The Beethoven Reference Site Forums  

Go Back   The Beethoven Reference Site Forums > General > Beethoven and Classical Music Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 11:56 PM   #81
Quijote

Not sure if I've posted this before, but anyway.
First movement of Albrechtsberger's Concerto for Jewish Harp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L48oOAA8FoY
I don't need to remind my fellow Beethoven fans that Albrechtsberger was a key counterpoint teacher of our hero.
The cadenza (at the 4'33" mark [gasp! - was this written by John Cage?] is absolutely hilarious!!
Old 08-20-2017, 12:38 AM   #82
Quijote

And while we're on the subject of one of Beethoven's counterpoint teachers, check out this Organ Concerto: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqkTTBYCXEQ
It must have been wonderful (if not totally unnerving) when young Beethoven arrived on the scene !!
Old 08-20-2017, 01:17 AM   #83
Michael

Nice music, Quijote - even if you don't think so.

Precisely the kind of stuff that Beethoven would have rebelled against - but it's damn catchy! I love it! I'm not qualified to judge its inferiority to the "masters".

Isn't it amazing that all this music (be it first-rate or second-rate) is now available at the touch of a button?

And why shouldn't it be? These guys were writing to the best of their ability at a certain period in history and they deserve to be heard more often.
So much good (if not great) music has been overshadowed by the "great composers".

And without the instruction which this gentleman supplied, Beethoven would possibly never have written the "Grosse Fuge"!
Old 08-20-2017, 08:42 PM   #84
Zevy

Mozart: Six Quartets dedicated to Haydn
Guarneri Quartet (Earlier set)
Old 08-26-2017, 07:05 PM   #85
Quijote

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Isn't it amazing that all this music (be it first-rate or second-rate) is now available at the touch of a button?
It is; and what's more, there's so much of this stuff out there - we'll never have enough time to get to grips with it all...

Quote:
And why shouldn't it be? These guys were writing to the best of their ability at a certain period in history and they deserve to be heard more often.
Couldn't agree more!

Quote:
And without the instruction which this gentleman supplied, Beethoven would possibly never have written the "Grosse Fuge"!
Old 08-27-2017, 04:37 AM   #86
Enrique

Que bueno encontrar de nuevo al nunca bien como se debe alabado caballero don Quijote de la Mancha! I hope you are doing well.

Wagner: Tristan und Isolde, last act, Karajan.

When I discovered music could be got through the internet in a completely gratuitously way, first thing I downloaded, I well remember, was Wagner's Tristan. I got a FLAC file (FLAC is a lossless digital encoding format; contrary to MP3 files, where musical information is intentionally left lacking, trusting in our brain capability to reconstruct the original), and was really happy with this recent adquisition.

Ask me how the opera ends, and I'll never be able to answer you. Today, I am trying to erase this unforgivable ignorance.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:00 PM   #87
Megan

https://www.facebook.com/baroque4you...7702025291084/
Old 08-27-2017, 04:32 PM   #88
Peter
Administrator

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan View Post
Beautiful Megan - Philippe Jaroussky is a great counter-tenor.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:34 PM   #89
Megan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Beautiful Megan - Philippe Jaroussky is a great counter-tenor.
I know, he has a gorgeous voice, I listen to him quite often.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:37 PM   #90
Quijote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique View Post
Que bueno encontrar de nuevo al nunca bien como se debe alabado caballero don Quijote de la Mancha! I hope you are doing well.
Nice to see that I have at last one admirer !! Good to see you here too, Enrique.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:10 AM   #91
Enrique

Mozart: Piano concerto no.27 in B flat major.

I have always said, in great cyclic works, first movements are generally the best part. This is a valid example I think. Well, last year I download the complete concerti. Now I'm liistening to 27 and find the 2nd mov very familiar, and even the last one an old connosaince. The first movement? Well, I discovered it was the least known by me.

But soon I found an explanation. Because it is the medular part, it per force is the most difficult to get familiar with. And so I found I was right after all.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:24 AM   #92
Peter
Administrator

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quijote View Post
Nice to see that I have at last one admirer !! Good to see you here too, Enrique.
I'm sure you have more than one fan here Quijote - good to know you're still visiting us!
Old 08-30-2017, 10:43 PM   #93
Quijote

I know I've posted this before, but I've been listening again (and again) to Zelenka's Nisi dominus...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3eODmwrnoU

This post is a continuation of Michael's point about there being a vast treasure trove of long-forgotten (but quite worthy) music overshadowed by the "greats".
Old 08-31-2017, 02:52 PM   #94
Chris
Administrator

Gershwin - Rhapsody in Blue

Haven't heard this one in a while, but it's one of my favorites.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:48 PM   #95
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Gershwin - Rhapsody in Blue

Haven't heard this one in a while, but it's one of my favorites.
My son absolutely hates this. I don't know why and neither does he.

