No announcement yet.

Composition Quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that you mention it, it does sound very Beethoven-ish. So much so that I will kick myself if it is and I didn't hear it initially.

Comment

Sounds very like the second movement from Beethoven's secular cantata: "Der Glorreiche Augenblick"?

Comment

Congratulation, Michael, yes, it is the "Glorreiche Augenblick". It is the conclusion of this wonderful Aria with choir starting at 18:25 of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmHXWVnbvuM

Indeed, hal9000, it does sound "very,very Beethoven-isch", actually I cannot think of anyone else who could have written it. It reminds me also of the Opferlied op.121b.

I wonder why we as friends of Beethovens, including me, have overseen this work so far...

.... enjoy also the jubilent ending starting at 30:10 :-)

Comment

Originally posted by gprengel View Post

I wonder why we as friends of Beethovens, including me, have overseen this work so far...

I'm remedying that situation now and giving your link a listen

Comment

Lovely arrangement, by the way. It's had me humming the tune all morning.
            Incidentally, the chorus at the end of the cantata includes children's voices for the first and only time in Beethoven's work!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Lovely arrangement, by the way. It's had me humming the tune all morning.
              same with me! I can't get the melody out of my head anymore -so beautiful ... :-)

Comment

It's a pity that this work has such a dated and slightly odd libretto - rather like the "Christus am ölberge" oratorio. I think that's what has held these pieces back from being more popular, although the last-mentioned was well-known in England for a while with a different text.

"The Glorious Moment" was also re-published after Beethoven's death with a new text called "Serenade to Music" but I've never been able to come across that version!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  It's a pity that this work has such a dated and slightly odd libretto - rather like the "Christus am ölberge" oratorio. I think that's what has held these pieces back from being more popular, although the last-mentioned was well-known in England for a while with a different text.

"The Glorious Moment" was also re-published after Beethoven's death with a new text called "Serenade to Music" but I've never been able to come across that version!
                  Well done for getting that Michael - It's an awful long time since I listened to it and it obviously didn't make a great impression at the time, but Gerd's excerpt is really beautiful and I'll give it another go!
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Well, this was fun. If you like this kind of quiz - something else?

Then whose musical language are these so beautiful pieces?
                    (I love it to recognise a composer even if I never have heard the work before!)

www.gerdprengel.de/piece4.mp3

www.gerdprengel.de/piece5.mp3

Gerd

Comment

That first piece is absolutely beautiful but I don't know who wrote it. I'll leave it to the experts with wider musical knowledge (i.e. not totally obsessed with a certain deaf composer.)

But you are really scraping the bottom of the Beethoven barrel with the second one! (For obscurity, I mean.)

Another work composed during the Congress of Vienna, it's the "Chorus for the Allied Princes."

Last edited by Michael; 05-17-2017, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Well, this was fun. If you like this kind of quiz - something else?

Then whose musical language are these so beautiful pieces?
                        (I love it to recognise a composer even if I never have heard the work before!)

www.gerdprengel.de/piece4.mp3

www.gerdprengel.de/piece5.mp3

Gerd
                        I'll stick my neck out again and go for Mendelssohn for the first one. You're certainly finding some gems Gerd (please keep them coming), lovely piece whoever wrote it!
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Classic FM have quite a tricky quiz :
                          http://www.classicfm.com/discover-mu...al-music-quiz/

For what it's worth, I managed 12 out of 20.
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post

I tried that one. Fiendish! I'm too embarrassed to give my low score!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post

10 out of 20 for me. Very difficult!

Comment

11 for me, but a lot were hit and miss.
                                🎹

Comment

Working...
                                X