The Beethoven Reference Site Forums  

Go Back   The Beethoven Reference Site Forums > General > General Discussion

Old 12-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #1
AeolianHarp

What are you watching now?

This atmospheric old film...

Beethoven's Pathetique is played on piano by an elderly lady in an old cinema...

Last edited by AeolianHarp; 12-26-2014 at 10:39 PM.
AeolianHarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:09 PM   #2
Megan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianHarp View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtsHKMQ6048

Beethoven's Pathetique is played on piano by an elderly lady in an old cinema...
Yes, I watched that, it was good .
Megan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
Peter
Administrator

Pasolini's 'The Gospel of Matthew'.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:44 PM   #4
Decrepit Poster

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtsHKMQ6048

This looks to be very good. I watched only the first some minutes thus far but like the atmosphere, soundtrack and music score. Sort of ironic hearing the cinema accompanist play the Pathetique, since listening to Brautigam's rendition is the sole piece of classical music I've heard today.

As for me, I've not watched a movie in its entirety in months. I love film, especially older film, but prefer to listen to music, read, play computer games (not so much any more, but at one time they ate up a huge chunk of my leisure time), or putz around on the internet. Last movie I saw was Sunset Boulevard (the classical Swanson version) via a then newly purchased DVD. Which reminds me I bought Lawrence of Arabia several months prior to that, watched it up to the intermission, and never finished it out. I'll rectify that...some day. heh

Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 12-26-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Decrepit Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
AeolianHarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan View Post
Yes, I watched that, it was good .
Yes- good old film! You'd like it too DP! Now I am watching The Illusionist.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:33 AM   #6
AeolianHarp

Anyone been watching Poldark ( the new BBC adaptation)? I love it!
Old 03-24-2015, 06:23 AM   #7
Peter
Administrator

Lightbulb

Quote:
Anyone been watching Poldark ( the new BBC adaptation)? I love it!
The original was superb and I watched that a few months ago on dvd having first seen it as a teenager back in the 70's - the books are also excellent. My brother says the new adaptation is very good but I'll wait for the dvd release as I rarely watch tv these days.

I'm watching on dvd the Joan Hickson Miss Marple which was by far the best version.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:15 PM   #8
AeolianHarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
The original was superb and I watched that a few months ago on dvd having first seen it as a teenager back in the 70's - the books are also excellent. My brother says the new adaptation is very good but I'll wait for the dvd release as I rarely watch tv these days.

I'm watching on dvd the Joan Hickson Miss Marple which was by far the best version.
I used to watch the 70s one with my Mum as a little girl. We loved it. I don't remember much of it though. I've seen clips on you tube, but I find the new one better- they used stage sets instead of old properties as in the new one, so the new one is more authentic like that.
I don't know how you can not watch it and buy DVDs Peter- it's free on iplayer! I am going crazy for the next episode! Aiden Turner is great as Ross Poldark. My Mum likes the new Poldark series also.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:41 PM   #9
Decrepit Poster

As something of a history buff I tend to watch a lot of documentary type films and series at YouTube. I'm also a great fan of early cinema. As such I can't resist re-watching what I consider the best visual depiction on the silent film era, Hollywood, part one of which is found here. Besides being extremely well made, it is old enough to include a great many filmed comments by silent movie participants, including some of the "greats". Sadly, it's not allowed to be distributed on disk, making its on-again off-again appearance at YouTube about the only way I know to see it. I was once available on Laserdisc, but I didn't have the foresight to acquire it back then.

ADDENDUM: Keeping with my cinema history theme, I just watched a documentary of sorts on an aborted early attempt to bring Robert Graves "I, Claudius" to the screen. It was of special interest to me as I was totally unaware of this project. A shame it never saw the light of day. Surviving footage shows some very fine acting by Charles Laughton in the title role.

Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 03-24-2015 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:53 AM   #10
Decrepit Poster

Recent non music related viewing has centered on history:

Holbein: Eye of the Tudors which I enjoyed very much.

Inside the Body of Henry VIII, an enjoyable documentary I've seen before.

Secrets of the Virgin Queen, which I consider more shockumentary than documentary. But it does contain some interesting food for thought so long as one doesn't take the scenarios it proposes for more than they are worth.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:03 PM   #11
AeolianHarp

I've seen them DP.
I am still addicted to Poldark.
Irish Aiden Turner...oh my goodness..