I haven't listened to any music for the past few days. I wonder if I'm coming down with something.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:01 PM   #96
Humoresque

Loving and enjoying the piano works of Ginastera, amongst them this little gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by05KVIiui4

My friend Max presented a program on Ginastera yesterday for our music group and this included music based on the 12 tone system from the composer's Neo-Expressionist period. One friend in the audience said some of this piano music reminded him of Ligeti and I think that's right. Max said that the rhythms in Ginastera's oeuvre might suggest that the composer walked around his house with a permanent case of St. Vitus's Dance!!!

Highly recommended.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:08 AM   #97
Fidelio

New recording of Beethoven's Diabelli Variations by Filippo Gorini, arrived yesterday.

Must it be.....it must be
Old 09-01-2017, 05:17 PM   #98
Peter
Administrator

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humoresque View Post
Loving and enjoying the piano works of Ginastera, amongst them this little gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by05KVIiui4

My friend Max presented a program on Ginastera yesterday for our music group and this included music based on the 12 tone system from the composer's Neo-Expressionist period. One friend in the audience said some of this piano music reminded him of Ligeti and I think that's right. Max said that the rhythms in Ginastera's oeuvre might suggest that the composer walked around his house with a permanent case of St. Vitus's Dance!!!

Highly recommended.
I've taught this Ginastera Argentinian dance to a few pupils:

Old 09-05-2017, 01:27 PM   #99
Peter
Administrator

Tchaikovsky: Piano Trio in A minor Op. 50 / Martha Argerich, piano
Gidon Kremer, violin / Mischa Maisky, cello
Old 09-09-2017, 07:27 AM   #100
Peter
Administrator

Bach Cantata BWV 54, "Widerstehe doch der Sünde" A Scholl - I ought to include this on my desert island discs!

Old 09-09-2017, 03:12 PM   #101
Quijote

Quote:
Bach Cantata BWV 54, "Widerstehe doch der Sünde" A Scholl - I ought to include this on my desert island discs!
Wonderful!
I love the trick Bach plays on us in bar 51 (last two beats) where we expect a V-I cadence in G minor, but instead get a sudden V+4 (last inversion) in C minor - it's a real jolt!!
Old 09-09-2017, 05:44 PM   #102
Peter
Administrator

Lightbulb

Quote:
Wonderful!
I love the trick Bach plays on us in bar 51 (last two beats) where we expect a V-I cadence in G minor, but instead get a sudden V+4 (last inversion) in C minor - it's a real jolt!!
Yes and what about the very opening chord?
Old 09-10-2017, 09:58 AM   #103
Quijote

Quote:
Yes and what about the very opening chord?
Yes, a real "wake-up" call!! We can imagine perhaps the shock that caused to congregations at the time. (Akin, to take a later example, to the opening of Beethoven's 1st symphony where he starts with a series of V7s outside of the expected key. These gestures strike us as unsurprising these days, but to the sensibilities of the Viennese audience at that time they must have also been quite a jolt.)

As to the opening chord of the BWV* 54, it's a naughty, incomplete II2, i.e. 117 in last inversion; naughty because any inversion of a seventh chord should be complete, as the textbooks tell us. But Bach operates to his own rules...

* I can't tell you how many times I tend to write BMW - is this a marque of car I subconsciously desire?
Old 09-10-2017, 10:58 AM   #104
Quijote

What a coincidence! I just now popped out onto my balcony for a breath of fresh air (I'm lying, I popped out for a quick cigarette; sorry to say I'm back on the fags). Anyway, a BMW with German registration plates just parked in our street (a pedestrian area) where it's forbidden to do so (apart from delivery vans etc at specific times on weekday mornings).
I tried to call out to warn him, but to no avail. In about half an hour his car is going to be towed away...

Last edited by Quijote; 09-10-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:25 AM   #105
Peter
Administrator

Lightbulb

Quote:
Yes, a real "wake-up" call!! We can imagine perhaps the shock that caused to congregations at the time. (Akin, to take a later example, to the opening of Beethoven's 1st symphony where he starts with a series of V7s outside of the expected key. These gestures strike us as unsurprising these days, but to the sensibilities of the Viennese audience at that time they must have also been quite a jolt.)

As to the opening chord of the BWV* 54, it's a naughty, incomplete II2, i.e. 117 in last inversion; naughty because any inversion of a seventh chord should be complete, as the textbooks tell us. But Bach operates to his own rules...

* I can't tell you how many times I tend to write BMW - is this a marque of car I subconsciously desire?
Isn't this unprecedented? I can't think of earlier examples in Bach or elsewhere that start a piece like this.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #106
Quijote

Quote:
Isn't this unprecedented? I can't think of earlier examples in Bach or elsewhere that start a piece like this.
I don't know off hand, to be honest. Your question got me scurrying to my copy of the "371" harmonized chorales and all I can come up with for the moment is chorale N° 10 (Aus tiefer Not schrei ich zu dir) used in Cantata BWV 38 which opens on a dissonant +4 (V7 in last inversion), which is not the same (not nearly as dissonant) as starting on an incomplete II2!

Here's the chorale itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKwaz6rh468

And here's the Cantata:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjHzIFWKPOA

Not quite the same impact, agreed.

Last edited by Quijote; 09-10-2017 at 01:25 PM. Reason: I first wrote BVW!! I really will have to buy me a BMW to resolve this!
Old 09-10-2017, 01:18 PM   #107
Quijote

Also, doesn't one of the movements from Vivaldi "4 Seasons" concertos start on an unexpected dissonance? I can't remember...
Old 09-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #108
Peter
Administrator

Lightbulb

Quote:
Also, doesn't one of the movements from Vivaldi "4 Seasons" concertos start on an unexpected dissonance? I can't remember...
Winter starts on a bar of tonic pedal then followed by a few bars of dissonance.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:21 PM   #109
Quijote

Quote:
Winter starts on a bar of tonic pedal then followed by a few bars of dissonance.
OK.
Back to the Aria from BWV 54, I suppose one could argue that it is simply a dissonance played against the tonic E-flat pedal, but its progression "suggests" to my ears a form of II65* leading to the expected V(7)-I.

* For writing these sorts of chord progressions, it would be useful to have the facility to write the superscript and lowerscript forms. Otherwise put, how can we write E=MC2, with the "2" in superscript? Or H20 with the "2" in lowerscript?

Last edited by Quijote; 09-10-2017 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Incorrect use of the inverted comma: its and not "it's". Sorry.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:36 PM   #110
Peter
Administrator

Lightbulb

Quote:
OK.
Back to the Aria from BWV 54, I suppose one could argue that it is simply a dissonance played against the tonic E-flat pedal, but its progression "suggests" to my ears a form of II65* leading to the expected V(7)-I.

* For writing these sorts of chord progressions, it would be useful to have the facility to write the superscript and lowerscript forms. Otherwise put, how can we write E=MC2, with the "2" in superscript? Or H20 with the "2" in lowerscript?
Yes if you'd asked me to analyse that opening in your class I would have said it was a Vd7 over tonic pedal?
Old 09-10-2017, 07:00 PM   #111
Quijote

Quote:
Yes if you'd asked me to analyse that opening in your class I would have said it was a Vd7 over tonic pedal?
Yes, more or less, given that it is an incomplete 7th (forbidden in the usual textbooks), but so what, hey? The effect is what is important, and it is a wonderful one!
Old 09-10-2017, 07:13 PM   #112
Quijote

Do you think we could have the facility to write superscript and lowerscipt numbers (E=MC2/H20)? Not urgent, but useful. No sweat.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:16 PM   #113
Quijote

Quote:
Anyway, thanks for posting it, it's a great piece! That's the idea of posting on this thread: you post what you've been listening to, and it's up to others to post comments as seems fit and generate a discussion.
Suits me!

Last edited by Quijote; 09-10-2017 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:18 PM   #114
Quijote

Now as to that Ginastera piece ...
Old 09-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #115
Peter
Administrator

Quote:
Now as to that Ginastera piece ...
Which one - mine or Humoresque's?
Old 09-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #116
Peter
Administrator

Quote:
Do you think we could have the facility to write superscript and lowerscipt numbers (E=MC2/H20)? Not urgent, but useful. No sweat.
No idea I'm afraid - Chris might know!
Old 09-10-2017, 07:34 PM   #117
Peter
Administrator

Quote:
Anyway, thanks for posting it, it's a great piece! That's the idea of posting on this thread: you post what you've been listening to, and it's up to others to post comments as seems fit and generate a discussion.
Suits me!
Absolutely and I'm glad to have shared it with you - incidentally Bach used this cantata in his lost St.Mark Passion BWV247
Old 09-10-2017, 08:23 PM   #118
Chris
Administrator

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't think this version of vBulletin supports this directly. You can use alt codes to enter those characters, or copy and paste them from somewhere else, like here:

Superscripts: ⁰ ¹ ² ³ ⁴ ⁵ ⁶ ⁷ ⁸ ⁹

Subscripts: ₀ ₁ ₂ ₃ ₄ ₅ ₆ ₇ ₈ ₉

Maybe at some point I can write a plug-in to make this more convenient.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:51 PM   #119
Quijote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think this version of vBulletin supports this directly. You can use alt codes to enter those characters, or copy and paste them from somewhere else, like here:

Superscripts: ⁰ ¹ ² ³ ⁴ ⁵ ⁶ ⁷ ⁸ ⁹

Subscripts: ₀ ₁ ₂ ₃ ₄ ₅ ₆ ₇ ₈ ₉

Maybe at some point I can write a plug-in to make this more convenient.
OK Chris, thanks, I'll try that next time.
Best, etc,
Quijote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:36 PM   #120
Quijote

Quote:
OK Chris, thanks, I'll try that next time.
Best, etc,
Quijote
A quick check regarding superscript and subscript numbers:
II⁶₅ - V⁷ - I.
Seems to work, great !!
Maybe make this a "sticky" for general viewing and use?
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: