This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hal9000 View Post
    I'm listening to Mozart Piano Concertos by Gardiner on Spotify, who knew they had such a large range of classical music. Honestly there's not a bad concerto in the set - so many masterpieces.
    I much preferred his concerti to his symphonies.

Comment

Listening to Beethoven's first two symphonies. I used to neglect these works, but the older I get the more I appreciate them. I often times go back and listen to Beethoven's strictly Classical music and take a break from the emotionally heavy hitters like the 3rd, 5th and 9th, and these two symphonies are like a breath of fresh air.

Comment

Mendelssohn: Symphony's No. 1 and 5

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
          I much preferred his concerti to his symphonies.
          So does the rest of the world. Alfred Einstein, the author of the famous biography on Mozart, wrote about this in the chapter on the Mozart Piano Concertos.
          Zevy

Comment

I don't know if it's a special state of mind I am in or what, but I think this is one of the wonders of the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHw2d_C24rU

I don't know about Menuhin, but the singer ... The conductor, well, is not one of the great names, but I don't mind that. I think the performance is extraordinary.
            Last edited by Enrique; 07-10-2017, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Brahms Intermezzo op.117 no.2 - beautiful piece played by someone you don't usually associate with Brahms, Glen Gould.
              [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3iQa7EtEmc[/YOUTUBE]
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Peter, I've heard this particular one several times on the local classical station but do not remember who played. However, I lament that they only play this one, it seems, and not the others, as well. I like Gould's touch on this one, thank you for posting it!

Comment

I've just watched Igor Levit's stunning performance of Beethoven's Third Piano Concerto on the first night of the Proms.
                  The pianist said it was his favourite concerto and you can see that in his performance. The cadenza of the first movement alone is worth the price of admission.
                  And as an encore, after all these pyrotechnics, he played a deceptively simple version of the "Ode to Joy"!

Comment

Mendelssohn: Symphony No. 2. This is one that should be heard more often.

Comment

My favorite recording of the Choral Fantasy:
                      London Philharmonic Orchestra.
                      Bernard Haitink conducting.
                      Alfred Brendel, piano.
                      https://youtu.be/E145w0qRc4w
                      "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                      --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Mozart PC #20 in D minor/Perahia/ECO.
                        A marvelous performance. That 2nd movement had great moments. I highly recommend it.
                        Zevy

Comment

Friedrich Wilhelm Rust (1739-96) sonata no.11 in F# minor - interesting performance here on a rare 'Tangent ' piano.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zlb57-LNac[/YOUTUBE]
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Mendelssohn: Symphony No. 3

Comment

I heard Serkin play Bach's Italian Concerto on the radio on the way to an early car maintenance appointment this morning. It made getting up early worth it!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                                Friedrich Wilhelm Rust (1739-96) sonata no.11 in F# minor - interesting performance here on a rare 'Tangent ' piano.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zlb57-LNac[/YOUTUBE]
                                Interesting performance indeed, Peter - thank you for the "heads up" regarding the 'Tangent' piano which is totally new to me. Do you know if the 'Tangent' would have been an instrument known to Beethoven?

Comment

Working...
                                X