[IMG]
Old 04-13-2015, 01:36 PM   #12
Decrepit Poster

Most of my recent music observation has revolved around interviews and documentaries. After much internal debate I decided to link them here rather than in our "What are you listening to now?" thread.

"From Toscanini to Abbado - The History of the Lucerne Festival Orchestra". Entertaining and informative, it includes excerpts from a number of fine performances previously unknown to me. Its only major fault is that, while not ancient, it breaks off during Abbado's first years at the helm. Mostly in English, you'll want captions on to catch everything.

"Everything you wanted to know about Conductors - but were afraid to ask". A 1993 documentary with too many shockumentary elements to suit me. Very mixed feeling about this one. Worth a watch, but caution must be exercised.

An Interview with Richard Goode. Nothing spectacular here. Just an honest talk with a fine pianist.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:46 PM   #13
AeolianHarp

Poldark

It was the last Poldark on Sunday..
A whole year to wait for the next series...it feels like eternity. It is by far the best period drama I've ever seen, and I have seen loads in my life as I am crazy about period dramas. It seems many people think so too as it has had huge ratings- the highest in decades I have heard. It's that good I have to watch each episode twice, and the music is stunning and by a female composer!

http://www.annedudley.co.uk/Default....ge=99&node=113
Old 04-29-2015, 11:30 AM   #14
Decrepit Poster

Just finished watching a short video entitled The Classical Comeback at YouTube. I sympathize with the presenters stated aim of exposing classical music in an "appealing" way to audiences who otherwise have little to no knowledge and/or interest in it. It's a laudable goal in a day and age where fewer and fewer are exposed to it in any meaningful way at school and almost no one outside already musical families is exposed at home.

Beyond that . . . eeeep! Those dancing girls (if that's what they're doing) did less than nothing for me, and I like ogling lovely women as well as anyone. (I didn't find their attire and movements particularly sexy, assuming that was the intent, but maybe they seem so to the young crowd for who this is geared.) But hey, if watching this sort of thing ultimately converts the unwashed masses into true classical connoisseurs I'll not whine too loudly. The question is, will it? What do you think?

Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 04-29-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:29 PM   #15
Decrepit Poster

As I've likely mentioned in the past, I'm a fan of select films from all genre and periods, with a special interest in the silent era. A major stumbling block nowadays is that silents are often available only as inferior presentations that do them little justice. Missing/poorly edited footage. Wrong projection speed. Deteriorated image. Missing tinting and/or special colorizing. Lost or unused original music score, inadequately substituted. And so on.

I recently got back into collecting silent film on disc after not having done so (with a few notable exceptions) in quite a few years, and am happy to report that at least some are beginning to receive suitable quality restorations that allows them to make an affect similar to what their initial audiences experienced. I want to single out a few.

First and foremost, Nosferatu, a Symphony of Horror. This movie is often cited as one of the best of the silents. I attempted to watch it in past via decidedly subpar presentations, and never understood what all the fuss was about. To my delight, several months ago I chanced on a top notch restoration with excellent if soft image quality, free from almost all anomalies. What's more, the film's original music score back in place, performed by full orchestra. And quite a score it is. The combo of music and imagery had me mesmerized from the start. I researched to find out exactly which restoration it was and ordered it on DVD off Amazon. I have watched it many times since then and now consider it an all-time favorite. Here's what I saw and heard at YouTube that led to my purchase:

Nosferatu, A Symphony of Horrors

Battleship Potemkin has also received a fine restoration with its original music score in place. Here's the famous Odessa Steps scene. (It begins with the local populous coming out to show support for the mutineer seamen, followed by the arrival and retaliation of the authorities. For whatever reason the uploader chose to tack on a few unnecessary seconds from the films very end. A distraction but not a lease breaker.)
Old 05-19-2016, 12:34 PM   #16
AeolianHarp

Nosferatu is scary! I have seen it on a big screen with people I know playing music live to it..

What am I watching these days?

Mostly you tube ( no tv and what is on iplayer at the moment is mostly rubbish):

Classic old tv series!

The Twilight Zone
One Step Beyond
Tales of Tomorrow
Dark Shadows.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:29 PM   #17
Sorrano

Quote:
Nosferatu is scary! I have seen it on a big screen with people I know playing music live to it..

Mostly you tube ( no tv and what is on iplayer at the moment is mostly rubbish):

Classic old tv series!

The Twilight Zone
One Step Beyond
Tales of Tomorrow
Dark Shadows.

Nice to see another Dark Shadows fan!
Sorrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:30 PM   #18
Peter
Administrator

Lightbulb

Quote:

Classic old tv series!

The Twilight Zone
One Step Beyond
Tales of Tomorrow
Dark Shadows.
Absolutely - I'm watching Bramwell on Youtube!
Old 05-19-2016, 02:47 PM   #19
Decrepit Poster

Over the past several days I watched the first four episodes of my newly acquired DVD set of the 1970s BBC series, I Claudius. I hadn't seen it since its initial PBS airing. It's every bit as good as I remember.

Also recently acquired, an upgrade to my early DVD era copy of All Quiet On The Western Front, an all time favorite. The new edition sports improved/restored image and sound, and comes with both DVD and blu-ray discs. I intended to watch only the beginning to verify its improvements, but ended up seeing the whole thing.

I bought an upgrade to my laserdisc of D.W. Griffith's Intolerance, again for improved image quality and, in this case, a specially composed orchestral score by Carl Davis, whose silent film work I admire. Alas, I am unable to watch it for now, not having made the jump to blu-ray. I plan to do so, but am not yet sure when I'll take the plunge.

Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 05-19-2016 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:22 PM   #20
Peter
Administrator

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decrepit Poster View Post
Over the past several days I watched the first four episodes of my newly acquired DVD set of the 1970s BBC series, I Claudius. I hadn't seen it since its initial PBS airing. It's every bit as good as I remember.

Also recently acquired, an upgrade to my early DVD era copy of All Quiet On The Western Front, an all time favorite. The new edition sports improved/restored image and sound, and comes with both DVD and blu-ray discs. I intended to watch only the beginning to verify its improvements, but ended up seeing it whole thing.

I also bought an upgrade to my laserdisc of D.W. Griffith's Intolerance, again for improved image quality and, in this case, a specially composed orchestral score by Carl Davis, whose silent film work I admire. Alas, I am unable to watch it for now, not having made the jump to blu-ray. I plan to do so, but am not yet sure when I'll take the plunge.
Yes the excellent I Claudius is also in my collection - superb drama that just shows how far the BBC has sunk these days. The last really good thing they did was Bleak House, well worth getting if you don't have it already!
Old 05-19-2016, 11:06 PM   #21
Decrepit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Yes the excellent I Claudius is also in my collection - superb drama that just shows how far the BBC has sunk these days. The last really good thing they did was Bleak House, well worth getting if you don't have it already!
Funny, but I often think of modern day BBC as being light-years better than our PBS. Not that I doubt BBC was itself likely better in days gone by. I never heard of Bleak House. Will see if any of it is available at YouTube. Speaking of I Claudius, I watched episode five this afternoon.

ADDENDUM: This evening I watched episodes six and seven of I Claudius.

Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 05-20-2016 at 02:12 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:58 AM   #22
Hollywood

Another big Dark Shadows fan here. I was 10 years old when it was first aired on TV back in 1966. By that time I was already a huge fan of anything that had to do with vampires so needless to say Barnabas Collins was my favorite character from the show. I even have a couple of the Dark Shadow books that came out back in 1969, like "Barnabas Collins In a Funny Vein" and "Barnabas Collins". My copy of "The Dark Shadows Companion, 25th Anniversary Collection" is one of my so called coffee table books. Another huge thrill for me was going to see the movie House of Dark Shadows in the Kino when it premiered back in 1970.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:31 PM   #23
Sorrano

I couldn't wait to get home from school to catch the next episode of Dark Shadows, but always had to go to a neighbor's house to watch it as my parents didn't want us watching Soap Operas. Had they any idea this one was about vampires and werewolves I would have been in big trouble.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:54 AM   #24
Decrepit Poster

Yesterday evening I watched episodes eight and nine of I Claudius, the latter of which closes with the death of the god Caligula and Claudius mockingly proclaimed emperor by the guards. I think the series portrays Caligula's descent into madness rather well. Then again it portrays most things rather well.

I checked out a few excerpts from Bleak House at YouTube. What I saw was very impressive. I'll add it to my acquisition list, though I doubt I'll procure it any time soon. Then again, who knows?
Old 05-22-2016, 12:37 PM   #25
Decrepit Poster

Yesterday evening I watched the three final episodes of I Claudius on DVD. Such a marvelous series! It's gonna be hard to follow it up. I have the last two episodes of GOT season 1, and the entirety of season 2, on disc to watch, but can't seem to drum up the enthusiasm to do so.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:02 AM   #26
AeolianHarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrano View Post
I couldn't wait to get home from school to catch the next episode of Dark Shadows, but always had to go to a neighbor's house to watch it as my parents didn't want us watching Soap Operas. Had they any idea this one was about vampires and werewolves I would have been in big trouble.

Dark Shadows is my favourite TV show of all time. Barnabas Collins is so compelling, charismatic and fascinating ( he's also extremely handsome- those eyes.... )

LOL that you used to watch it sneakily.

As a Brit I stood no chance of ever seeing it on TV had I been of that era- since it was never sent over to Britain. Big mistake I say as us Brits love Gothic, ghosts, spooky stuff etc- we pretty much invented the Gothic genre.

I believe some episodes were shown in the 1990s on satellite TV ( which few people had), so it is virtually unknown over here- which is a shame!!!

So, how do I know it? YOU TUBE! Hurray for you tube!

Who are your favourite characters?

Mine:
Barnabas
Quentin
Julia Hoffman
Roger
Eliot Stokes
Old 05-23-2016, 10:06 AM   #27
AeolianHarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Another big Dark Shadows fan here. I was 10 years old when it was first aired on TV back in 1966. By that time I was already a huge fan of anything that had to do with vampires so needless to say Barnabas Collins was my favorite character from the show. I even have a couple of the Dark Shadow books that came out back in 1969, like "Barnabas Collins In a Funny Vein" and "Barnabas Collins". My copy of "The Dark Shadows Companion, 25th Anniversary Collection" is one of my so called coffee table books. Another huge thrill for me was going to see the movie House of Dark Shadows in the Kino when it premiered back in 1970.

I just saw your post too! I was never that into vampires, so I didn't start watching it for this- I was hooked after episode 3, but when Barnabas showed up- OMG- he really grabbed my attention. I adore him- he's gorgeous and captivating!
Have you got the DVDs then?

Last edited by AeolianHarp; 05-23-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:34 PM   #28
Sorrano

Barnabas was always my favorite character. This may sound strange, but I did like Angelique, too. Did you see the brief revival series with Ben Cross as Barnabas? Personally, I thought they did a great job on it, but sadly it was cancelled.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:42 PM   #29
AeolianHarp

Quote:
Barnabas was always my favorite character.
He's awesome! I usually watch at least one episode a day. I have seen them all now and am on a second watching.

Quote:
This may sound strange, but I did like Angelique, too.
I can't stand her! Such a wicked horrible creature! I loved it when Ben Stokes and Barnabas torched her when Barnabas returned to 1796 to save Vicki and Peter Bradford.

Quote:
Did you see the brief revival series with Ben Cross as Barnabas? Personally, I thought they did a great job on it, but sadly it was cancelled.
That's never been shown over here, though I saw a few clips on you tube. I have to say it didn't grab me- the original actors can't be beaten!
Old 05-24-2016, 01:28 PM   #30
Sorrano

Quentin Collins bothered me but only because that seemed to take away from Barnabas. I did watch both the movies that were done, mostly by the original actors, and did enjoy both of them. The boy I did not like at all, can't remember his name. Unfortunately, as I could only watch this at a neighbor's house I did not get to see very many episodes at all, but eventually purchased a CD set (I think volume 8) and enjoyed that quite a bit.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:36 PM   #31
Decrepit Poster

Friday afternoon I watched my newly acquired Kino Restored Deluxe Edition DVD of F.W. Murnau's The Last Laugh. I viewed the restored German version, which includes the original 1924 music score by Giuseppe Becce, performed by the Saarbrucken Radio Symphony Orchestra. (A second disc houses the unrestored 'export' version with a special written orchestra score by Timothy Brock.) I had not seen the film before, except in excerpt. I enjoyed it. Even its tacked on 'happy' ending, though that came close to overstaying its welcome.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:07 AM   #32
Harvey

Massenet's Le Cid on You Tube with Placido Domingo as Le Cid and with English subtitles.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:26 PM   #33
Peter
Administrator

Wonderful and rare 1962 interview with the remarkably gifted and beautiful pianist Harriet Cohen who was friends with all the great musicians and writers and influential of her day - Einstein, Casals, Manuel de Falla, Sibelius, Elgar, Picasso, Bax, Beaverbrook, Bernard Shaw, D.H.Lawrence - she knew them all.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:40 PM   #34
Peter
Administrator

For those who didn't see the it first time around here is the excellent BBC series 'Great Composers' kicking off with Bach.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: