Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beethoven Documentary on BBC 2 Tonight (28th May)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven Documentary on BBC 2 Tonight (28th May)

Sorry about the short notice but I only found out about it this minute.
    "The Secret of Beethoven's Fifth" is on BBC 2 tonight at 9pm (That's TV, not radio, for those who can access it.)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07dpqv9

I think it's linked to a performance tomorrow night (Sunday 29th) on BBC 4 (TV) but I can't verify this.

And if that's not enough Beethoven for you, Classic FM are broadcasting (or streaming) the Ninth Symphony live tonight from their website. This can't be accessed outside the U.K.

Last edited by Michael; 05-28-2016, 12:13 PM.

Thanks for that Michael - I was out last night so missed the documentary (will watch later) but you're correct, the 5th is on tonight at 7.00pm on BBC4, followed by a short program of Mozart arias. Here's the iplayer link for the documentary for those like me who missed it or couldn't access it.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...fifth-symphony
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

It's almost certain to turn up on YouTube for all those who can't get the BBC.

It was quite a good documentary but don't expect any great "secrets" about the Fifth Symphony. About twenty years ago, John Eliot Gardiner did a similar programme where he demonstrated links between songs and music of revolutionary France and themes from the symphony.

This time it was mostly a tour around Bonn, Vienna and Paris - beautiful in high definition - and the usual suspects, such as John Suchet - were giving their two cents worth. The unlikely presenter, Ian Hislop was very good indeed and hopefully this documentary will have attracted a lot of viewers who don't normally listen to Beethoven.

Comment

Thanks Michael! It will be nice to see Bonn!
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
        Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
          Thanks Michael! It will be nice to see Bonn!
          I was there three months ago but I'm not in the documentary.

Comment

Watched the 5th last night - personally I thought the tempi in the 2nd and 3rd movts were too fast, but enjoyed the sound of the period instruments. I'll watch the documentary later this week.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes - they positively scampered through the middle movements, but I was glad to see that Gardiner observed the repeat in the scherzo. Due to Beethoven's dithering, nine out of ten performances omit this - and then go on to include the exposition repeat in the finale which leads to a surfeit of C major. This performance was nicely balanced, formally and acoustically.

Someone should have had a word with Beethoven about the scherzo. Honestly, if I'm not there myself .........

Comment

Finally got round to watching the documentary on the 5th - very interesting and worthwhile.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                  Watched the 5th last night - personally I thought the tempi in the 2nd and 3rd movts were too fast, but enjoyed the sound of the period instruments. I'll watch the documentary later this week.
                  Period instruments you say? Gosh I must watch this tomorrow when having lunch!!
                  Ludwig van Beethoven
                  Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

I'm a few mins in- The opening and 1st mvt sound perfect to me, but then I'm an HIP nut who listens to mostly period performances anyway! I agree with John Eliot on the tempos- play what Beethoven wrote folks! The 5th is meant to hit you in the guts!
                    Ludwig van Beethoven
                    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                      I'm a few mins in- The opening and 1st mvt sound perfect to me, but then I'm an HIP nut who listens to mostly period performances anyway! I agree with John Eliot on the tempos- play what Beethoven wrote folks! The 5th is meant to hit you in the guts!
                      Yes the first movt is a good tempo, it was the 2nd movt and particularly the trio in the 3rd which I think are just too rushed.
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes the first movt is a good tempo, it was the 2nd movt and particularly the trio in the 3rd which I think are just too rushed.
                        All the tempos sound perfect to me, and as for the period violin- wow, just wow- what a difference!
                        Ludwig van Beethoven
                        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                          I was there three months ago but I'm not in the documentary.
                          Lucky you- would love to go there!
                          Ludwig van Beethoven
                          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

on you tube

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrr4HcniQT0[/YOUTUBE]
                            Ludwig van Beethoven
                            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

That was quick! Well worth a look for those who can't get the BBC.

Comment

Working...
                              X