Top Amazon forum LvB String Quartets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top Amazon forum LvB String Quartets

Thought this might be interesting to post here: over at the Amazon Classical music forum they just finished a Beethoven string quartet elimination game and these were the final results (from most valued to least)

1 (tie) - #14 Op. 131 in c-sharp minor - 20
    1 (tie) - #15 Op. 132 in a minor - 20
    2 - #13a Op. 130 in B-flat with Grosse Fuge - 19
    3 - #7 Op. 59-1 in F major "1st Razumovsky" - 17
    4 - #11 Op. 95 in f minor "Serioso" - 10
    5 - #12 Op. 127 in E-flat major
    6 - #16 Op. 135 in F major
    7 - #8 Op. 59-2 in e minor "2nd Razumovsky"
    8 - #13b Op. 130 in B-flat with alternate finale
    9 - #10 Op. 74 in E-flat major "Harp"
    10 - #6 Op. 18-6 in B-flat major
    11 - #5 Op. 18-5 in A major
    12 - #1 Op. 18-1 in F major
    13 - #4 Op. 18-4 in c minor
    14 - #3 Op. 18-3 in D major
    15 - #9 Op. 59-3 in C-major "3rd Razumovsky"
    16 - #2 Op. 18-2 in G major

Pretty close to how I would have ranked them, especially the top 10. Except 59.1 first and 133 2nd...

--------------------------------------------------
    http://lvbandmore.blogspot.com/

Not surprising as most people posting on that forum would obviously be keen Beethoven chamber music lovers otherwise we might expect a reverse order! Interesting how Razumovsky no.1 ranks higher than others of the set, it is also my favourite. I have a version of the Grosse fugue and the string quartet Op.131 for string orchestra and the effect is quite different, but really powerful and moving.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      I have a version of the Grosse fugue and the string quartet Op.131 for string orchestra and the effect is quite different, but really powerful and moving.
      I have a couple string versions of the Grosse Fugue, too - as well as a Mahler-arranged Serioso Op.95. They are quite different, yes. And interesting in the way that Liszt's piano transcriptions of the symphonies are interesting. Speaking of alternate arrangements I actually like the Op 104 string quintet arrangement more than the original arrangement for piano trio (Op 1/3). I'm pretty sure B did that one himself. Or at least he corrected and approved it.

Comment

Originally posted by djmomo17 View Post
        I have a couple string versions of the Grosse Fugue, too - as well as a Mahler-arranged Serioso Op.95. They are quite different, yes. And interesting in the way that Liszt's piano transcriptions of the symphonies are interesting. Speaking of alternate arrangements I actually like the Op 104 string quintet arrangement more than the original arrangement for piano trio (Op 1/3). I'm pretty sure B did that one himself. Or at least he corrected and approved it.

Yes Beethoven arranged it in response to an arrangement of it my Kaufmann which Beethoven though critical of, used as a basis for his own version with this on the copyists manuscript "Trio arranged as a 3 part quintet by Mr.Goodwill (Herr Kaufmann), and from a semblance of five parts brought to the light of day as five genuine parts, and at the same time raised from the most abject misery to some degree of respectability by Mr.Wellwisher (Himself), 14 August 1817.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by djmomo17 View Post
          Thought this might be interesting to post here: over at the Amazon Classical music forum they just finished a Beethoven string quartet elimination game and these were the final results (from most valued to least)

1 (tie) - #14 Op. 131 in c-sharp minor - 20
          1 (tie) - #15 Op. 132 in a minor - 20
          2 - #13a Op. 130 in B-flat with Grosse Fuge - 19
          3 - #7 Op. 59-1 in F major "1st Razumovsky" - 17
          4 - #11 Op. 95 in f minor "Serioso" - 10
          5 - #12 Op. 127 in E-flat major
          6 - #16 Op. 135 in F major
          7 - #8 Op. 59-2 in e minor "2nd Razumovsky"
          8 - #13b Op. 130 in B-flat with alternate finale
          9 - #10 Op. 74 in E-flat major "Harp"
          10 - #6 Op. 18-6 in B-flat major
          11 - #5 Op. 18-5 in A major
          12 - #1 Op. 18-1 in F major
          13 - #4 Op. 18-4 in c minor
          14 - #3 Op. 18-3 in D major
          15 - #9 Op. 59-3 in C-major "3rd Razumovsky"
          16 - #2 Op. 18-2 in G major

Pretty close to how I would have ranked them, especially the top 10. Except 59.1 first and 133 2nd...

Interesting. For me 131 at the top. For the rest it completely depends on my mood, the time of the day as well as the season. The higher the opus number, the more likely I prefer listening to it in the winter months and vice versa.

Comment

After hearing op. 127 at a concert, it rose to #3 for me. I've gone back and listened to other performances of it, and the Petersens have to full measure of the piece. I would be even more interested in a ranking of performances by string quartet.
            3mmm

Comment

Originally posted by 3mmm View Post
              I would be even more interested in a ranking of performances by string quartet.
              3mmm
              That's a great idea. Here's one person's take.

Personally I like the Takacs and the Budapest (50's) cycles.

Comment

Working...
              X