• Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Lyrical video featuring a Beethoven Sonata

Experience a fresh new lyrical interpretation
    of a Beethoven sonata by singer Greg Cherone
    and piano virtuoso Nelson Araujo.

Go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIZbuMZ-Q_4

There have been numerous attempts at putting lyrics to this movement (Neil Sedaka's ghastly "Steel Blue Eyes" is one example). Unfortunately, the tune works only on the piano - an example of Beethoven's instrumental melodic style.
    I think this came up before, but at least this guy makes an attempt to sing the other portions of the movement, which is basically a rondo.
    I must confess that the first time I ever heard this tune was in the mid sixties when the comedian Ken Dodd (who also had a few top twenty hits as a singer) brought out a version that went:

"More than love
    If such a thing could be ....."

Mercifully, I have forgotten the rest. But I haven't forgotten the Seekers'
    version of the "Ode to Joy" which was also the first time I heard this tune:

"Take me to the Emerald City ....."

Excuse me, I must take a Valium.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip
      Are they still on sale? Give me ether, any day. Seriously, I think the tune can "work" on other instruments, though generally I'm a bit snobbish about transcriptions. The instruments where I feel a transcription could - conceivably - work would be perhaps the harp or guitar, that is to say, the melody could be supported by the accompanying harmonies. The tune per-se, Michael, works on any instrument.

I have a recording (off-air) of that movement being played on an accordion. I didn't know what the hell I was listening to when it came on - so familiar and so strange. Yes, what I meant to say above is that the tune is purely instrumental. Yes, probably any instrument could handle it except the human voice. Oh, and the didgeridoo.
      Last edited by Michael; 02-03-2010, 03:18 PM.

Comment

The second thing I want to say is to address a message directly to Richard Saunders. Richard, it is quite a brave thing to post what you did on a dedicated Beethoven Forum. .
        Don't worry, Richard. We've all posted much worse.

Comment

The second thing I want to say is to address a message directly to Richard Saunders. Richard, it is quite a brave thing to post what you did on a dedicated Beethoven Forum. If you would like to have my honest opinion, please use your user's control panel and send me a private message, and I will reply to you.
          Philip, are you under the impression that this is Richard's own work? I think he is only passing it on.

Comment

Many THANKS to those curious enough to read
            Richard's thread and click the link to my "Treasured Mem'ries"
            lyrical video. I have been singing & songwriting long enough
            to know that not ev'rybody is going to appreciate what you do.
            I am a fan of Beethoven and these vocals & lyrics are a tribute
            to what he may have been feeling when he composed it.
            There's really nothing more I can say.

Sincerely,

Greg Cherone

Comment

Working...
            X