The Beethoven Reference Site Forums  

Go Back   The Beethoven Reference Site Forums > General > General Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-23-2017, 08:06 AM   #81
Megan

DANGEROUS -Milo Yiannopoulos

Old 08-31-2017, 12:20 AM   #82
Quijote

I have to confess that my reading activity (actual text on real paper) has been very limited of late, I tend to read content on the internet...
That said, I recently read John Irving's Avenue of Mysteries. It took me a while to get into it - I found it frustrating at times - but overall, a satisfying "magical realism" type of novel.
I also have to confess that I'm more into Netflix these days !!
Quijote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:44 PM   #83
Megan

Currently reading:
Music in the Castle of Heaven. A portrait of Johann Sebastian Bach.
by, John Eliot Gardiner.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:59 PM   #84
Decrepit Poster

At 1657 this afternoon, during supper, I concluded my fifth reading of Robert Jordan's A Crown of Swords, book seven of The Wheel of Time. In the past I've felt this to be the volume which began the series' mid-book slump. This time round I noticed little evidence of that, though I did catch slight forewarnings in earlier parts of book six, a volume I previously considered above suspicion. Were I forced single out one plot-line of Crown as being my favorite, I might settle on the search for the Bowl of the Winds in Ebou Dar. That's likely due in large part to it being somewhat Mat centric. Jordan always did right by Mat Cauthon, imo.

I'm now a few pages into book eight, The Path of Daggers.
Decrepit Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:18 PM   #85
Decrepit Poster

At 1135 this morning, just after lunch, I concluded my fourth reading of Robert Jordan's The Path of Daggers, book eight of The Wheel of Time. Next up, Winter's Heart.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:46 PM   #86
Quijote

Struggling with Dante's The Divine Comedy (translated by Clive James, bless him) and Milton's Paradise Lost (in "Plain English" version).
Struggling, because when I care to look down at the pile of books next to my computer, I realize I can't make up any more excuses for not reading all this stuff...
Quijote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:32 PM   #87
Sorrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quijote View Post
Struggling with Dante's The Divine Comedy (translated by Clive James, bless him) and Milton's Paradise Lost (in "Plain English" version).
Struggling, because when I care to look down at the pile of books next to my computer, I realize I can't make up any more excuses for not reading all this stuff...
Does Les Miserables happen to be in that stack? That's a good (long) read, as well.
Sorrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:46 PM   #88
Decrepit Poster

At 1139 today, at the tail end of lunch, I finished my fourth reading of Winter's Heart, book nine of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series. An enjoyable entry. As is often the case, my favorite sections were those centered on Mat Cauthon, who has at last found (or been found out by) the Daughter of the Nine Moons. The book's ending wasn't half bad either.

While I still feel that Jordan's best writing is found in books one through six, I've not yet noticed the mid-series slump I detected during prior readings.

Next up, Crossroads of Twilight.

Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 10-30-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:28 AM   #89
Harvey

Old 11-09-2017, 06:01 PM   #90
Megan

I purchased a beautiful hard back illustrated original , of the A - z of Classical Composers. Brilliant find from a second hand book store.

From the 16th and 17th century through to the classical and romantic periods.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:25 AM   #91
Humoresque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan View Post
DANGEROUS -Milo Yiannopoulos

I'm wondering what you thought about this book. Milo is hugely popular, though I don't always agree with him. I don't have the book and haven't read it, but Milo is part of a movement which is pushing back against the regressive Left (a term coined by the excellent Maajid Nawaz). The scolds, nannies, thought police and moral preeners who finger wag and who only thinly disguise their hatred behind 'the mask of compassion' (adroitly defined by the planetary brain of Jordan Peterson). Milo and Professor Jordan Peterson are going to the UK as they have the same issues to deal with in universities, particularly with the "SJWs", as they're called. As Peterson says, "it only takes a couple of dogs to herd a lot of sheep".
Humoresque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:05 PM   #92
Decrepit Poster

At 1322 this afternoon I concluded my third reading of Robert Jordan's Crossroads of Twilight, book ten of The Wheel of Time. This is the volume I've, in previous readings, considered the series' weakest. I suppose I still do, though I believe I enjoyed it more this time round. For those who might not remember (or never knew) it covers the "progress" of several separate groups of people from soon before to not long after Rand's struggles to cleanse saidin at the climax of book nine, Winter's Heart. Crossroads is mostly plot development with no great battles or magic duels to speak of. As is so often the case in these mid series books, my favorite section was Mat's, near the end.

Next up, Knife of Dreams, in which Jordan largely redeems himself, producing the most exciting volumes in some time. It is also the final entry written before his death and the beginning of Brandon Sanderson's involvement with the concluding books. Leastwise I've considered it Jordan's redemption in the past. We'll see how it goes this time round.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: