Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven concerts you have been to/going to

A new thread to share..

I saw his piano concerto no 3 on Thursday night played by Fazil Say- he was very good!
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

I am heading out in about an hour to see Beethoven's 6th. It is being webcast and so will be at this page: http://www.dso.org/Live.aspx

Concert starts 8 pm today Eastern Daylight Time.

Michelle Merrill, conductor

Program

Dvorák--Carnival Overture, Op. 92
    Piston--Suite from The Incredible Flutist
    Vanhal--Concerto for double bass in E-flat major
    Beethoven--Symphony No. 6, "Pastorale"
    "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
    --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

How was the concert Harvey?
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
        How was the concert Harvey?
        Excellent. Each piece was better than the previous one, but of course the 6th was fantastic! My son and I saw the Fifth last fall (Muti and CSO) and he remarked that he thinks he likes the 6th better than the 5th. I hold them both very highly and have a couple single disk sets that include both 5th and 6th (Blomsted and Munch). The thing is, it is always over too quickly.

It was especially interesting watching the drums as the thunder was rolling.

Next year (May 2017) they are doing Beethoven's Ninth!
        "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."

Comment

The Phoenix Symphony performed Beethoven's Ninth back in September for their seasonal opening. Always great and impressive!
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
            Excellent. Each piece was better than the previous one, but of course the 6th was fantastic! My son and I saw the Fifth last fall (Muti and CSO) and he remarked that he thinks he likes the 6th better than the 5th. I hold them both very highly and have a couple single disk sets that include both 5th and 6th (Blomsted and Munch). The thing is, it is always over too quickly.

Yes, I liked seeing the 6th during the thunder too!

Here is a great painting someone did of the thunder:

https://in.pinterest.com/pin/353814114452159271/
            Ludwig van Beethoven
            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
              The Phoenix Symphony performed Beethoven's Ninth back in September for their seasonal opening. Always great and impressive!
              Yes, it is meant to be seen live!
              Ludwig van Beethoven
              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Fascinating painting!
                Last edited by Harvey; 04-07-2016, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Always interesting to see someone's interpretation in regards to art and music. Thanks for that.

Comment

Glad you liked it Harvey and Joy. I paint abstracts of classical music myself and have done some of Beethoven's music also:

https://edwardianpiano.wordpress.com...sic-and-verse/

I am working on more.
                    Ludwig van Beethoven
                    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Glad you liked it Harvey and Joy. I paint abstracts of classical music myself and have done some of Beethoven's music also:

I am working on more.
                      Very, very well done and I especially like The Tempest and the overlays as well. They're all very artistic and interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post

I decided not to go to the May 2017 Ninth at the Detroit Symphony.

What, not go to the Ninth!

No, seriously, I like Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor much better and I just found out they are doing the Ninth next February with the Budapest symphony. I also plan to go the following Month to Hill Auditorium as the Ann Arbor symphony performs Beethoven's Missa Solemnis. What a wonderful year 2017 will be.

Comment

Three performances of the Seventh in one month

I attended the Simon Rattle/Berlin Philharmonic filmed performance that was simulcast in theaters a month ago (deep and spirited), then the Princeton University Orchestra under Michael Pratt, which performed three movements of the Seventh during a ballet about Beethoven's loss of hearing and his ultimate triumph (technical issues overcome by excellent timing, pacing, feeling). That was by the American Repertory Ballet in Princeton, N.J. Finally, this past Friday, it was the principal guest conductor of the Philadelphia Orchestra, Stephane Deneve, conducting a rendition that started a bit slow and predictable, but warmed up culminating in a conclusion of wonderful frenzy. I am in Seventh heaven! :-)
                          "Just because you're not famous, doesn't mean you're not great!"

Comment

Beautiful work, Aeolian Harp!

I am working on more.
                            "Just because you're not famous, doesn't mean you're not great!"

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
                              Very, very well done and I especially like The Tempest and the overlays as well. They're all very artistic and interesting. Thank you for sharing.
                              Thank you Joy.
                              Ludwig van Beethoven
                              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
                              X