A welcome mat for curious readers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    When I opened it I thought PDG had returned to the fold! Then I saw the date.
    And the replies from almost 18 years ago!

Don't do things like that to us, Megan!!!

Well,to soften the blow, I hope you were sitting down when you discovered a reply here after so long!
    🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      When I opened it I thought PDG had returned to the fold! Then I saw the date.
      And the replies from almost 18 years ago!

Don't do things like that to us, Megan!!!
      I had the same reaction here. Then I saw Rod's reply and realized this wasn't new.

Comment

And here I thought the old gang was back together again!
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
          And here I thought the old gang was back together again!
          Happy days! .
          🎹

Comment

I too was thinking that this was a blast from the past and that the old gang was back again. Then I noticed the year date of those posts to see that it was way back in 2000. How time flies when you're having fun...
            "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
              I too was thinking that this was a blast from the past and that the old gang was back again. Then I noticed the year date of those posts to see that it was way back in 2000. How time flies when you're having fun...
              Indeed, it's 14 years since we met up with Bernard in Vienna!
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                Indeed, it's 14 years since we met up with Bernard in Vienna!
                Ah yes, I remember it well...
                "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
                  Ah yes, I remember it well...
                  Actually it'll be 15 years this August - I remember it was during the heatwave. Had a really great time and hope to come back some day soon and this time make it up the Kahlenberg!
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                    Actually it'll be 15 years this August - I remember it was during the heatwave. Had a really great time and hope to come back some day soon and this time make it up the Kahlenberg!
                    Spring or Fall would be the better times of the year to come to Vienna. The summers here lately have been hotter than normal and Austria is a country where A/C is few and far between. Due to my heat sensitive fibromyalgia I end up having to avoid going out into the heat. This means that a good 95% of my summer days are spent in my flat with the window shades pulled down and drinking iced tea.

So Peter, if you visit here again and it's not during the summer heat, I would love to get together and show you Kahlenberg and maybe see some other places you missed on your last trip here.

Comment

It was PDG who started this thread many years ago. A true Beethoven fan, for some reason he hated (or so he claimed) the composer's folksong arrangements.
                      So, I just came across this news item about a current performance of these works (roughly 140 of them!) in the Beethovenhaus in Bonn.
                      If you're out there, PDG, this is for you:

http://www.dw.com/en/bthvn-week-expl...sic/a-42306468

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                        Hi everyone!

During this lull in bulletin board activity, I thought it might be nice to try & encourage some new people to share their views on Beethoven with the rest of us. This is a great site, but it could do with some new blood.

Maybe some people think that they`re not `expert` enough to post, but they`re wrong
                        No one knows it all - I`m learning all the time - and even if people can`t really give reasons as to why they enjoy certain pieces, I`d still like to read about what they like. Or what they don`t!

So how about it, friends? You can still post in time for Christmas!
                        Hi!

I'm currently listening Op. 127 played by the Cleveland Quartet. Fantastic work as usual.

Needless to say, I like a lot of his music; here are a few that come to mind (in no particular order):

Missa solemnis
                        Piano Concertos 3 and 4
                        An die ferne Geliebte, op. 98
                        String Quartets (all of them; favourite here would be ABC quartets--particularly No. 14)
                        Piano Sonatas (can't go wrong with these; absolutely in love with op. 111)
                        Cello Sonatas, op. 5
                        Symphonies (9th, 3rd, 5th especially)
                        Piano Trio 5 'Ghost'
                        Coriolan

Seeing as this is an old thread, I do hope this post finds you somewhere out there.
                        Last edited by Jacred; 02-09-2018, 08:36 PM.
                        He fled the world because he did not find, in the whole compass of his loving nature, a weapon with which to resist it.

Comment

Welcome, Jacred! You've got a nice cross-section of Beethoven's works there. And of course there are hidden gems around every corner!

Comment

Yes indeed! Welcome to the forum, Jacred. Always nice to see a new face here.

Comment

This old thread is getting some amazing results! Welcome to the forum!

Comment

Welcome aboard Jacred, Nice selection of Beethoven's works. Have you been to any performances?
                                🎹

Comment

Working...
                                X