truly wonderful! I'm listening to this right now:

William Byrd - Mass Propers for Easter Day: Introit - Resurrexi
Choir of The Queen's College Oxford - Owen Rees




Chris, I get video not available,
__________________
🎹
Megan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:43 AM   #52
Chris
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 3,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan View Post
Chris, I get video not available,
Hm, it works for me. Does it say it's not available in your country?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:02 AM   #53
Megan
Senior Member
 
Megan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Land of Hope and Glory
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Hm, it works for me. Does it say it's not available in your country?
No, it just says, This Video is not available.

I was thinking I might be able to listen on Spotify free trial.

I can listen to extracts on this page:- https://itunes.apple.com/fr/album/ch...ign-mpt=uo%3D4


__________________
🎹

Last edited by Megan; 01-20-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Megan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:34 AM   #54
Megan
Senior Member
 
Megan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Land of Hope and Glory
Posts: 1,799





__________________
🎹

Last edited by Megan; 01-27-2018 at 06:42 AM.
Megan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:06 PM   #55
Harvey
Senior Member
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Metro Detroit Area
Posts: 584
Working my way through a 20 CD set: Dame Janet Baker, The Great EMI Recordings.

Wonderful voice!
__________________
Quote:
There are no long Wagner operas. Only short attention spans.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:29 AM   #56
Megan
Senior Member
 
Megan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Land of Hope and Glory
Posts: 1,799
How fast did Mozart and Beethoven really play?




Interesting discussion on tempo.




__________________
🎹

Last edited by Megan; 01-30-2018 at 07:34 AM.
Megan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:19 PM   #57
Chris
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 3,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan View Post



Interesting discussion on tempo.




Very interesting. Thanks for sharing that, Megan.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:02 PM   #58
Zevy
Senior Member
 
Zevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Lakewood, NJ USA
Posts: 240
Vladimir Horowitz's live performance of the Tchaikovsky #1 with Toscanini conducting.
WOW!
__________________
Zevy
Zevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:22 PM   #59
Megan
Senior Member
 
Megan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Land of Hope and Glory
Posts: 1,799
__________________
🎹
Megan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:11 PM   #60
gprengel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Muhltal, Germany
Posts: 395
some of my favourite Handel chorusses:

Solomon: Praise the Lord --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eEHLg_c8iE

Dettinger Te Deum --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLYZ0NyXz7o&t=1704s :

--> 9. Day by day we magnify Thee,And we worship Thy Name
--> 11. O Lord, in Thee have I trusted

Esther, final Chorus --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klR0HN3rrV8

Last edited by gprengel; 02-02-2018 at 12:16 PM.
gprengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:54 AM   #61
Decrepit Poster
Senior Member
 
Decrepit Poster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mid-South USA
Posts: 355
A rare appearance from me in this thread, my hearing being what it is nowadays. Couldn't resist listening to a lesser known work whose finale has been a favorite of mine for decades, Saint Saens symphony no.1. Here is that finale performed by the Orchestre national l' O.R.T.F under Jean Martinon, the same as my CD set of the Saint Saens symphonies, cued up a bit before the movement begins.
Decrepit Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:42 AM   #62
Peter
Administrator
 
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 9,604
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decrepit Poster View Post
A rare appearance from me in this thread, my hearing being what it is nowadays. Couldn't resist listening to a lesser known work whose finale has been a favorite of mine for decades, Saint Saens symphony no.1, the same as my CD set of the Saint Saens symphonies, cued up a bit before the movement begins.
Thanks for posting this Decrepit - I'm very fond of Saint Saens' symphonies and can't understand why they are so neglected. Inspired me to listen to the aria "Mon coeur s'ouvre ta voix" from Samson et Dalila.

__________________
'Man know thyself'
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:50 AM   #63
Megan
Senior Member
 
Megan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Land of Hope and Glory
Posts: 1,799
__________________
🎹
Megan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:39 AM   #64
Enrique
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 1,292
Schubert: Piano trios 1 & 2.

Youtube is wonderful. For those who love fast food, chaos (propaganda). For the music lover, they won't disturb you.


Last edited by Enrique; 02-18-2018 at 02:57 AM.
Enrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:53 AM   #65
Enrique
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrano View Post
Speaking of Mozart, I've been listening to his Great Mass in C Minor. Another wonderful creation.
The first number (aka movement) is unforgetable. do-sol-sol-sol-sol-mib-mib-mib-mib-....
Enrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.