Pierre Boulez R.I.P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pierre Boulez R.I.P

One of the dominant figures of 20th century classical music has passed away aged 90.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35241250
    'Man know thyself'

Are there any good conductors left? Sad to hear of his passing.

Comment

This is sad indeed. Just a few days ago there was a rerun of the French show Apostrophes where he was interviewed by Bernard Pivot (probably dating back from the late 80s). An interesting man (a little arrogant I thought but so was Beethoven...)

However, I must humbly say that I do not get his most famous work "Le Marteau Sans Maitre". The title is quite attractive but for me it ends there...I gave the work a few trials and even today I went on YouTube to listen to it. LVB Grosse fugue is a lot more intelligible to me than Boulez's masterpiece. I am not saying there is nothing there, not at all. But I cannot (yet) wrap my head around it! Does any one of you can? If so, how does one open up to that piece?

Comment

Originally posted by PaulD View Post
        This is sad indeed. Just a few days ago there was a rerun of the French show Apostrophes where he was interviewed by Bernard Pivot (probably dating back from the late 80s). An interesting man (a little arrogant I thought but so was Beethoven...)

However, I must humbly say that I do not get his most famous work "Le Marteau Sans Maitre". The title is quite attractive but for me it ends there...I gave the work a few trials and even today I went on YouTube to listen to it. LVB Grosse fugue is a lot more intelligible to me than Boulez's masterpiece. I am not saying there is nothing there, not at all. But I cannot (yet) wrap my head around it! Does any one of you can? If so, how does one open up to that piece?
        Whilst I admire Boulez as a conductor and musician, I cannot fathom his music!
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          Whilst I admire Boulez as a conductor and musician, I cannot fathom his music!
          That's a relief. I thought it was just me!

Comment

Well, that already makes three of us....let's see if anyone in this forum gets that piece. I wonder what it would mean if none of us did? We all have a taste for classical/serious music. Could it be that truly contemporary music is still inaccessible to us? Perhaps another 50 yrs will be necessary for the piece to become mainstream?

Comment

Make that four. As for great conductors still left, there's plenty of wonderful new(er) talent around.
              Of course, there are a number of very big names that are now reaching a very respectable age: Haitink, Marriner, Blomstedt, just to name a few. Harnoncourt has just announced his retirement.

Comment

Working...
              X