Op. 119 Bagatelles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Op. 119 Bagatelles

Op. 126 has always been my go-to set of bagatelles. Op. 119, though, is delightfully curious as well.

The first five bagatelles were composed two decades before the other six, which came from the same time period as his last three piano sonatas. From my listening experience, I notice that the mood shifts noticeably during the sixth bagatelle. Nos. 7 - 11 are more pensive and spacious than nos. 1 - 5... excluding the A minor eruption of the 9th bagatelle, I guess.

Interestingly enough, it's debated whether or not the bagatelles were intended to have been published as two sets instead of one.

So... what are your thoughts on op. 119 as a whole?
    He fled the world because he did not find, in the whole compass of his loving nature, a weapon with which to resist it.

I really enjoy both listening to and playing these pieces. They are not very difficult, and as you say, there is a definite difference between the two halves, so playing through these pieces is a way to experience both earlier and later Beethoven without having to have the time or talent of a concert pianist.

Comment

In looking at Beethoven's bagatelles, overall, I feel that each of these is a masterpiece in miniature. Each play through I am always amazed at the economy of notes and the depth of what is being expressed.

Comment

Working...
      X